Allison diesel Engine? Photos

I've heard of Allison Diesel engines being in over the road trucks in the 70s and how strong they were and that they were taken out of trucks and replaced by Cummins by Allison under a recall. I've never seen any photos or actually heard of any horse power figures. Has anyone out there know of this or has any photos? Thanks

I'm pretty sure Detroit Diesel and Allison had already done whatever it was that they did to become DDA by the late 60's or very early 70's. Maybe the Allison name was on the GM Turbines??

I haven't heard of Allison engines, but I know they put Allis-Chalmers engines in trucks back then.

Johnstown sounds familiar. Is there an egg farm there?

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of Allison Diesel engines being in over the road trucks in the 70s and how strong they were and that they were taken out of trucks and replaced by Cummins by Allison under a recall. I've never seen any photos or actually heard of any horse power figures. Has anyone out there know of this or has any photos? Thanks

I feel pretty certain that you are referring to the Allis-Chalmers, they were a real talked about engine when they were in production. They were a very distinctive color of Purple and W.O.T had a very good article on them a year or so back.

I personally never had any experience with them but I definitely know they were extremely powerful for that time. I knew a guy who had one in a Freightliner and he loved it . They had no dealer support and were hard to get repair parts for.

• Like 1

Green Dash, there is an egg farm in Croton--about 5 miles away. They were in the news a lot just a few years ago because of manure spills, flies, mistreatment of the birds, etc. A German guy owned it and he was banned from the ag business by the authorities because of the way he ran the place.

I think the "Allison" engines were in fact the turbines that GM fooled around with. Both Ford and GM were into turbines. Ford's first was a show truck that they had at the World's fair in NYC in 1964. Much later they built a turbine called the 707 and they actually had them installed in some Ford W cab overs that were in the company fleet hauling between plants.

I never heard of an Allison piston engine-other than aircraft engines from WW II. I think Allison built a version of the Rolls Royce that was used in the P-51 Mustang.

• 9 years later...
On 2/7/2013 at 11:19 PM, realwolfdaddy said:

I think I may have some pictures 

That looks like a DT466 to me but what do I know. 

Never heard of an Allison Diesel either but my grandpa worked as a supply yard in Japan during Korea and him and his team somehow lost one of those giant Allison engines. Never found out what happened to it and his superior was pissed. Too big to steal so they think it's at the bottom of the ocean. 

• Like 1

Have a look at Wikipedia Detroit Diesel - a full timeline history is listed. Detroit Diesel engine and Allison transmissions were divisions of General Motors. In 1970 GM consolidated these 2 divisions, the new joined division was named the Detroit Diesel - Allison Division. In 1980 DD-AD produced it's first 4 cycle engine. Hence the name Detroit Allison motors.

Early 1980's the diesel engine production was split off as the Detroit Diesel Division and the turbine engine remained in the Allison Division.

Series 60 was the engine that saved Detroit Diesel along with Roger Penske's money and John Deere Corporation. Not too many people know but in the in the mid 1980s John Deere and Detroit Diesel formed a joint venture to co-develop engines for on highway applications and off road machinery. Detroit's 2 cycle was all but dead and Deere was in a bad financial position from horrible farm economies of the late 70s and early 80s. Deere engineers had the knowledge to design and build reliable 4 stroke diesels. The joint venture was named Detroit Deere Corporation (DEDEC). Roger Penske swooped in at the last minute and bought Detroit Diesel and poured mountains of money into the prototype engine called the Tech 80, which would become the Series 60. John Deere's 12.5 liter Powertech engines have often been called Series 60 clones since they were introduced a few years after the 60 Series debuted. Attached are two pictures of corporate literature of the merger company that really never came to fruition. How much engineering and information exchange that took place between Detroit and Deere leading up to Penske buying Detroit and nixing the corporate merger deal is unknown. However, based on how similar the Series 60 and Deere 12.5 liter Powertechs are......a lot?

DDEC 1.jpg

DEDEC 2.jpg

• Like 2