Double sleeper run

Vladislav

• 4 years later...

Vlad the Thermodyne motors can be driven like a Maxidyne just fine I have had problems with the splitter on the 12 speed once grossing 90 ton drove 3000 km  with just the 5 gears and up some big long climbs they the Thermodynes that is will lug right down to 1100 and I just kept a eye on pyrometer and the Thermodyne would hang on at 12 revs for hours at a time with out it getting to hot on the pyrometer so I just let it lug 

So I guess what Im saying if my old bucket of bolts can hang on for hours at a time grossing 90 ton I reckon bobtail or even just a normal single trailer it would be fine with a five speed 

Before I went changing anything I would drop the nine speed apart and see whats crook in side they are fairly simple transmissions to work on and theres not a lot to go wrong 

Roland great video mate I find I get much better air flow in the cab with only one window open as I think both windows the air pressure seems to equal out and I end up with bugger all air flow 

Paul

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Vlad the Thermodyne motors can be driven like a Maxidyne just fine I have had problems with the splitter on the 12 speed once grossing 90 ton drove 3000 km  with just the 5 gears and up some big long climbs they the Thermodynes that is will lug right down to 1100 and I just kept a eye on pyrometer and the Thermodyne would hang on at 12 revs for hours at a time with out it getting to hot on the pyrometer so I just let it lug 

So I guess what Im saying if my old bucket of bolts can hang on for hours at a time grossing 90 ton I reckon bobtail or even just a normal single trailer it would be fine with a five speed 

Before I went changing anything I would drop the nine speed apart and see whats crook in side they are fairly simple transmissions to work on and theres not a lot to go wrong 

Roland great video mate I find I get much better air flow in the cab with only one window open as I think both windows the air pressure seems to equal out and I end up with bugger all air flow 

Paul

G'day Paul,

Yes I agree that one window down seems to work better. I tried two partially down on the way back and felt hotter, even though the sun was pretty much behind and to the left.

Yeah, the RR probably only needs bearings and shifter work, but I like the taller overdrive of the Mack box compared to what the RR can offer. It'd be nice to get 100kmh...

Roland

• Like 1

On 04.01.2017 at 0:10 PM, Retro Racer said:

Mine has a worn out 9 speed overdrive Road Ranger. I have been experimenting and I now only use five gears when taking off from traffic lights with the Maxidyne. 2nd, 4th then split to high for 6th gear, then 8th, then 9th. I have to drive it like a 5 speed Maxitorque and wait for the revs to drop on each gear change. Otherwise I can drive it like a hot rod using all 8 (not low). It's impressive if I get it right. Embarrassing when I don't hahaha. I think I want to change it back to a 6 speed over drive twin stick Maxitorque TRDXL 10780 as the overdrive will be .62 with 6.34 diffs...

Here's us on our wedding day. I didn't know my lady was filming at first. I thought she was just talking to me Hahahaha...

G'day Roland,

My T2090 has 5 low range gears and 5 high ones. With 5th low (5th) and 1st high (6th) of the similar ratio. So Mack just doesn't count one of them calling the tranny 9 speed. When bobtailing I start on a flat ground I just use the lowest gear of the High range (Mack calls it 5th). Than switch further every step having them 5 at all. Looking the transmission chat that gear I use for a start has 2.79 ratio. It's fast a lil bit and I go low range when uphill or crowling in tight spots. If we look for Mack 5 speed T2050 tranny (and also 6,7,8 speed T2060,T2070, T2080 not considering their crowl gears) the 2nd speed is 3.05. So having one of those units I might drive it as a four speed box. Having the lower 1st gear (5.24) for narrow starts. 

The current box I have I can't drive as a hot rod no matter I really want it or not. The shift clutches seem so worn so you sometimes spend 5-10 seconds putting a next gear in. You loose the throttle, get a gear off, wait for a moment than start to put it in. It grinds so you wait a lil bit more. And if you didn't get it in it grinds again having engine revs now low. So you hit gas and try again. If not (again!) you can try to level the shaft speeds playing with gas and keeping your feel on the shift lever for a chance. As the previous owner said to me when showed that process, if you can't put it in better stop on a shoulder and start from the 1st.

Just too many drivers went through the truck and the most trucks they drove before and after had synchro gearboxes.  

Interesting to see the movie you driving. Difficult to get a hard feeling but it seems my ride is much softer. At least when you go on pavement the cab doesn't do catches. I sure have way longer wheelbase.

Have a good time,

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 04.01.2017 at 0:50 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Paul

Paul mate,

My 6 cylinder animal is called Econodyne!! And it can't boast of its total health. During multiple overhauls and modifications it lost some minor parts like for example a puff limiter. The turbo is of an unknown source either. Injectors should go on a bench and I suppose with the pump as a company. Describing its function I can state it smokes like a burning hell when you have your revs low. 

I hope I will go with just 5 speeds or maybe only 4 as I said in the post above. Not sure I will almost go off with T2090 9 speed. But currently I have neither good ones and the overdrive of 0.71 I would prefere faster. Can swap the rears though. The current 9 speed tranny would probably need a set of high range gear wheels and a set of sliding clutches to mate them. I doubt they are cheap new ones and doubt on easiness finding such parts used. I might trace a used box with some other issue locally to boil a can of soup of all the old iron. Let's see. 

It just looks attractive to me though to put another tranny in the truck to keep it running while tinkering with parts.

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012