p.o.s. newfangled trucks!

other dog

Yep checked everywhere, Only thing i can do is spend a lot of money for trucking school in new jersey, or work for JB Cunt Hunt and they pay for it but intern i drive for them for a few years, or study my manual which i have done but can not pass my test and still pay to take the over the road test, or fly to texas for a 500 round trip flight and pay 250 for trucking school and have my cdl in 3-5 days.

Tom

If you go out of state to get your CDL, you will have to transfer your DL to that other state (Texas cannot administer the road test for a New Jersey license). To do that, you'll have to have an address within that state. Some CDL schools will allow you to use their address for your license. Then, once you have your Texas CDL, you'll have to transfer it back to New Jersey. I'm not sure what all is involved in that...but Illinois requires that you retake ALL of the tests...written AND driving....before you can transfer a CDL to Illinois. If New Jersey has a similar requirement, you'd still be needing a truck to test in to keep your CDL when you return home...so check into that BEFORE you decide to leave the state. One more thing to consider, every application you fill out is going to ask what states you have held licenses in over the past 10 years...so don't forget that license number because you'll have to report that Texas license that you held for 2 or 3 weeks on every job application. That isn't really a problem, though, because it is pretty common (or at least it USED to be) to go out of state for CDL training....as long as you surrendered your NJ license when you got the TX license, and then surrendered the TX license when you got back to NJ so that you only ever had 1 valid drivers license at any moment in time, you're fine.

Personally, if transferred my license to Texas for any reason, I don't think I'd ever come back here...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

If you go out of state to get your CDL, you will have to transfer your DL to that other state (Texas cannot administer the road test for a New Jersey license). To do that, you'll have to have an address within that state. Some CDL schools will allow you to use their address for your license. Then, once you have your Texas CDL, you'll have to transfer it back to New Jersey. I'm not sure what all is involved in that...but Illinois requires that you retake ALL of the tests...written AND driving....before you can transfer a CDL to Illinois. If New Jersey has a similar requirement, you'd still be needing a truck to test in to keep your CDL when you return home...so check into that BEFORE you decide to leave the state. One more thing to consider, every application you fill out is going to ask what states you have held licenses in over the past 10 years...so don't forget that license number because you'll have to report that Texas license that you held for 2 or 3 weeks on every job application. That isn't really a problem, though, because it is pretty common (or at least it USED to be) to go out of state for CDL training....as long as you surrendered your NJ license when you got the TX license, and then surrendered the TX license when you got back to NJ so that you only ever had 1 valid drivers license at any moment in time, you're fine.

Personally, if transferred my license to Texas for any reason, I don't think I'd ever come back here...

ugh i really hope there isn't a issue where i have to take the test over again. Shit should probably check.

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

TMC ditched the super singles when they realized how useless they were. They replaced with duals in order of unit number, regardless of tire wear.

I hope this doesn't catch on:

mvt1.jpg

I'm going to ask a stupid question. What is that stuff on the back of this trailer and what is it for. Looks like a big vortech to add a lot of wind drag as air swirls in that big hole in the center.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

Something i found out a few weeks ago is truck driving schools will only take people in from the state they are training in.....Put it this way if your from new jersey only schools from new jersey will b able totake you. This is a new law that goes into effect August 26th or 27th, and this is from the recruiter lady from Stevens Transport outa Dallas, Tx. Not 100% positive on this, but u might wanna check into it.......

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

I'm going to ask a stupid question. What is that stuff on the back of this trailer and what is it for. Looks like a big vortech to add a lot of wind drag as air swirls in that big hole in the center.

Seen one of those setups on a "Nussbaum" freight truck Friday just beat all to hell. I think the driver forgot it was there when backing into a dock. The trailer was damaged also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It's a boat tail sort of contraption...designed to ease the airflow back around the rear of the trailer instead of leaving a huge low-pressure area sucking at the back of the trailer.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

If the wrecker company I had been working for wasn't bought out, I would have used their trucks to get my CDL...I had my permit and was being trained into the medium/heavy duty wrecker. Shit happens, though, and I ended up going to a 2-week school....tested the first day they let us (I was the ONLY one that passed that first day) and got the hell out of there. 3 weeks out with a trainer (they usually did at LEAST 4-5 weeks) after the trainer's truck lost it's ECM....he said I was good enough to not need that last week or two, and I've been out here on my own ever since. Really started learning HOW a truck works while hauling logs...part of my job was doing the routine maintenance (oil changes & grease) and would be the truck boss's extra set of hands for any other minor repairs (he was an ex-Mack mechanic). Major stuff still went to Mack...but we did quite a bit in-house. Realized wrenching on big trucks isn't all that much different than wrenching on cars & pickups (which I've been doing since before I could drive)...you just need bigger wrenches....and ever since then, I've ALWAYS carried tools. Of course now that I own the truck that I drive, my on-board tool kit takes up a bit more space than it ever did as a company driver (24" x 24" x 36" side box stuffed full as opposed to a simple 18 to 20" tool box). Tearing into the engine, transmission, or center sections of the drives is about all I won't do these days. If I was completely out of debt and had plenty of money in the bank to cover the bills for a while, I might tear into those as well....but when you need the truck to be running, you don't have time to "figure it out" as you go & some things are just best left to those who know WTF they are doing.

...and yeah, I remember no AC in the summer time like it was today. Come to think of it, it WAS today...and yesterday....and the day before that....and the 4+ years before that. I sure hope I never have to fire myself, because most drivers you see these days are pansy-asses and view AC as a "necessity" rather than the luxury item it really is. Mankind survived for thousands of years before the invention of AC....we can do without it today, too.

Yup we did everything in house except the major stuff sent the major stuff to our mechanic in the backwoods of Millington,Tn . I Pretty much had a rolling shop on a 84' K3500 GMC 1 Ton flatbed & a 89 F250 Ford 2wd p/u if a dozer or other piece of equipment went down in the field or 1 of our dump trucks or our lowboy went down on the roadside. your right bud ya gotta know how to turn wrenches when you are an O/O & Try to saveas much $ as ya can .

We had 1 truck that had A/C On it & the driver was so used to going w/o A/C For years he hardly used it this part of the reason why i hardly use A/C In a work truck to this day .i now work for the guys that sold us our tires & the 1 ton i drive @ work has A/C On it & i wont use it most of the time cause if i have to get out it makes it worse on me Getting in & out of the truck . ive got sick this way before & i learned from it after a hose busted on a Cat trackhoe many years ago & i had to get out & fix it .

Later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude: