TRD-72 ratios?

burnin oil

Thats where I had the problems with the wiki. The duplex section comes up with 2 sets of ratios and four transmissions listed. From what I have read the back box is OD and the main is direct for the 9spd. The tag on the visor says 9spd OD but the number on the trans is TRD-72. From my searching on here I got 5 hi as 1:1, .78:1, and .69:1. No idea what is really correct.

Thats where I had the problems with the wiki. The duplex section comes up with 2 sets of ratios and four transmissions listed. From what I have read the back box is OD and the main is direct for the 9spd. The tag on the visor says 9spd OD but the number on the trans is TRD-72. From my searching on here I got 5 hi as 1:1, .78:1, and .69:1. No idea what is really correct.

the trans. might have been changed at sometime.

Is there any way to ID them positively besides driving or dropping the trans from the truck? I think the main is direct with an OD aux section instead of a direct/under setup. Maybe a number on the rear section or different bolt/casting arrangement? I am by far not an expert on these things but do have an understanding on how it works.

When in doubt, get a rag, get under the truck, and read what is stamped on the driver side of the trans case. :)

When in doubt, get a rag, get under the truck, and read what is stamped on the driver side of the trans case. :)

Am I nuking this in thought. If there are several versions of the Duplex transmission wouldnt the front box be stamped as what the high gear was regaurdless of what aux section is bolted to the rear? That way the main would always denote direct or OD no matter if the rear is under drive or over drive splitter?

Correct me if I am wrong but are the L model boxes under driven rear section with the standard transmissions being OD rear box? This would give a TRD-720 2 OD gears correct?

the box would most likely be correct, not really a way of knowin unless u drive it. someone could have changed the tag in the cab or busted the front case and used another one or totally changed the cab. we used a case for my B613 from a quadbox and put duplex gears in it. regardless of a 10 speed direct or 9 speed overgear the front gears i believe are the same. the are only different in a double over quad or triplex where 4th and 5th are different. if you drive it and you cant split 5th gear with the high or low or 5th low your going the same speed as 4th high, then its a 9 speed overgear TRD720. if you can split 5th gear with the high and low lever then its a 10 speed direct. they also made a 10 speed overgear just to confuse you. the old guys call these ''mudsticks'' and were generally in 10 wheel dumptrucks. the newer 10 speed directs (around the mid to late 60's) the number was changed and it went to TRD722 and i believe had different ratios. also i believe it would be low or under and high which would be direct.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

burninoil:I have a brochure on a 1952 LJT-G with 3 trans listed.TR 720 standard 0.78 in 5th,2 optionals-TRD720,10 forward 2 reverse,10th-0.78-9th 1.04,8th-1.00 7th-1.33,etc to basement.TRDX 720 10th-0.78,9th- 1.85,8th-1.00,7th-2.38 etc to basement.In 1952 a LJSW D the duplex was a TR150 with 10th-0.77,9th-1.07,8th-1.00,7th-1.38,etc.Hope this sheds somelite on your trans question.

Thanks guys. I have no real plans to drive it. The truck is going to be parted out and I am debating if it is worth my while to pull the trans and install it in my L model. If I put the duplex infront of my L's factory auxiliary trans I will have a really good road speed with the donor 4.65 rear end. If the trans is a direct top gear I think that I would be shooting myself in the foot.

Hey Burnin oil if you are going to take the transmission out of the truck it is then easy to check to see if it is direct or overdrive mark the input shaft on very top and do the same to output shaft put it in high gear have someone turn input and watch output if they make a full revolution at the same time it is direct if the output makes a full revolution before the input it is an overdrive