I saw this nice R-400 at a show yesterday. I had heard that they made these with Chrysler gas power, but had never seen one until this one. I didn't see the owner to talk to so I thought I'd ask about it here. Does anyone know how many were made with the Chrysler engine? What transmissions were avalable? This one appeared to be a 2 stick, but I couldn't see into the cab to see exactly what it was. Very cool looking little Mack.

DSC00612.jpg

DSC00655.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

• Like 2

Those were popular with municipalities,late 1960's -'70's.The 413 pretty much replaced the venerable 402 flathead.Those had TR-77 series behind them a lot and quite frequently the old 6 speed Allison MT,and probably Spicer 5 speeds.The R-400 came with a lot of different engine options,one's I've seen come through the shop are,the 465 Mack diesel,the Scania 475 in turbo and natural,Cummins V-555,3208 Cat

Edited by RC51

Exact numbers,I don't know,but here in the northeast they were popular with cities and townships and some private local operators.The 400 series in all it's forms[R,U,DM,MB]were Macks "price" truck to help compete with I.H.,Ford and GMC thier weight class.Quite common to see an R/DM 400 with a 29K single rear,and double[X] frame rails,to find one as nice as the example shown is a rare one.Most town trucks around here spread salt in winter and the frames are rusted and swelled.Mack seems to have let that lower end municipal market go when the Mid-Liner came in,only to sell a gazillion Mid-Liners to leasing fleets.

Those were popular with municipalities,late 1960's -'70's.The 413 pretty much replaced the venerable 402 flathead.Those had TR-77 series behind them a lot and quite frequently the old 6 speed Allison MT,and probably Spicer 5 speeds.The R-400 came with a lot of different engine options,one's I've seen come through the shop are,the 465 Mack diesel,the Scania 475 in turbo and natural,Cummins V-555,3208 Cat

I saw some cement mixers in the mid 60s with the 475 scanis the first engine that i ever saw with the centifuge oil filter and that little baby mack engine 465 i guess it always whanted to be a real engine when it growed up and some of the mixers had a 3208 with allison and a 3 speed spicer behind that .I dont remember if the 465 or 475 were turboed or not. that is the last ones i have seen. glenn

glenn akers

I,m speachless ...THATis a Picture of beauty :) had no idea Mack built such creatures ...would jus love to hear it run , would be similar i guess to performance an sound as my (was ) International ACCO ( only Aust built cab over ) that was powered by a 392 IHI petrol ( gas to u guys over there )Great sound with twin 5ins stacks on straight thru mufflers . Swapped it out for a International 6cyl diesel which i added a turbo to give it a little more grunt ,would be interested to find out what some thing like a C model or similar would cost over there as i would jus Love to have one to add to fleet :)