Brakes slow to release

keg1

if your getting air when unhooking from a trailer out of the service port I take it that you left the supply charged {red knob pushed in} ? if this the case one of several things could be occurring 1st. trailer brakes partly applied. 2nd dirt or sunflower hulls built up under treddle valve {brake peddle} check 1 clean 2 then see what you get from service line. in the other question the qr valves are located next to the diffrentals between the air cans

block the supply line and charge the line then see if you get any air from the service line. if no air apply foot brake and release see if air continues to bleed from service line after application.if air still escapes chase lines back from tractor protection valve to next valve [should be treddle valve] or possably application relay valve, if it go to a relay valve remove the control line and see if air bleeds from control line if no air replace relay valve. if air present chase control line down snd see what supplys it should be treddle valve if so replace treddle after checking for crap between valve and peddal

• 2 weeks later...

Have been laid up with back problems but was able to look at it Thursday night. Jacked up trailer and released brakes and they didn't release completely. Set the brakes then released again hit foot valve and still slow to release. Did it a couple more times and then they worked fine. Ran it Friday and they worked ok. I wouldn't think a valve would have had dirt or something in it because I ran it about 3 days with them dragging when I would stop. I guess i'll worry about it if they start acting up again.

• 3 weeks later...

On my 89 R model when you step on brake pedal and release brakes don't release right away. What valve would be bad?

Only thing that comes to my mind is either the service relay valve or foot valve is bad. If both front and rear brakes are slow to release from a brake application then I would point at the foot valve, especially since when you remove the trailer service line you are getting a little air from it.

• 3 weeks later...

The foot valve has a little cylinder under the pedal that gets dirt in it. Take the pedal off and the rubber surround to get to the aluminum cylinder and make sure it moves freely. I take them out and clean them with emery cloth and antiseize it when I put it back in making sure it moves nice and easy.