Importing from Canada

Superdog

http://www.marketbook.ca/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=3792313&LP=TRK

Anybody ever buy a truck in Canada to bring into US?I found this Superliner,looks clean,price sure is more than right for the year,only thing I'd have to do is pull the extra axle and swap out the goofy canadain spread rears,and it would be just about perfect.

Mike

My only thought is to contact George Tackaberry in Athens Ont, addy should be listed in an ATHS roster, as he has bought trucks from the states and probably sold some back into the states. He regelarly brings truck to stateside shows so he must know most of the regulations and/or who to contact for the "official" version.

Brocky

Brocky

I bought a GMC and the dealer had their agent process the customs paper work on BOTH sides of the border. I would contact your DMV and see what they require to license it too. In N.Y it required a few extra forms to prove it conformed to U.S. requirements for date of manufacture. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

http://www.marketboo...=3792313&LP=TRK

Anybody ever buy a truck in Canada to bring into US?I found this Superliner,looks clean,price sure is more than right for the year,only thing I'd have to do is pull the extra axle and swap out the goofy canadain spread rears,and it would be just about perfect.

Hi Superdog

I've done imports the other way.... north.

Seems both sides have issues with ownership, eligibility and standards... plus there are Fed and State on your side, Fed and Provincial our side, and they can confuse you and themselves. New and used differ on rules, open recall notices, add in emissions and EPA and it gets complicated for a normal Joe to figure if you see what I mean.

FMVSS and CMVSS differ slightly even on the same numbered regulation. A Canadian built truck MAY not meet US build regs, and, as you have noted axle spread/weights MAY need the manufacturer to provide you with a new decal for the door jam after you replace them.

Here, my MVB has on their website the full details on how to import from the US and a list of ineligable vehicles (biggy on RV's and homemade bus conversions) so I would suggest that you start at the end of the daisy chain, your local MVB and work back to Fed.

My recommendation is to buy the services of an import broker who knows the ins-outs of the process, it could be relatively straightforward but my experiance has been that the border nazis love broker letterhead against your personal import docs. Doing this may save you having a truck ending up in no-man's land... if you export from Canada, drive 200 yards and it gets refused entry into the US it cannot go back to Canada as the title is marked as "cancelled/export"..!!

Customs wants their chunk of taxes too..

I'm sure many others have done it, but from my experiance the rules 5 years ago were swiss cheese compared to today. However, these brokers charge hard earned cash, you can save that fee by doing it yourself, it's a risk benefit judgement.

Just leave a few Macks in Canada so us poor Canucks have a few to play with..!!!!

BC Mack