Low air buzzer install

Anyone have a diagram or instructions on how to replace a buzzer on a 1996 DM? DOT did not approve of its inoperable status.

does the light light up? If so thats all you need. My Buzzer been inop for a couple of years. Light goes on and no problems

It should be under the dash on the left hand side. Mine works occasionally but the light works all the time. I really don't mind being broke, because it beeps with the turn signals when it does work.

Yeah, mine is the same way. Very annoying when you have your hazards on.

• Like 1

I believe it is federal law that it must have a audio and visual warning system.

Go check again. I have to go thru an inspection every 120 days company policy on 10 years old or older. also been Dot'd more times then I care to and 3 level 1's in Pa. Light or buzzer if both great but 1 or the other.

I checked my inspection manual for B.C. and also the NSC and CVSA manuals... these will obviously reflect US equivilents as they are trans border accepted.

Section 3A.. low air pressure warning.

fail test for missing or inoperative lamp or buzzer

fail test if "two systems fail to operate below 55psi

immediate out of service if.. "a" warning system fails to operate under 50psi"

I am an authorised vehicle inspector here in BC and have come across this issue before...

vehicle should not have left the yard if it fails any air test during the pre-trip... buzzer and lamp must operate

if a vehicle is still equipped with single air system and not modified to 121 dual system then whatever the factory fitted day one must work... any update to the air system must work.

a dot inspector does have some room for judgement and that is why rules seem to waver, I don't have that ability, if a vehicle is presented to me for an annual govt sticker and either system isn't working then I fail it and it can't drive away because the first thing I do is scrape the sticker off the window thereby invalidating the current inspection... them's the rules!!!

even on the PM's I will exhaust primary and secondary systems individually to check each low press switch.

yeah!! I'm anal when it comes to this stuff, but we live in the hilly part and the buses carry 120 people...

BC Mack

• 6 years later...
39 minutes ago, Whiskeyisland said:

So is it normal for low air buzzer to beep every time you use turn signal? 1999 Mack rb688s and also for break lights to come on when low air buzzer comes on. They go off once air pressure is up. First time with Mack.

It is common for the break lights to come on with the low air buzzer, but not with the turn signal, sounds like somebody has something cross wired, the turn signal and break light use the same filament in the taillight assembly.   terry:MackLogo:

Okay. Thought the buzzer going off with signal lights was odd. That would drive me crazy if driving with four ways on. Lol. Explains why they had the buzzer unhooked when we bought the truck. So looks like hint is on for a crossed up hook up. Any usual suspects to start at? Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

28 minutes ago, Whiskeyisland said:

Okay. Thought the buzzer going off with signal lights was odd. That would drive me crazy if driving with four ways on. Lol. Explains why they had the buzzer unhooked when we bought the truck. So looks like hint is on for a crossed up hook up. Any usual suspects to start at? Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

Would not know where to start, maybe get a wiring diagram and start tracking.   terry:MackLogo:

• 2 years later...

What is the air pressure when this happens?  If its above 60 PSI,  on an RD the (Pedal Operated) brake light switch is on the center of the firewall under the hood...  Has any work been done to it lately?  any air pressure switches been replaced?  jojo