Oil Bath Filter

markpwhit

The only way these days to get another element is to go out and get another complete assembly off another truck.

Please explain what has happened. Did the inside get damaged somehow?

If the oil bath element needs to be cleaned it is done by washing down with kerosene or solvent and flushing all the junk out.

Jim

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

thanks to all. metal housing is fine. upon review the actual filtering mesh is crumbling as it appears it is all dried out. i need to replace it as i am afraid some small pieces may get pulled into the motor.

are these hard to find?

usually the filter crumbles because after years the 1/4 plug on top leaks water and the water drips through and gets into the oil and ''perculates'' in the sun. if the filter on the bottom is bad and crumbling(the removable one on the bottom about an 1 1/2 thick) it had most likely taken on water. Mack used at least 3 different types of air cleaners on B models. the smaller one used on a B42 thru B61 non turbo then one that looked the same but had a bigger body on it and then the third is the turbo type with the bonnet on top and heavy duty bracket. we need a picture to show us what type of air cleaner you have. Watts and tidewater Mack used to sell one from Donaldson that replaced the oil bath turbo type with a paper filter on the turbo type air cleaner. this is an easy change as you just need to drill two more mounting holes in the bracket and bolt it up. (ive tried but couldn't get the 4'' hose to line up straight without droppin the air cleaner down and drillin two new holes for the top band)

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

post-12649-0-95703500-1374596958_thumb.jMaddog;

Here is a picture of both my trucks. Both are 1956. The green one is a B-42, while the red/black one is a B-62. The filter in question is for the B-62 with the 673 diesel. Can you tell by this photo. It appears that both rigs have the same size air cans on them.

Thanks for your help.

I ran into problems with mine also, crumbling after I cleaned it and pin holes after I cleaned the oil reservoir, then the hose was full of holes and ...... I found a KN style filter rated for diesel operation and installed that, works fine and easy to clean if you have to.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

yup that red truck has the standard non turbo style air cleaner. that's the one that the pipe plug usually leaks on top and the water leaks thru and rots out the steel wool part of the filter in the bottom. my B613 when we got it had a 413 in it with the air cleaner on top of the engine, someone took the outside air cleaner and cut all the filter guts out of it so its an empty can. could probably do that with yours and just go to Napa and have them measure the canister for a paper filter and forget the oil.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg