Need your opinion fellas

tkobes43

Well as you all must know I have my international for sale on eBay. Well it really isn't getting the attention I thought it would. Ive had a few tire kickers in Canada and Vermont areas but no one seems to be serious just asking genera questions and saying hey man awesome truck hope it goes to a good home. Well with that being said if it doesn't sell I'm just gonna keep her and hope I get my cdl the next time around. I have the work lined up but I can't work with no cdl. Even though I did a few hauls for my friends and myself. Well the reason I'm typing this is I have a question for you guys. If i do decide to keep it I would like a little bit extra power. I found this "chip" I guess you could call it. It's a diablo powerpuck it says I can gain up to 50 hp. I'm just wondering if it would be a smart idea to put it on. Would it make the truck smoke more then it does? It smokes a little on start up, when I hit the jake, and when I down shift but nothing much. Would it cause any engine issues? Let me know what you guys think!!!! Thanks guys

Heres the link- http://www.ebay.com/itm/DiabloSport-Extreme-PowerPuck-97-06-International-DT570-/130522693963?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e63c2414b&vxp=mtr#ht_2380wt_689

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

My opinion is if the factory wanted that extra power they would have put it in. Don't sacrifice durability for horsepower. J Hancock is right, work on getting that cdl and getting experience before getting into more power/ hot ridding truck motors etc. get more power as you get experience. I've seen too many of these younger guys come out here with a fresh cdl thinking they are bobby big rigger and cause problems or end up in a ditch. Go slow be safe. Mike

• Like 1

I would concentrate on the CDL.

Then get working the rig and see what it really needs.

Sorry, don't know anything about the chip.

Jim

The chips makes smoke... which makes DOT angry...which also makes the truck get tagged...which causes alot of tickets and you poorer. Paul

Work on the CDL. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yep, I agree with all of you. CDL is frist on the list. Just wondering if the truck doesn't sell and after I get the CDL. He could use a few extra HP but I'd rather go slower up hills then piss mr dot off lol.

Thanks guys

Tom

I run a Banks Work and Tow unit in my Dodge with the 1st gen Cummins. 3 settings controlled from dash unit, for economy, normal and power. It is CARB approved with Banks Clean Air Teck. I had to run the air intake and exhaust as a set. Been using it for 5 or 6 years and no problems and minimum smoke even under full power. I imagine with the new tech advances the new units work even better now. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I run a Banks Work and Tow unit in my Dodge with the 1st gen Cummins. 3 settings controlled from dash unit, for economy, normal and power. It is CARB approved with Banks Clean Air Teck. I had to run the air intake and exhaust as a set. Been using it for 5 or 6 years and no problems and minimum smoke even under full power. I imagine with the new tech advances the new units work even better now. Paul

Paul- this tune is just to allow up to 50 extra horsepower. It's not supposed to smoke but I've heard that it will make it smoke some. It's pretty much a plug and play system and takes 3 minutes to install.

Tom

is it already turned up to factory specs???you know they just plug in a computer to do that now rite????bob

I've asked cause they use these engines in the international 4400 fire trucks. They have the engines in those trucks turned up an extra 25 hp. I've asked international if they can reprogram the computer and have mine do that but no matter how much I bribe them. They will NOT do it.... Oh well

Tom

Guessing the factory doesn't want to rate it higher then they want to(and have you complain if you blow it up). Or get caught by the green weenies that complain about smoke and you say "the dealer set it up this way". Doh!

Get your license and enjoy what you got. If you feel you are underpowered.............come drive MY truck! That will make you DAMN happy with what you got.

Sounds like a plan... :) lol

Tom

I agree with the rest of the guys. Just focus on the CDL and not with the mods. Start making money with that rig and after 10,000 miles under your belt you will know what you need and don't need.

I put almost that much on it since I bought it. Lol. Around 8000 is a good Guess.

Tom

Just my opinion but there is much much better out there than a power puck. No experience with them but TS performance and Pittsburg Power come to mind. The reason that IH does not want to turn up the juice is reliability. RV and emergency vehicles are not hard worked motors and the manufacturers can get away with more power being produced compared to an OTR truck motor. RVs and fire trucks usually are not worn out before being replaced where OTRs get inframes and have long lives being loaded.

I also agree with concentrate on the CDL first. That said an underpowered truck is a real miserable thing to drive.

Just my opinion but there is much much better out there than a power puck. No experience with them but TS performance and Pittsburg Power come to mind. The reason that IH does not want to turn up the juice is reliability. RV and emergency vehicles are not hard worked motors and the manufacturers can get away with more power being produced compared to an OTR truck motor. RVs and fire trucks usually are not worn out before being replaced where OTRs get inframes and have long lives being loaded.

I also agree with concentrate on the CDL first. That said an underpowered truck is a real miserable thing to drive.

Yep I looked else where for a "better" chip, but nothing else works with my engine. I'm not looking for a extra 150 hp cause that'll cause issues. Just a extra 50 would be good. Bully dog makes a universal one for cat, Detroit and international. But that's 4000 dollars. The power puck is only I think 250 - 300 dollars....

Tom

There is a reason why it's so cheap. I have found that those too good to be true big HP mods for cheap money are usually a waste of cash. I refer to the best example: The Tornado. Millions sold, millions screwed.

Drive what you have. You will have reliability and less headaches. Plus 50hp won't feel like a whole lot anyway. Torque is really what makes a difference when towing/hauling.

I also don't really go by online reviews for products. Most of the time it's people who just bought the product and are still in euphoria and two months down the road they realize they bought a pile of crap. I want to hear from someone who has owned the item for a year then make a review for a true evaluation.

• Like 1

There is a reason why it's so cheap. I have found that those too good to be true big HP mods for cheap money are usually a waste of cash. I refer to the best example: The Tornado. Millions sold, millions screwed.

Drive what you have. You will have reliability and less headaches. Plus 50hp won't feel like a whole lot anyway. Torque is really what makes a difference when towing/hauling.

I also don't really go by online reviews for products. Most of the time it's people who just bought the product and are still in euphoria and two months down the road they realize they bought a pile of crap. I want to hear from someone who has owned the item for a year then make a review for a true evaluation.

Yea, true. We'll see I guess... When are you coming north again?

Tom