New TV remote...

RowdyRebel

...so the old "universal" remote that I've been using for a while has finally quit working. Well, not COMPLETELY...just a few of the most commonly used buttons. So, I've been having to keep multiple remotes (the original ones that came with the devices) on hand to pick up the slack where the universal remote fails to work. Anyway, I wasn't thrilled with having to replace the remote because it took a while to figure it out and get it programmed....although it was easier since the TV and the Dish receiver are the only non-Sony appliances, so a Sony remote only has to be programmed for those 2 devices. Still, I had to "learn" the universal remote in order for it to work like I wanted it....but I got it figured out so many years ago.

Anyway, I was at the Walmart yesterday and I found a remote...made by Logitech...that plugs into your computer. You go online and look up all of the devices you want the remote to control, and it programs the thing for you...so the remote shouldn't have any unused buttons and all of the features on the OEM remote should be available on this one....so I decided to give it a try.

I'm waiting for the program to download....we'll see how it goes.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Well so far, my opinion of the thing is that it is absolute JUNK! 2 friggin hours later and the thing STILL isn't set up. It kept booting me out of the setup program saying there was a problem connecting to the server...and now, it is having trouble sending the programming info over to the remote. MUCH more of a PITA than it is worth...everything I have is Sony, except the Dish receiver and the TV...and the TV will be Sony, too, if I ever stop being such a penny-pincher and buy one. Sony remotes work out of the box with other Sony products, so I'd just have to program in the dish receiver.

What took me so long on the last universal remote was programming it to turn on the TV & switch that to the video input, turn on the amp, and turn on the dish all with the press of one button...had to get the timing down so that things would all turn on correctly....get the sequence of button pushes correct.

This one is all computer connection related....and that's where I have problems. Everything is plugged in and it SHOULD be working...but it ain't.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Well so far, my opinion of the thing is that it is absolute JUNK! 2 friggin hours later and the thing STILL isn't set up. It kept booting me out of the setup program saying there was a problem connecting to the server...and now, it is having trouble sending the programming info over to the remote. MUCH more of a PITA than it is worth...everything I have is Sony, except the Dish receiver and the TV...and the TV will be Sony, too, if I ever stop being such a penny-pincher and buy one. Sony remotes work out of the box with other Sony products, so I'd just have to program in the dish receiver.

What took me so long on the last universal remote was programming it to turn on the TV & switch that to the video input, turn on the amp, and turn on the dish all with the press of one button...had to get the timing down so that things would all turn on correctly....get the sequence of button pushes correct.

This one is all computer connection related....and that's where I have problems. Everything is plugged in and it SHOULD be working...but it ain't.

why not use your dish remote and program your tv to run with it? i leave my dish on all the time. is there a reason not to leave the dish on 24/7?then i just turn the tv on with the dish remote. aj

If I don't turn the dish off overnight, it needs to download the program guide info....and you can't watch TV while it does that.

...and my dish remote won't control everything....TV, amp, dish, DVD, VCR...and these universal remotes are getting pretty good at being able to turn everything on and change the input settings (i.e. tv/video on the TV) with the push of 1 button. My TV doesn't have sound (which is why I got it free), so I have to use the stereo for that...

Anyway, I FINALLY got it working..I think. Had to get the original remote from the stereo to try to "learn" the new remote....but it didn't work anymore, and new batteries didn't help. So, I used the universal remote I've been using and it learned the new remote just fine....took a while, and I'm still not sure it was worth the hassle...but it seems to be working.

I ditched my DN a year ago, but still have FOUR remotes for TV, digital convertor box, surround sound, and VCR. Like to get one of those MONSTER sized ones just so it's easier to find and won't get lost in the couch cushions LOL!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"