Buying a 1999 Mack CH613, some questions.

I'm buying a 1999 Mack CH613 as a lease purchase. Great company, my dad drove for the almost a decade with never one complaint. Its a nice truck, $16,000 with $2,000 down, $300 per week, 70" mid-roof sleeper, cold ac, 10 spd, in-frame over haul 200,000 miles ago, everything on the chassis is new. But the're two issues I'm wondering about, the fuel gauge doesn't work and the engine fan is always on. If the fuse is good, what are some things to check? Thanks

post-6900-0-65540200-1372443932.jpg

Could be a sending unit on the tank that is bad. Check the fan to see if someone did a direct wire job. Perhaps the thermo switch went bad and they just wired it to a hot lead off the ignition. If you have any questions on it, you might want a shop or a mechanic on the go come and check the truck out for you. If it costs you a couple hundred to have it inspected, you could save thousands from potential issues down the road you didn't see.

Great looking truck. Good luck with it.

The fan clutch is the newer style that is air/electric with two wire connected to the air control valve by the radiator. I can see where someone spliced a new connector on, but they aren't together. Will check to see if it turns by hand when cold. I'm going to replace the fuse/breaker next time I see it to find out. Hopefully Monday I will find out if I qualified to work there from their headquarters in SC. Should since the application went to headquarters. For the fuel gauge I'm going to steal the one off my current '94 mack and see if that does it. Probably selling the '94.

Edited by Keffer inc

• 2 weeks later...

Going back into my memory banks to when I was a junior wrench turner- the fan clutches will fail in the locked position. You will want to get that fixed because turning that thing is robbing horsepower which leads to more fuel consumption.

Horton fans fail to lock on. Kysor fan systems free wheeled (unlocked) in older units.