Hey Matt P- have a Rmodel round fuel tank question with a curveball

Matt, have a question from a friend down in Australia who is asking a question for his Mate who is restoring an R-Model (right-hand drive mind you!!!)

He wants to switch from the square step-side fuel tanks to the round ones. Would the (USA) Passenger side step/fuel tank be the same as an Aussie (driver) side tank or are they unique??? Where would one find one?? Do you know of any right-hand drive Mack parts sources???

Any help/advice is appreciated!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Our 88 rd688s (in canada) also has symmetrical round tanks....poor old girl might be getting put down, I'll keep you posted. Long way away, but if you can't find anything else.....my wife has an aunt in Australia......

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I would think it would be the same tank also.

Right hand part sources are going to be over there.

Jim

They cant find one. He messaged me asking about a USA passenger side tank- I said "yeah should be able to find one...." But then we started chatting and I said "wait a minute, are we sure a USA passenger side tank is the same as an Aussie driver side tank?" Thats why we're asking. If they are one in the same I will try to find him a USA passenger side tank.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

The R model tanks have an indentation where the bracket over the battery box mounts to the tank in the front. A strap holds the rear of the tank. The tanks have the indentation in both ends so they can be mounted on either side.

• 1 month later...

Same cab height, same front mount, different rear mount and straps, the right side step tank in the US is the same as the right side step tank everywhere else to my knowledge.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"