B61 wheel bearings and races better get them now

I pulled the wheels to change the wheel seals as they were upgraded to wet (stemco) and one was leaking. After inspection at some time not that many miles ago the right front bearings and races were replaced, the one on the left looks like they were soaking in rust for awhile.

it was easy to get the bearings outer is Timken 418 and inner 4595 I paid $52 and $63 and got back SKF made in USA next day

The taper cup races are like hens teeth, the only place that could get them at a reasonable cost was from summit racing they are both Timken and are 414A and 4536 they were $21 and $32

most of the other places Napa/Mack/Orielly/heavy truck wanted at least $100 + each was special order with extra freight charges I was also told that the Timken number does not cross over and napa found the race based on measurement of the bearing

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

they have some stuff I was surprised to about the races but I have ordered stuff that the local parts store cant get. If you have to wait on the part I would just a soon order it online and get it at the house on specailty stuff most of the local parts stores charge shipping as they call it is a specail order most online stores have free shipping or its free if you buy $50 most of the stuff I get that way is free shipping or I get a coupon online

Robert

Ya, I'm lucky enough to have the Akron store in my backyard, literally. Maybe a 12 min ride up the road. Have connections in sales, know the store manager, etc so I get pretty good treatment.

Here's my wagon at Super Summit show a couple years ago:
SDC10632.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Had this girl at work tell me recently, that every hog finds an acorn every now and then. Ha Ha........we only have Tennessee Speed Sport. They have been around here since 1968. I doubt they could help me with those bearings. But worth a try.

mike

I needed a bearing for my transfer case and the cheapest I could find was (gulp) $2200.00. After further checking I found it at a much more reasonable price of $200.00, but the rep from Timken told me that I might have to wait quite awhile because even though Timken showed the bearing as avaialble it was a low order item. He explained that they would do a production run at some point, but only when the part was totally out of inventory, and it could be several months or more after that.

It turned out they located the part overseas and had it shipped to me.

So, the bottom line is even though the part may be hard to locate, it is probably still going to be produced.

One other surprising place I have found hard to find parts is Amazon.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I hear ya, I dont like to be bent over for something that is not as common anymore or make you wait 6 months to get it.

About a year ago I was doing some transmisson work on my JD 60 and needed a split bearing that is not made anymore, Napa was able to get me a bearing that was the right size and after about 6 hours of fanagling I was able to put the bearing and the two split shafts together I guess there is always a fix for everything if you have the money and time.

Robert

is that what you take to the races

Yup, that's my grocery getter.

Summit Racing started in a guys garage about 30 yrs ago. I remember the first catalogs back in the early 80's. They've grown, and grown, and grown. They dabble in about anything(recently they started into quad parts and accy's)

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

summit seems to be a pretty good to deal with I have bought stuff that local parts places could not get, would not get or wanted to bend you over for, I bought hub cabs , wheel simulators, hoses, gages etc..

I heard that.......i'm so numb after all of these years I find I still get bended over from time to time. I just wondered if there were any other resources, is why I asked. I always liked a backup plan.

Thanks again

mike

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a SKF transmission rebuild kit for my Spicer 7041 auxilliary trans last year. When I opened it up I think it conained bearings from every manufacturer under the sun. The one I really got a kick out of was stamped Link-Belt. I have found that the best bet for finding bearing, seals, races etc is to run the part number through an interchange and then google the sucker. With a little hunting you can usually find it for peanuts compared to the fleet store. I had to buy a Timken bearing that noone seemed to have other than Napa. They wanted over $200 and found it online at a Timkin dealer for a little over $50! Another good place to look is hydraulic fitting stores. Alot of times they dabble in seals and bearing also. I picked up a large obsolete seal for $6 that would have cost over $40 with a long wait time. It can be frustrating but the same part is usually made by one manufacturer then stamped for 20 different companies. Another example here is my dexter trailer axle. I can order the seals from a boat supply store, original dexter part, for half the price of the national brand seal. Same seal and numbers stamped on it other than the red color.