Possible buy - B422X

I posted this truck a while ago. I actually emailed the guy about a 78 C30 wrecker he was selling that turned out to be a wreck without the "er". But I asked if they had anything else for sale and they sent me a 1978 Flatbed Ford and a B422X of unknown year. Well I just came across the email they sent me. I am heading to Maine for the week of relaxation. On my way up or on my way back I might stop in CT to see this thing in person. The price is right if it runs like they say it does.

To refresh memories, this is the truck:

post-11944-0-50619800-1349670900_thumb.j

post-11944-0-46557600-1349670871_thumb.j

post-11944-0-17841300-1349670935_thumb.j

Here is the Ford they had too:

post-11944-0-54611300-1349670986_thumb.j

I have a question about trying to haul that Mack back home. We have a 99 IH 4700 with a 24' flatbed on the back I took in on trade at my shop. If I can get access to a loading ramp/dock and put the B42 on the back, do you think it can handle it and would this be safe to haul on the back of this truck? I would have to get chains and binders to properly hold it but its cheaper then paying someone to haul it for me. Here is the truck in question:

99IH4700_dside2.jpg

Thank you in advance for any advice you guys can give.

That Mack probably weighs about 12,000 lbs (???) so that intl would be about at its limit. check the data tag and tire ratings for allowable weights, then total your weights up. You might have to load it facing backwards to keep the weight down on the steering axle??

As an old outlaw I would load it up. dodge the scales, give myself extra stopping space, and bring her home.

Brocky

Brocky

The gvwr is 25900 on the IH so we would be at right at limits. I was going to be running in a dealer plate on the truck with a not for hire sign on the door just to blow past scales. That would be true too. I am running the truck for myself.

I don't think there are many scales if any on I84 to 684 in NY then 287 in NJ. I'll know in a couple hours because I am going up the same route to Maine in less then an hour. The brakes in the IH are less then a year old. I was thinking about loading backwards anyway because I think it would be easier to unload off the ramp next to my shop since I would have to cut it sharp right after it gets to the bottom anyway.

First thing first is lets see if this B42 is a turd or a diamond in the rough. If its good, I'll make an offer then I'll work on the logistics.

the flatbed looks a little flimsy,,but im pretty sure the axle weights would be fine,,,i would also go for it,,,atleast load it up,,and see how bad everything flexes.maybe take it down the road a ways,,,check brake stopping distance and handling,,see if she starts swaying and all that.go from there,,,as you said shipping is a fortune,give it a shot,,i do remember that one,,,especielly that odd model no.. good luck.bob

I believe the motor is an EN401 with a duplex trans. This used to be a dump truck. The dump body is gone but the lift cyl is still in place. I plan on removing the cyl and installing a 5th wheel. I would love to down the road extend the frame and put a rollback on it for a cool car hauler. Most likey just leave it as a 5th wheel truck. A rollback project is a little to ambitious for my procrastination.

B422 would have a 438 overhead valve gas engine, they were a baby to the 540 and a 464 and were a really good engine. the flathead 401 in a standard B42 on the other hand is a piece of junk. if the body is good and it runs and has the overhead valve engine is a good fine. the weight of that truck would be around 9000 - 10,000. a single axle B61 weighs in a little more but the B42 or B422 is light so you should have no problems loadin it on that truck even with the dumpbox frame.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Thanks maddog for that info. Ill find out once I get to see it in person. I am hoping to check it out on our way back from Maine on Sat. Still enroute to our hotel at 9:45pm. Were about 30 miles from the New Hampshire boarder in Massachuetts. The wife is driving so I am messing around on the iPhone in the passenger seat posting in the site.

I don't think there are many scales if any on I84 to 684 in NY then 287 in NJ. I'll know in a couple hours because I am going up the same route to Maine in less then an hour. The brakes in the IH are less then a year old. I was thinking about loading backwards anyway because I think it would be easier to unload off the ramp next to my shop since I would have to cut it sharp right after it gets to the bottom anyway.

First thing first is lets see if this B42 is a turd or a diamond in the rough. If its good, I'll make an offer then I'll work on the logistics.

684 scales after exit 8 in rest area. I84 scale at exit 2 in CT.