Superliner Frame Rust

shanes

Hi

I'm looking at buying an old Superliner, but it has a bit of frame rust.

I didn't think it looked too bad, and intend to pretty much completely strip it down and sand blast it.

Should I split the inner and outer rails ?

What do you guys reckon ? Too much work ?

Thanks for any advice :)

post-7716-0-30785000-1348227909_thumb.jppost-7716-0-63239700-1348227939_thumb.jp

Slathering POR 15 between the rails will just make it harder to do right.

The only way to fix it right is the hard way- separate them--

Thanks, I had found your thread, that's one of the reasons I started this one, I just wasn't sure if I had a big problem and needed to yet.

The strange thing about the rust, is the frame has quite bad surface rust, but the cab is pretty good...

BTW you couldn't give me a rough idea of the weight of a rail ? My restoration is going to be a bit "back yard" as well.

cheers

You can clear up a lot of the rust between the rails by using an air hammer. You'll be surprised how much rust will come out between the rails. Get some good ear and eye protection and have at it.

Someone has told me that is how the Mack dealer over here deals with this too in some cases.

I am on my second RW double frame and both had surface rust however I never have spread the rails to get it taken care of inside. I plan to paint the one I have now in the next couple years and will probably take the frame apart and do it right at that point but a big part of keeping the double rust at bay is to just keep it dry, park it under cover or use a tarp over it and you can slow it way down.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Thanks, I had found your thread, that's one of the reasons I started this one, I just wasn't sure if I had a big problem and needed to yet.

The strange thing about the rust, is the frame has quite bad surface rust, but the cab is pretty good...

BTW you couldn't give me a rough idea of the weight of a rail ? My restoration is going to be a bit "back yard" as well.

cheers

1/4 inch rails are about 13 pounds per foot.

Slathering POR 15 between the rails will just make it harder to do right.

The only way to fix it right is the hard way- separate them--

Separate them...

Are there original frame bolts avalible?

And does anybody knows - are there bolts in a frame of 1988 R metric or inch?

It's Canadian production though.

I took my frame minor apart removing 5th wheel, saw a mixture of bolt sizes.

Vlad

post-3971-0-33963200-1348425124_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

When we built our triple frame wrecker chassis we drilled the outer and inner frame rails and tapped it for grease fittings about every 12" or so depending on the location of brackets, suspension hangers, etc.. It has been on the road for 5 years with zero rust build up that we can see between the frame. Once a year we push fresh grease through the rails. On our recent rollback build, out of a 79 R model, I split the rails one side at a time while supporting the cab and engine/ trans. Used Eastwood rust convertor and rust encapsulator then top coated with a good high solids paint. I drilled the outer rails for grease fittings as well. It works great for us.