1954 Dodge Tractor with 1954 Decker Bros. trailer

Mooseandsqurl

• 3 weeks later...

When my Grandfather sold that truck, it had close to 200,000 on it. It would run several days a week between Clifton and Bayonne, 2 or 3 trips a day. There was also 2 men, a father and son, who had tractors of their own who hauled for a tank line called Ritter. If one of their tractors was down, my Grandfather would let them borrow the Dodge, so, it was kept running even if we weren't using it. Things were much simpler back then. To repay my Grandfather for the use of the truck, on weekends they would haul oil for my Grandfather, using this truck, for free. Whenever they borrowed it, they always returned it fueled and clean. It was one of the best looking trucks on the road. The colors were yellow and red. It was sold to a company that hauled mail when it was 7 years old, and they ran it for about another 5 years until it was retired. A real workhorse that never said no. It was replaced by a 1956 Mack B-70. The colors of the trucks were changed to orange white and blue, as my Grandfather was contracted with Gulf to use their products.

post-3314-0-60843800-1378090715_thumb.jp

Edited by Mooseandsqurl
  • Like 2