CDL - how did you get yours?

JTFormula

I am not sure if this was ever a topic. I tried to search but came up with nothing. I was pondering today how/if I should get my CDL license. I don't need it for my work but since I have joined this site and decided a big ass Mack is in my future, it would be to my best interest to get one. I am also looking at a rollback with 32900 gvwr and have checked out a couple 4 car carrier rollbacks as well. I work for a classic car dealership so I can get some use for either truck. I also thought of getting a B61 and pull a 3-4 car trailer behind it. Nothing like hauling classic rides with a classic rig.

So now I ask, how did everyone get their license? Was it company training? Friend with a truck? Learned on your own? Truck driving school like Smith and Solomon? Did you find it hard or easy?

I have trailer experiance. I used to drive our F350 and Dodge 3500 with the 48' Take 3 trailer plus we have a 38' two car hauler as well. I've also hauled a 42' enclosed car trailer with an F350 dually a bunch of times. I don't have any real air brake training or big Semi experiance.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hi JTF, Im in the same boat. I had my class 1 license back in 1970 when I was in the trucking business but let it go. I still run my own tool & die business but just bought 2 1964 Mack B81's Dump Trucks just to own them, no working them. I havent got a straight answer yet from insurance companies or registry, friends, etc, about whats required to drive a truck registered as an antique. Im also just about 70 which may be held against me. Thanks, Paul

RONCETTI

Growing up on a farm, i had the good fortune of field training at an early age, which ultimately allowed me to grandfather in for the CDL. Having worked as a CDL instructor and examiner in a past life, I can tell you tat most trucking schools are a waste of money. Get the book, study it, and learn the test game. The dirty secret about the CDL test is that you are allowed to miss 20% of the test and still pass. The trick is to learn your weak spots and use your points on those. Learn and be able to recite the pretrip inspection and you'll be ahead of 75% of the test takers. Good luck!

Corey

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who was willing to take me for my CDL-B, I ended up buying an old IH Fleetstar 6-wheel ramp truck from him with 33,000 lb GVW so I needed the license. If you are mechanically inclined the pre trip is pretty easy to master, that usually impresses the inspector right off the bat. The cone course is the hardest part. Once you can pass that stage the road trip is really a formality, they're mostly looking for how comfortable you are at handling the truck. Also, I rented a box truck from Ryder, they were the only company willing to rent an air brake truck for a CDL-B test. I inquired about renting a tractor trailer to take the A test but that involved signing a lease so it was a pretty involved proposition. They will double-check the truck to make sure it passes the pre trip, if it fails they'll fix it on their dime and give you a voucher for another day of rental. It's cheap insurance vs. bringing your own truck and being put out of service. Also, their trucks have synchronized transmissions. Make sure to still double clutch, the inspector will watch for that. But really you're just going through the motions.

Best of luck, seems like from what I hear it's harder and harder to get every year.

Paul, great looking truck. From what I have seen in pa and nj if you have antique plates and are using the truck for non commercial purposes you don't need a CDL. My though is if I get something like a B or R model that I would like to use it to make some money so it pays for itself.

I wouldn't have an issue with the driving portion. I am pretty confident I can drive anything anywhere and if a trailer fits, I can put it where it needs to go. It's the other aspects I need to figure out. If I get that rollback it has air brakes and I can use the two car trailer at work behind it. This way I have my over 26001 air brake truck with an over 10k trailer.

First step I guess is to download the CDL manual and start reading.

• Like 2

Idk I grew up around trucks and equipment. Learned to drive a 14 wheeler when I was 6 or 7, I figured trailers would be easy. Pulled a few with my pickup and tried to get the company I was running a dozer for to help me out on the CDL. No luck. Went to a "school" more along the lines the tested you and you could rent there truck. Downfall was only truck they had was a go matic. 4 hours later I had my CDL and then the fun began. No one would hire me or I had no otr time. even after I drove for 3 years but all in state. Read the book,Take the test, Learn your weak spots and study for those.

In n.j. if the truck is over 26001 or has air brakes you need at least a class b.

I got my class b back in the 90's. Read the dmv book, took the computer test for permit, then rented a straight job box and brought a friend who had a cdl with me to the road test. I have since got my class a that my employer paid for me to get.

• Like 1

If you read the dmv manual front to back the conputer test is easy, the hardest part of the road test is rembering everything for the pretrip inspection its pretty much the same for a or b. If your getting an a you can use a tag along with air brakes like a backhoe trailer and just practice the alley docking

I obtained my CDL on my own in 2006. I was able to find a local test facility that rented a tractor/trailer to practice the skills portion (backup, etc.). I studied the pretrip section in the CDL manual and repeated it in my head until I could do it in my sleep. For the written test I again studied the CDL manual. The actual on road driving portion of the test I "winged it" but I failed the first time. I knew what I did wrong and passed the OTR portion the second time (did not have to retake the pretrip and skills portions). I had previously driven HD trucks in fleet lots, on the farm, etc. so I never had any "formal" over the road training.

I believe now in order to get a CDL you must obtain it through a "truck driving school". Check with your local license bureau.

Good luck!!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

i got my class a last summer i have been around trucks all my life but i took a class so i could use their truck and they had a practice driving course set up to practice the manuvers and told you everything you needed to know about the pre trip to pass the test i went to class three times and took the test and passed. I am pretty sure without the class i wouldnt have passed that test first shot because in connecticut you have to start the entire test over again if you fail and i didnt want to do that. just my opnion for whatever its worth.

