NYS Overweight permits?

MACKS

So if I understand this correctly,starting in 2015 the DOT will not issue any type two permits unless the truck has four axles,no more 10 wheel dumps,what about our grandfathered permits?

The trucks affected are 2006 and newer all other trucks under 2006 with type 2 permits that are only 3 axles will be fine they aren't going to change anything. A truck that is 2006 or newer with 3 axles that has a type 2 permit will be dropped to a type 1 which is about 10,000 less you will be able to carry of course depending on exact specs of the truck. At least I'm in the clear all my trucks are 2004.

Also did u ever get the Haldex slack adjuster part number I left it on your previous thread?

My parts guy knew witch one to give me but thanks for taking the time to post it and also thanks for the info on the permits,a lot of people think all ten wheelers will be denied permits,that would be a shame since there is so much work for them..

I would think a tri-axle would be better more payload and not much longer, you can run a 15' bed on a triaxle just fine. in TN we run 16' beds on triaxles and gross 74,000, tandems are 68,000 and quads are good for 80,000, on interstates you go by federal bridge formula, of course most guys just go with the secondary road weights and hope to not get a ticket(very few people have gotten an overweight ticket here on the interstate till recently). Of course as I understand it in NY and NJ you have to pay for a perm it for the weight you want to run, here its just built into our liscense plates, an H10 TN tag is good for 74,000 an H11 is 80,000 the 10 is about $1400, the 11 is about 80 bucks more(or was). I was good for 55,500 on my 04 Granite tri-axle and 72,500 on my old Superliner with a 22' dump trailer by the bridge law chart, but most of the time I ran 74,000 on the tri and 80,000 on the trailer.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Our tri-axle is good for 73,000 with out the permit and 76,500 with it but our Superliner and 24ft dump is only good for 71,000 without and 80,000 with :idunno: cant figure out how a tri-axle is good for more than a trailer so its worth to get the permit but half of 95 is unsafe for permits and half the bridges in the state are too

Matt

ok then Im guessing the truck/trailer combo is about 37' from the center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel. I always wondered why they ran those short heavy tandems, with a 20k front and 58k rear your chassis is good for 78,000 but they are so short the bridge would be more like 51,000 (im guessing 20' bridge) so I guess they all run with an overload permit instead of just running by the tag and bridge law.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

If I was in the dirt business I would want a tri axle to carry more but I'm a for hire trucker and run mostly asphalt,no one here pays by the weight only buy the day and even the biggest longest tri axle dumps only carry 22-23 tons,my 10/w is legal for 23 ton and is great on tight jobs like tennis courts and small parking lots,I guess it all depends what type of work your doing but it makes sense to match the equipment to the type of work,but I will be the first to admit I'm getting tired of riding on these 58'000 rears..

Jersey guys that run into NY have to get the overweight permit. The tri axle I drove for Gulino I was allowed 20 ton and his tandem was allowed 19 ton. I know he had to give them a bunch of measurements and capacity of axles, wheelbase, size of tires etc and they told him what the permit would be good for.

Cheers, Rob

If I was in the dirt business I would want a tri axle to carry more but I'm a for hire trucker and run mostly asphalt,no one here pays by the weight only buy the day and even the biggest longest tri axle dumps only carry 22-23 tons,my 10/w is legal for 23 ton and is great on tight jobs like tennis courts and small parking lots,I guess it all depends what type of work your doing but it makes sense to match the equipment to the type of work,but I will be the first to admit I'm getting tired of riding on these 58'000 rears..

I agree with you.

Do how does it work in NY for a tri axle,besides the axle and tire weight ratings,how do you figure it out wheel base wise,I was told max is 79,000 but not sure what wheel base you need to get that..

Do how does it work in NY for a tri axle,besides the axle and tire weight ratings,how do you figure it out wheel base wise,I was told max is 79,000 but not sure what wheel base you need to get that..

You need to call I know that's what my old boss did. They tell you how to figure it and you send in the form with your info and they tell you what you are allowed to carry.

Just sent an e-mail to the dot permit office regarding the changes to type two permits for 2015 just to be safe,I cant find any info where it says the changes only effect trucks that are 2006 or newer..

Just sent an e-mail to the dot permit office regarding the changes to type two permits for 2015 just to be safe,I cant find any info where it says the changes only effect trucks that are 2006 or newer..

Just saw this thread, this is what I got from N.Y.DOT

State of New York

Department of Transportation

Central Permit Office

Types of Divisible Load Overweight Permits

Perm 69 (07/09)

Downstate Permit Types Continued on Reverse Side

Statewide Permit Type 2, 2A

Downstate Permit Types

Applicants must have Downstate Grandfather Rights in order to apply for any of the permit types listed below

All Permit types listed below are only valid for operation within the following Counties Westchester, Rockland, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess Nassau and Suffolk.

Type 2 (F4)

Max. Axle and Grouping Weights in Lbs.

Fee $480.00

Steering axle 22,400

Min. Axles 3; 4 (After 1/01/15 and model year 2006 or newer) ******** YEAR CUT OFF*******

Any other Single axle 29,500

Min. Wheelbase 17 feet

Tandem Group 59,000

Max. Wheelbase 34 feet

Tridem Group 64,000

Max. Gross Vehicle Weight 79,000 Lbs.

Quad 66,000

Max. Trailer Length 40 feet

Type 2A (F4)

Max. Axle and Grouping Weights in Lbs.

Fee $1,000.00

Steering axle 22,400

Min. Axles 5

Any other Single axle 29,500

Min. Wheelbase 17 feet

Tandem Group 59,000

Max. Wheelbase 34 feet

Tridem Group 64,000

Max. Gross Vehicle Weight 79,000Lbs.

Quad 66,000

Max. Wheelbase (Combination vehicle) 44 feet

Max. Trailer Length 40 feet

Page 2 affects us I'm told.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/nypermits/repository/perm69.pdf

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Seems to be okay, only change that affects me is the Farm permit for my I.H. from yearly to 3 months. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have a 79,000 type 2 on my ex posillico truck and 2) 76,000 type 2's on my aluminum body trucks and a new style type 1 for 66,000 on another aluminum body truck. so I loose 5 ton on that truck it's so crazy the truck is identical to the other two 1 digit off on the vins yet cause I applied for it when I got the truck instead of transferring from previous trucks The truck just magically can't carry the weight anymore.

• Like 1