Spring hanger question

Tony Ingram

Anyone know if a rear spring hanger on an H61 would be the same as a more common B model? I've got a cast aluminum left rear spring hanger that has a stress crack darn near through the whole thing. Was hoping to find a steel one to replace it with and hoped they were the same as a more commonly produced series.

most were all the same, B's R's. F's , U's. some of the heavier R models has thicker springs, and different hangers. most of the 'slipper' springs have two rubber rollers front and rear and the two lower keeper leafs with a pin throught the front. almost all of the BLT models i have seen that same with aluminum rear spring hangers have been replaced with cast iron ones.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I noticed the casting # is the same as a pic of one on a B model except after the casting # on the B model it had a "B" assuming for B model and my H model had an LH at the end. The hanger is visibly different as far as its shape compared to mine but the bolt pattern looks similar. I was surprised that on a suspension hanger they'd use aluminum. If a B model hanger would work I'd like to grab a couple and replace atleast my fractured one. Can't drive it the way it is. Everything on this H61 is original and one day when I tear it down to restore it I'd like it to be all original but there's no repairing this one hanger. I'll try and post a few pics of it tomorrow if I can.

It's got the hydraulic hand pump jack that extends two hydraulic rams. The rams extend and tilt the cab mount arms forward and up. Same style that my 57' H63 has. Gotta replace the water pump and get the spring hanger replaced so my boy and I can start bombing around in her again. My H63 is tore apart and in the process of restoration. It's taking a lot longer than I'd like but at least I've got one truck to drive around and enjoy.

yea, a cast iron B model will replace that one. Mack used the same bolt pattern on the hangers and crossmembers, just some holes werent drilled. id like to find a set of those hangers in aluminum but they are like hens teeth. ive seen the cast hangers worn right out myself let alone the aluminum one. my grandfather B42T i think is on its second or third set of cast hangers on the ditch side and only has 195,000 miles on the clock. lets say they loaded the poor thing for all it was worth back in the day, even has a D8 on a lowboy behind it a few times when she wasnt haulin coal with a Galion trailer..

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

All the other aluminum hangers are in good shape on it, just bummed the one rear hanger is shot. My water pump should be here in a few days and once I get some rear hangers we'll be back on the road. This is my 7 yr old son's truck. He suffers from a rare eye disease that left him blind since birth but he knows all the hand tools and parts of the truck by feel. The smile he gets when we drive it around is priceless. Hoping to get it roadworthy again before April. There's a Natl Street Rod show in town we wanna take it to. A few years ago we took it there and amongst all of the $100,000 cars, it was the talk of the show. Everybody wanted to know about it. It's a great story, a friend of mine stumbled upon it on Craigslist, the owner knew the rear but not what model it was. Good thing for me cause you can't find these H61's pretty much anywhere. He bought it and parked it since 1974 on his ranch with hopes of restoring it but never touched it again. I got her home, cleaned all the mice droppings and nests out of the intake ports and manifold, changed the fluids and within a couple of days she fired right up and was as smooth as a sewing machine. These old trucks never cease to amaze me. My boy and I have had a lot of fun tinkering on these. Getting ready to drop a Big Cam III into my 57' H63 and sending the cab to a guy to finish off all the sheet metal work on the cab. I spent 2 years doing the work myself and found it way too tedious. I enjoy workin on the chassis a lot more than body work. Hoping within a few years the H63 will be done and then we'll tear his H61 down and get started on it. His will go back as close to original as possible since its much more rare than my H63. The H63 will be the family wagon. Took the sleeper bed out and will put in a bench seat to strap in our 3 youngsters so we can all enjoy taking trips in her. Just takes a lot if $ and time, both of which I'm short on. Kids are all in sports and I coach all their teams along with running a non profit organization for my son. We organize a 5k/10k run every year in our hometown to raise $ for research on his eye disease. So in my spare time I get to tinker on the trucks as much as I can.

• Like 2