• Like 1

Got my class b using a neighbors r model with a manure tank on the back. Started driving mixers and dumps after that. When I was ready for my class a test I used a r model tractor hooked to a flow boy trailer for the test. Been 18 wheel trucking ever since. Miss haulin aphsalt though made a lot of money on those rate jobs.

Personally,i never had any "formal" training (truckdriving-wise) but was fortunate enough to come from a trucking family,i was taught the ropes by both my father and grandfather. When the CDL first became required,i had had my NJ articulated license long enough that i was "grandfathered" into the CDL,only having to take the written test,my father,who had several speeding tickets at the time,had to take both written AND road/skills test after 40 years driving a truck! a fact which i never let him live down! again,my personal opinion,i think truck driving "schools" are about one of the biggest rip-offs there are,i would first study-up,then find someone with a similar truck,get a basis going for some actual wheeltime,in the real world,and take it from there,as all you NEED to know cannot be learned or taught in a classroom...................................Mark

• Like 1

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I have a couple buddy's with trucks, one is a 9 car hauler which I think will be a little too much to try to do for a road test. Another has a Ford L9000 dump and equipment trailer. I agree that the schools seem to be a lot of money ($2800) for the training. I'd rather pick up a cheap tractor for $5000 then pay 3k for a school.

I have a couple buddy's with trucks, one is a 9 car hauler which I think will be a little too much to try to do for a road test. Another has a Ford L9000 dump and equipment trailer.

Double check with the licensing bureau before you take the test in the L9000, years ago they used to give out a CDL - A with an "O" restriction (fifth-wheel) which meant you could drive any size truck with any size TAG trailer, but NOT a fifth wheel (tractor - trailer). That may have changed in the last few years but better ask first. Otherwise you'll have to take the test all over again when you want to move up to an t/t license.

If I were you I'd get some practice in the 9-car hauler then take that. Just remember that you have an advantage of being able to see "through" the trailer to some extent, as opposed to a dry van trailer, during the cone course. You might have to spend some extra practice time but I recommend it if you can, over the dump / tag combination.

I truly regret that in 8 years I have yet to find both a tractor / trailer and the time to acquire my "A" license but maybe someday . . . . so if you can do it NOW then trust me you will never regret it! These licenses are only going to get harder and harder to get as time goes on.

I appreciate all the input so far. I am sure this is going to help others as well. I would prefer my class A over a B. I wouldnt have any problems with a straight truck for a B license but the whole reason is to be able to run tractor trailer.

Where to get a cdl? dont they still sell Cracker Jack's? I got mine with a friends bus, I just memorized the book drove around a little then went to take the test and got a class B then I used a dump truck and backhoe trailer for my class A. I agree with the previous Pre Trip comment, make 100% sure you have it down do it over and over then do it again, your examiner may not have you actually do the pre trip but walk around and tell them what you would be checking for. Never forget the steering and suspension components thats when lots of people lose points, they are not in plain sight but they want to hear you say you are checking for loose, missing or broken spring hangers, springs,shocks etc. dont forget the steering box, drag link, tie rod, brake chambers, slack adjusters and shoes, and the driveline your suppoed to check your u-joints, carrier bearings and driveshaft for loose, missing, broken or damaged components. Most states allow you to take a pre trip book or help guide with you put a star on the page in areas you know you have a lot to remember. ( I used to help train on CDL at Oprlyand Hotel Transportation in Nashville TN) I wish you luck and even if you dont use it much having a CDL will be a blessing when you do need it, and most employers look at it as another qualification to add to your resume showing you took some initiative to get better prepared for what you do before they hired you.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

back in the day, volunteer firefighters needed the old Class 2. a saturday was set up with the MV inspectors and all the locals would show up with about a total of 80 guys. No need for pre-trip stuff. just get in, take a drive, done. Lots of guys would join the vollies just to get a Class 2 , then get a job driving dump trucks. When it came my turn, the truck we brought, about 1959 Ford tanker, the clutch was worn pretty good. My drive was maybe a mile. Done.

got a job with a company that rented bulldozers, backhoes and stuff. Needed a Class 1. No pre-trip, just a drive. No backing stuff.

When the change to the CDL came, I could have been grandfathered to Class A, but moved to Florida too soon. Had to start at the basic. Company had their own inspectors so it was a bit easier. Now at Class B, but have thought about getting an A. Local community college has a program that will help experienced drivers. Hourly rate for the truck/trailer and rider. Its run by Sage Schools. Maybe this winter

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Where to get a cdl? dont they still sell Cracker Jack's? I got mine with a friends bus, I just memorized the book drove around a little then went to take the test and got a class B then I used a dump truck and backhoe trailer for my class A. I agree with the previous Pre Trip comment, make 100% sure you have it down do it over and over then do it again, your examiner may not have you actually do the pre trip but walk around and tell them what you would be checking for. Never forget the steering and suspension components thats when lots of people lose points, they are not in plain sight but they want to hear you say you are checking for loose, missing or broken spring hangers, springs,shocks etc. dont forget the steering box, drag link, tie rod, brake chambers, slack adjusters and shoes, and the driveline your suppoed to check your u-joints, carrier bearings and driveshaft for loose, missing, broken or damaged components. Most states allow you to take a pre trip book or help guide with you put a star on the page in areas you know you have a lot to remember. ( I used to help train on CDL at Oprlyand Hotel Transportation in Nashville TN) I wish you luck and even if you dont use it much having a CDL will be a blessing when you do need it, and most employers look at it as another qualification to add to your resume showing you took some initiative to get better prepared for what you do before they hired you.

That is some great info. Thanks for the advice.