where is the chassis number located?

Hi guys, The Mack museum said that I needed to give them my chassis number to get the original paper work for my 1978 mack. Is it diff than my vin number and where would I find it? I see there is a number stamped into the cab when I open the drivers door. Do you fax the museum the info? Thanks

The number stamped in the cab is the cab number. VIN is likely 17 digits (numbers and letters)

Per 2stack... The VIN should be on a plate on the driver's door along with the model number. Also check the frame in case the cab was changed.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The number stamped in the cab is the cab number. VIN is likely 17 digits (numbers and letters)

Per 2stack... The VIN should be on a plate on the driver's door along with the model number. Also check the frame in case the cab was changed.

A '78 would have a real VIN #,for example R686ST12345,not the 17 digit BS that we have a book to decode .

A '78 would have a real VIN #,for example R686ST12345,not the 17 digit BS that we have a book to decode .

A '78 won't have a 17 digit. Should be something like R686ST12345.

I was not sure when 17 digit VIN went into effect. Thanks for clearing my mess.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

All vehicles 81 and above are 17 digit . If you want to know what year a vehicle is, count the digits right to left and the 8th will be the model year starting with B-81 C-82 D-83 E-84 F-85 G-86 H-87 J-88 K-89 and so on, the letters I,O,Q,U and Z are omitted so as not to be confused for #'s letters were used thru 2000 which was a Y

In 01 they started using numerals starting with the #1.

I just looked at the title to my wifes 2012 CTS and it was a-C- so they must have started using letters again in 2011

Years ago dealers would sell you a truck manufactured in the previous year but it would be titled as the year it was sold. It was a very common practice, I used to have a B-61 titled as a 1967 and we all know that wasn't correct.