8031C Auxiliary Transmission Lube

tilynb61

I have a 64 Mack B755, Quadraplex with a Spicer/ Brown-Lipe 8031C 3 speed Aux box. I am looking to change the lube in the aux box and am wondering what oil to use? I have heard either 50wt motor oil or 85/90 gear oil. Anyone have a manual or know which to use?

Thanks

I always heard 50wt engine oil in Spicers,also.Too heavy (like 80/90) will not lube the needle bearings like the thinner oils.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I put 50w motor oil in my 6xxx series box. Two years now without an issue.

I've heard with the needle bearings, thick grease will not work well especially in cooler climates.

We used 50W in them cause they have needle brgs.Aershell white lable is another 50W that we used in them as well as in road ranger trans.

glenn akers

You need to use straight 50 wt motor oil, but the aviation oil (like Aeroshell) is preferred. Most of the truck parts stores sell 50 wt synthetic transmission oil which I think would be as good, maybe better, since synthetics weren't around when the auxiliary trans' were invented.