B model shutter replacement

Good afternoon gentlemen!

Has anybody here purchased the replacement shutter set that Watts offers in the B model store? And If so what is your impressions of it. Is it a direct match or does it have any obvious differences from the original. Im fairly certain my shutters recoil actuating springs are rusted and seized in the open position and furthermore the middle slat is broken from its arm, so it just swivels any which way in the frame. And the actuating arm has been disconnected by somebody years ago which leads me to believe its not been functioning for a while. Considering replacement if the new one looks correct....Thanks in advance for any input.

Good afternoon gentlemen!

Has anybody here purchased the replacement shutter set that Watts offers in the B model store? And If so what is your impressions of it. Is it a direct match or does it have any obvious differences from the original. Im fairly certain my shutters recoil actuating springs are rusted and seized in the open position and furthermore the middle slat is broken from its arm, so it just swivels any which way in the frame. And the actuating arm has been disconnected by somebody years ago which leads me to believe its not been functioning for a while. Considering replacement if the new one looks correct....Thanks in advance for any input.

The originals are not difficult to repair. Take it apart and you will discover repair is probably more cost effective than replacement.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

i took mine all apart, sandblasted them and replaced a few louvers. took me about three sets of shutters to find enough non bent and broken ones to make one good set but its worth it. also put it back together with little c clips instead of the original wire that rots and breaks. mine are the smooth style shutters tho, have not taken the other style apart with the rubber on them but i assume they are similar. Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

i took mine all apart, sandblasted them and replaced a few louvers. took me about three sets of shutters to find enough non bent and broken ones to make one good set but its worth it. also put it back together with little c clips instead of the original wire that rots and breaks. mine are the smooth style shutters tho, have not taken the other style apart with the rubber on them but i assume they are similar. Matt

Even the older style riveted ones come apart the same. I've purchased about three of the riveted style from trucks to make one good set. Those blades are thin and always bent. The smooth style common from about 1962 on are the easiest of all of them. I wish the rubber inserts were available to be 100%.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've had mine apart, then polished them. Lucky they were in decent shape to begin with.

Jan28_0004.jpg

Haven't seen the price on the replacement stuff, but likely would try to piece something together first.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yours looks very good. Mine had black painted shutters and looked absent in a photo. So I go and stripped all the paint off and hopefully be satisfied with the shiny look. At least you can tell I now have shutters.

mike

hi mike, it sounds like you are making some progress. did you get everything all apart already? aj

Well heres a link to the item in question. It aint cheap! However I think its spectacular that Watts is trying to make this stuff available to us. Making one out of three is just fine and dandy if ya can find em, afford em, and actually have usable parts left on em. Everything I come across is just as rusted and busted as mine if not worse. As time passes im sure its going to become more difficult to find the originals in good shape....its nice to know you might have a fallback plan here...

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_34&products_id=389

Well heres a link to the item in question. It aint cheap! However I think its spectacular that Watts is trying to make this stuff available to us. Making one out of three is just fine and dandy if ya can find em, afford em, and actually have usable parts left on em. Everything I come across is just as rusted and busted as mine if not worse. As time passes im sure its going to become more difficult to find the originals in good shape....its nice to know you might have a fallback plan here... http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_34&products_id=389
Most folks that are collectors and understand you are fixing a truck for yourself and not to resale will be very favorable to deal with. Don't think I've ever given over $50.00 for a set of shutters and most I've traded parts surplus to me for what I need. This website here is a very good source but you have to stay on top to get results. As human beings we don't recall so well someone elses' problems as we have our own to deal with. Refresh, or bump to the top a couple times and month and the non everyday participants will see your needs and have opportunity to respond.

Rob

hi mike, it sounds like you are making some progress. did you get everything all apart already? aj

Hello AJ.

My truck is in many pieces. The engine is about ready for assembly. I'm waiting for the compressor to come back from Midland in North Carolina in about a week. I'm also getting the TRD 72 seals and gaskets in 2 weeks. The body inside is painted back to it's original green. My clutch and flywheel is here local at a shop, Tennessee Clutch & Supply Inc. I'm happy to find these guys. The owner is 3rd generation family and is my age with 2 older men working for him. He is into antique supplies and is finding stuff all over the world to help people with their restorations he said. I'm glad to have found this place of business. We grew up in the same side of town and funny that I had never been there.

Thanks for asking.

mike