Do you have to have HazMat to haul dirt contaminated with diesel fuel?

jakebrake86

I've got a job bid, but I'm not sure I can do it or not. We dug up an underground fuel tank at a manufacturing plant a year or so ago and the soil samples came back hot, so we dug the contaminated soil out and placed it in a remediation cell on site, as required by the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality. It has come time to dispose of it, but we retested and the samples are still hot, so to the landfill it goes. My question is, do I have to be Haz Mat licensed as a driver and carrier to haul it on my truck, or do I need to hire it out to someone who is? Just wondering if any of you have ever been in the same situation?

Jake

I would check with the local DOT. I know, "Do I really want to talk to them?"

I would assume that if there will be a haz-mat manifest, you will need the permit.

Just how hot?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I hauled it several times for a clean up crew here, they said since it was saturated dirt and not liquid fuel it was ok without permits but I never checked further, I dont think you have to placard fuel unless it is in a tank but I have been wrong before oh and dont forget there are probably a dozen epa regulations for hauling it, we just never followed em\ in the 90's and early 2000's.

this came from the NY website it was the only one I could find fast.......

Cargo fuel tanks shall not exceed 150 gallon capacity per vehicle. Vehicle transporting fuel in cargo tanks of 115 gallons or more shall display either a hazardous materials placard indicating identification number NA 1993 for diesel fuel or a placard indicating 'Fuel Oil'. When empty, the placard shall not be displayed. Employees operating a placarded vehicle shall have a CDL License with a Hazardous Materials Endorsement.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Noticed your in East Ar, Glad to have another Mid Southerner from round The same area im from . :) Not sure bout Ar law on contaminated dirt but when my family was in business we had a contract hauling contaminated dirt & the drivers had to have a Haz Mat endorsement here across the big muddy in Tn according to the DOT HERE @ the time .

like hatcity said id check the local DOT Law in Ar.

hope this helps

:mack1: aka bulldog man on BMT .

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Ten four. Y'all are thinking along the same lines I am. The only thing I'm worried about is I'm taking it out of Arkansas and into Mississippi, as our landfill won't take it. Got one set of scales to cross but I've always had good luck with them.. If y'all read about me on the news I guess we'll know if it's ok or not! Lol

Jake

Noticed your in East Ar, Glad to have another Mid Southerner from round The same area im from . :) Not sure bout Ar law on contaminated dirt but when my family was in business we had a contract hauling contaminated dirt & the drivers had to have a Haz Mat endorsement here across the big muddy in Tn according to the DOT HERE @ the time .

like hatcity said id check the local DOT Law in Ar.

hope this helps

:mack1: aka bulldog man on BMT .

Yes sir, I'm from Helena but I work in Memphis quite a bit. Are y'all still in the dirt business up there? Ok, I'm going to have to check on that.. Were y'all crossing into AR with the contaminated dirt?

Jake

Hmm now your operating in interstate commerce with hazardous materials that makes it more interesting, better you than me.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Hmm now your operating in interstate commerce with hazardous materials that makes it more interesting, better you than me.

On an intrastate tag and a 72 hour permit. And in a triaxle that weighs 30,500# empty into a state that doesn't recognize a third axle. If we keep on like this I may talk myself out of taking this job. Sitting at the house for a month is good motivation though!

Jake

Yes sir, I'm from Helena but I work in Memphis quite a bit. Are y'all still in the dirt business up there? Ok, I'm going to have to check on that.. Were y'all crossing into AR with the contaminated dirt?

Got a buddy of mine who is like a brother to me lives in W. Helena his step dad works for the landfill over there in Phillips county . No when my grandpa aka"pop" passed in 2005 I haad to sell everything due no will & probate court ordered it sold . the day everything went into probate I had 75 loads of dirt sold to a buddy of mine w/ 3 tri axle Dumps all I had to do was load his trucks .

I was told by the probate judge if I cranked the track hoe I was gonna be put in 201 for Contempt of court . (those away from Memphis that's the Shelby co jail in downtown Memphis . they say that address everyone in mid south knows where they are talking bout )

had to let another buddy of mine sell my buddy w/ the trucks the dirt . it wasn't long after that I went to work for my buddy who sold us our tires & driving for him & our old foreman operating for him when he needs me . I stay in the 1 Ton w/ tire trailer more tho . . The dirt just didn't get on my family's hands it got in our blood . id like to get back into the excavating business again one day Lord knows I miss it everyday .

We hauled the contaminated dirt to BFI Here in Millington .

& ya Ms doesn't recognize a 3rd axle 15 ton limit on a dump truck if I remember right . (but don't quote me on that)

:mack1:

Got a buddy of mine who is like a brother to me lives in W. Helena his step dad works for the landfill over there in Phillips county . No when my grandpa aka"pop" passed in 2005 I haad to sell everything due no will & probate court ordered it sold . the day everything went into probate I had 75 loads of dirt sold to a buddy of mine w/ 3 tri axle Dumps all I had to do was load his trucks .

I was told by the probate judge if I cranked the track hoe I was gonna be put in 201 for Contempt of court . (those away from Memphis that's the Shelby co jail in downtown Memphis . they say that address everyone in mid south knows where they are talking bout )

had to let another buddy of mine sell my buddy w/ the trucks the dirt . it wasn't long after that I went to work for my buddy who sold us our tires & driving for him & our old foreman operating for him when he needs me . I stay in the 1 Ton w/ tire trailer more tho . . The dirt just didn't get on my family's hands it got in our blood . id like to get back into the excavating business again one day Lord knows I miss it everyday .

We hauled the contaminated dirt to BFI Here in Millington .

Man, I'm sorry. I know exactly what you mean. I worked at the landfill in WH running a trackhoe for about six months a few years ago. I know Tommy, Ricky, and Bob that work there. You talking about one of them? Yep, 201 Poplar.. never been there.. hope I never do! Lol

Jake

Man, I'm sorry. I know exactly what you mean. I worked at the landfill in WH running a trackhoe for about six months a few years ago. I know Tommy, Ricky, and Bob that work there. You talking about one of them? Yep, 201 Poplar.. never been there.. hope I never do! Lol

Yup im talking bout Tommy . :twothumbsup: & never been inside 201 EXCEPT To bail folks out fer public drunk . & that's it . hope that's it & I hated going in there then .

Well I never had a cop want to smell the dirt. Only wanted to Weigh me. Unless the dirt is glowing green or catches fire on its own you will be fine. Just be sure where ever it is going that they do infact take contaminated clay. Around here all the dumps sniff test the dirt and reject it. Anywhere that take contaminated dirt charge $$$$$ and or you need a manifest that says where and too it's going/coming from. Best place to move slightly contaminated clay is to a dump site out in the middle of nowhere and let nature run her course on it.

• Like 1

Even though the soil samples came back hot, I personally really can't smell it, but I'm working on getting my underground tank removal/installation license, so I don't want to get black balled by the ADEQ.. our local landfill won't accept contaminated clay, but there's a landfill in Tunica, MS which is about 45 minutes away that will. I'm going to get ahold of them in the AM and see what they have to say.. Getting rid of this 30 loads of dirt ain't gonna be cheap, though. Lol

Jake

Lizza Asphalt here used to blend in contaminated dirt with the asphalt load.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE