Connecticut Construction Trucks

Thanks Vinny, working for A Julian was my first taste of the R series Macks. It was all B and DM except for Della's Superliner.post-426-0-62642800-1362426043_thumb.jpgHere is TVS from New London, one of their Brockways in 1982post-426-0-22015200-1362426121_thumb.jpg318 Detriot with a 15 speedpost-426-0-22265000-1362426178.jpg Would Pull steel out of Bethlehem, when men were men and trucks were wood ;)

• Like 2

Brain, do you have any pictures of A.J. Coal? He had some nice Macks back in the day. Friend in Colchester owns AJ's old black Superlner.

He had a lot of light blue B-models too. He went under as PS Door back then, tractors and tri-axles. He had his garage on Gold St Meriden

Matt

Had to go to Conn today and was surprised to see Red-Arts Garage with the signs all gone and the place cleaned out. In the back of my mind I thought I saw the old Brockway wrecker recently posted someplace so can't say I was surprised. Seems like it was yesterday and these were the guys who handled the wrecks on 84 from say Manchester to the Mass line-with their old single axle "hooks".

Then again, the business has changed. If anyone saw any of the coverage last week of the recovery operation when the bus carrying the U-Maine girls basketball team went off 95. Coady had TWO big boom wreckers on scene-$$$$$$$$$ (Seems like one would have been sufficient) . One of those CH Macks is currently on sale on eBay for 350 thou!

Didn't he have a nice '60s R-model too. That Brockway has been down here for about 2 years now. A local towing company just bought a tri-axle pete for 750,000 with a rotator. Then you got Plunske with a 1 of 50 Oshkosh aircraft recovery trucks that handles the jobs just fine taking car of 91 in Wallingford/North Haven. Bought it from a guy in NJ who put a 300, 6 speed with new DMM hood and cab

DSC_1451.jpg

• Like 2

Matt

Had to go to Conn today and was surprised to see Red-Arts Garage with the signs all gone and the place cleaned out. In the back of my mind I thought I saw the old Brockway wrecker recently posted someplace so can't say I was surprised. Seems like it was yesterday and these were the guys who handled the wrecks on 84 from say Manchester to the Mass line-with their old single axle "hooks".

Then again, the business has changed. If anyone saw any of the coverage last week of the recovery operation when the bus carrying the U-Maine girls basketball team went off 95. Coady had TWO big boom wreckers on scene-$$$$$$$$$ (Seems like one would have been sufficient) . One of those CH Macks is currently on sale on eBay for 350 thou!

I noticed Red-Arts closed as well Sunday. I wonder what happened to the Mack, think it had a holmes 750 on the business end

Funny story about the S And S B Model I posted back a ways. Honestly this truck was gorgeous and a great restoration. It was in 91 at Englishtown and we had already set up our parking with the International. So this guy shows up later with this B Model and backs it in and says to me " can you move your truck over because people are going to want to take pictures of my truck" he wasn't very pleasant either. So he sets up his fancy sign he had painted and all of his bullshit and a strong wind came and shattered his fancy signs. He still took best dump even though it was a trailer queen.

Cheers, Robert

• Like 2

Didn't he have a nice '60s R-model too. That Brockway has been down here for about 2 years now. A local towing company just bought a tri-axle pete for 750,000 with a rotator. Then you got Plunske with a 1 of 50 Oshkosh aircraft recovery trucks that handles the jobs just fine taking car of 91 in Wallingford/North Haven. Bought it from a guy in NJ who put a 300, 6 speed with new DMM hood and cab

DSC_1451.jpg

Matt, He did have an older R Model too as BK noted-not sure if it was a 750 on it -but the trucks were always inside-I'm sure these were clean units.

Nice shot of the Plunske truck- when we were kids we used to drive up rt 5 to see all the red Fords parked in a row-he had a couple of nice Super Dutys too-as in F-950 Super Duty not F-350 Super Duty. Wonder what became of those- I saw he had a clean 70's 750 for sale a while ago.

I can't imagine how these guys pay off these new monsters-then again, I think that CH Coady is selling has over 200,000 on it and its not that old- good utilization-then again they don't work cheap-ask your dad if he remembers when we rolled one of the new CH's over on I-93 in like 1991. Coady's bill for that was over 10 grand.

• Like 1

Matt, He did have an older R Model too as BK noted-not sure if it was a 750 on it -but the trucks were always inside-I'm sure these were clean units.

Nice shot of the Plunske truck- when we were kids we used to drive up rt 5 to see all the red Fords parked in a row-he had a couple of nice Super Dutys too-as in F-950 Super Duty not F-350 Super Duty. Wonder what became of those- I saw he had a clean 70's 750 for sale a while ago.

I can't imagine how these guys pay off these new monsters-then again, I think that CH Coady is selling has over 200,000 on it and its not that old- good utilization-then again they don't work cheap-ask your dad if he remembers when we rolled one of the new CH's over on I-93 in like 1991. Coady's bill for that was over 10 grand.

They have more than 40 wreckers for 3 guys to drive. Snow/Rain trucks and Sunny day trucks. They kept most of the trucks they bought.

CT allows $275hr for a regular heavy duty wrecker never mind a crane or rotator. He remembers that one. He said a girl cut off the truck and turned herself in the next day because it contaminated the towns water supply. Sunoco rolled one getting off Exit-8 and the bill was $28K without environmental

Matt

Bob- He was also telling me how one of the single drop grocery trailers loaded with motor oil lost and axle on the Cross Bronx. None of the towing companies wanted anything to do with it so him and the other guy went down and jacked the trailer up and got the axle back under it then chained the axle in so it wouldn't move. that was after about 7 or 8hrs of jacking and pushing and pulling. The 2 sister to the trailer both broke in half in North Haven by the drop. he said they use to overload them

Matt