GMC's Aero Astro

kscarbel

• 5 years later...

To a certain extent as a follow on, GMC introduced a General conventional with a more aerodynamic hood/fender and a set-back front axle.  Not sure how many were built, seems they were all built in 1987, last year of General production.  I remember seeing a new one in Southern California in late 1987, belonged to a United Van Lines agent.  

Roadway a contractor I worked for in 1994 rented a General SBA tractor for a month from Ryder to haul concrete pipe. They gave us the oldest (wore out) truck they had in the area, because we were going to use it to go off road to unload. We learned a lot about why highway spec. tractor's are no good in off road use. It ran fine on the road, but off road, use less. We ended up hauling the pipe trailer from the road with a old 1965 DM-800, it got the job done.  

6 hours ago, RoadwayR said:

To a certain extent as a follow on, GMC introduced a General conventional with a more aerodynamic hood/fender and a set-back front axle.  Not sure how many were built, seems they were all built in 1987, last year of General production.  I remember seeing a new one in Southern California in late 1987, belonged to a United Van Lines agent.  

The all-new aerodynamic conventional cab (bonnetted) prototype suggests a radical leap forward for GMC Trucks. I certainly hope those trucks are preserved at the GM Heritage center.

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 4a.jpg

Photo 3.jpg