Hello everyone, i wanted to show my R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got my new trailer on the other day, now i just have to figure out how i am going to a ladder on the front. I changed my logo by adding more drop shadow and pinstriping and moving the city down lower and unbolding it. :) What do you think?

post-11750-0-82795800-1364564220_thumb.j

post-11750-0-13350400-1364564656_thumb.p

• Like 1

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Looks good! I'll watch for you on Rt. 31(Algonquin),north of Virginia Rd.,I'll be running around in circles with my 40 ton Deere (east side of the road-Meyer Mat'l) :twothumbsup:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Is that a new new trailer? 24'? I! see the dogs on those mirrors are still staring off into space,LOL! I gotta get that jab in sorry.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Yeah its a newer trailer but its only 200 pounds lighter and it doesnt seem as practical for my job. The other trailer in the first pics of this topic is a 1980 and it was rebuilt from the ground up 10 years ago. I might hook up to that one again :)

Yeah its a newer trailer but its only 200 pounds lighter and it doesnt seem as practical for my job. The other trailer in the first pics of this topic is a 1980 and it was rebuilt from the ground up 10 years ago. I might hook up to that one again :)[/quote

If that trailer needs a home, pull it up to Marengo. It would look great behind my RD and prolly be 5000 pounds lighter than the Mongoose I usually pull. -Brad

I was thinking the same thing about steel trailers, there is local work right next to me where they are expanding rt 59 in naperville and route 30 in montgomery, only a mile from me, the work will be there all year, yet i wont get any of it because i am not minority or whatever bs that is, plus i dont have a steel trailer, im kinda lost on what trailer is better to have, i heard that if you get steel trailers, you never really get teh hourly work you are looking for all the time and have a heavy ass empty weight. Where would i even go? Viking or truck king? Its all confusing me which is why i use a broker. If i do keep the aluminum traillers i think i will keep the new one i just hooked up to because it will have a higher resale value than other trailers out there. Hmmmm. Sorry about the rant, i guess i just felt like getting that out of there

A broker? for local work? wow that would never work around here you just pick up a phone and start calling till you get a hit then do it again as needed before long theyll call you when they need help. I would say swap one of the aluminums for a steel trailer you could probably swap even if you go to another area mst places dont have any work for a steel dump trailer due to weight. here in TN a tri axle dump with a 16' body is good for 74,000 and a trailer is only good for 80,000 so nobody does it unless you need to run the interstate and haul for payload then you go with a light tractor and a light aluminum trailer, otherwise you go with a triaxle with a steel body, preferrably a tub body made from AR450 so you can haul whatever. I think my light weight with the daycab Superliner and the 22' Heil was 28,200, and my 04 Granite triaxle with a 16' tub body was 26,400 and could go wherever and haul whatever so theres a lot more work for them here.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

My empty is 27900 with about 5 gallons in the tank, I also have an 1/8 inch steel floor in it too, i still have steel wheels on the tractor and trailer. My thought is whether my truck is a good choice because i see people with older kenworths with c15s and beat up volvos getting 6mpg doing the same thing i am doing. I was going to create a post about this but what is the average number when relating to fuel as an expense vs what you gross at the end of the year? for instance in the aggregate industry hauling stone and dirt you could either make 100k and spend 20k to 30k in fuel. So its either 20 or 30 percent an expense? what is an accurate amount i should expect? Would i get better economy with a different truck (01 mack 460?) or cat c15? Not just those two trucks, tell me based on research what you know. what is the best setup to have? Thanks

My truck saw 5.5 mpg loaded and maybe 5.7- 6 empty. All depends how you drive it. I had the fuel bumped up and smoke shows when I wanted...we ran hard some days when paid by the load, or kept it smooth when paid by the hr. If I recall we did 150-200 miles most days putting in 30-35 gallons every night. Some days we saw 300 miles but that was mostly city to the burbs and back. 3 loads a day maybe 4 if you got lucky.

Unless you haul out of the pit most of the time a steel trailer is best. Yea you will weigh more but working by the hr or by the load does not matter. With steel you haul everthing you want...My experience is you tell the loader how many buckets to put in and as long as your trailer is full you go to the dump and that's that. Better safe than overloaded.

My empty is 27900 with about 5 gallons in the tank, I also have an 1/8 inch steel floor in it too, i still have steel wheels on the tractor and trailer. My thought is whether my truck is a good choice because i see people with older kenworths with c15s and beat up volvos getting 6mpg doing the same thing i am doing. I was going to create a post about this but what is the average number when relating to fuel as an expense vs what you gross at the end of the year? for instance in the aggregate industry hauling stone and dirt you could either make 100k and spend 20k to 30k in fuel. So its either 20 or 30 percent an expense? what is an accurate amount i should expect? Would i get better economy with a different truck (01 mack 460?) or cat c15? Not just those two trucks, tell me based on research what you know. what is the best setup to have? Thanks

Knowing where your truck came from, it is the best speced truck for what you are doing. What you have isn't broken, so don't fix it. You have a decent lite weight considering the steel wheels and steel floor. A friend of mine has a steel Hilbilt Mongoose sitting in my yard that he wants to sell. It is a lighter weight model with a electric flip tarp and decent tires. He wants to sell it. When I pull it I am around 29500 full of fuel. -Brad

Your tractor and trailer weigh 27,900 empty!? My tandem weighs 27,400 and my tri axle weighs 28,580.

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

"Old Macks never die, just get new generations of drivers"

Wow I'm very impressed, I thought they were much heavier than that

Edited by VPZINC

87 RD 686SX

07 CL-733

06 Granite CV-713

"Old Macks never die, just get new generations of drivers"

Take your foot of that pedal if your not getting at least 6-6.5, I don't think I've ever had an older mack that got under 6 MPG even heavy haul. A C15 would be a huge step backward in reliability you have the right truck for what you do now don't trade. Seems you just need to fine tune what you have and you'll be set, possibly get a heavy spec trailer for shot rock/ dirt.

My dad was telling me the other day that about 20 years ago BEFORE he had a peterbilt, he drove a 69 R model, bought from Cali because it had aluminum everything. With the trailer i STILL pull, he would be at 23500 and haul nearly 25 TONS! It had a 237 in it bought he took it out and had a 300 with a 13spd in it and said it was the best truck he ever had. Damn i wish i could have seen that!

• 3 weeks later...