52 LAFD tow truck ebay

I know where there is an LS21 available for parts if anyone bites on this one.

LA is well known in fire buff circles for their "HU" or Heavy Utility units. Generally they are very heavy duty wreckers that are used for extrications as well as towing of FD units. They have had several very unique rigs ove rthe years including a custom Crown Fire Coach rig equipped with a wrecker body.

My guess is this is a shop built unit made out of one of the LS21 pumpers. Most likely a "one off" and certainly well worth restoring if you have the deep pockets to do it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

LA is well known in fire buff circles for their "HU" or Heavy Utility units. Generally they are very heavy duty wreckers that are used for extrications as well as towing of FD units. They have had several very unique rigs ove rthe years including a custom Crown Fire Coach rig equipped with a wrecker body.

My guess is this is a shop built unit made out of one of the LS21 pumpers. Most likely a "one off" and certainly well worth restoring if you have the deep pockets to do it.

Pretty ambitious project!...........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Pretty ambitious project!...........................................Mark

Not for those who can just write a check. I'm sure Matt Pfahl would love to get his hands on this if someone would pay him to do it.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

The 21LS parts truck you mention,does it happen to have a carburator?

The 21LS parts truck you mention,does it happen to have a carburator?

I don't know for sure, but I think it does. Are you looking for Hall-Scott parts?

He has had the truck on E-Bay as a parts truck, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to part it out himself. Send me a PM and I'll send you his e-mail so you two can work it out.

fxfymn. Pardon the dumb question, but what is a LS21?

I saw that LAFD wrecker on ebay and was going to try and check it out when I went out for a work meeting. Trip got cancelled.

I would love to have that monster Hall-Scott. I guess if I could afford to restore the truck, feeding the 2mpg engine would not be a problem

As Superdog said they are the L series fire chassis, but they are pretty unique. According to Harvey Eckart's book out of the 1453 L series fire trucks that were delivered only 80 were the LS21 series. Most had the Hall-Scott motors, but they also used the Hercules HXE 935ci to power pumps ranging in size from 1250 gpm to 2000 gpm.

Thanks Guys! Soon after I sent the post, my brain re-engaged and I figured the LF was and L model firetruck.

Was the Hercules 935 actually the Hall-Scott engine after Hercules purchased H-S?

Thanks Guys! Soon after I sent the post, my brain re-engaged and I figured the LF was and L model firetruck.

Was the Hercules 935 actually the Hall-Scott engine after Hercules purchased H-S?

The Hercules HXE-935 is a different (valve in block), than the Hall Scott 935 (valve in head) engine.

The Hall Scott engines, The 400 series, model 450 - 5 x 6 - 707 cd

470 - 5.5 x 6 - 855 cd

480 5.75 x 6- 935 cd

400 5.75 x 7-1090 cd

440 " " " low mount fan and water pump, different oil filtering , water proof ignition, military applications.

When Hercules took over Hall Scott they were numbered , 470 = Model 855

480 = Model 935, 6156

400 = Model 1091, 6182, 1091 OS

The truck for sale has a HS 480 engine , and have been told it was built as a wrecker/recovery vehicle, and not a modified apparatus. I know someone that looked at it a few years ago. The truck was in a grass fire.

FW