video

other dog

Just checked out the second video. Great Coastal's Freightliners were a common sight in the northeast as far back as I can remember.

Stopped at White's a few times with my Dad in the late 70's and each time it was packed with "Handshakes" doing swaps.

Jim

Just checked out the second video. Great Coastal's Freightliners were a common sight in the northeast as far back as I can remember.

Stopped at White's a few times with my Dad in the late 70's and each time it was packed with "Handshakes" doing swaps.

Yeah, then I think Yellow had a terminal there that's closed now and their old yard is more truckstop parking lot. It's not even White's anymore- might be a Petro or something, I don't remember. That old "White's Truckstop" sign was laying over by 81 for a long time, don't know if it still is. I haven't stopped there for years myself, don't know what became of the knife and gun collection that was in there- it might still be there.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I might take the kids to Coles Transportation Musium this week end, if they allow, I'll nget some pics of the old stuff, speaking of pics, isn't Vinney, oh never mind, someone needs to send the boy some batteries.

Thats back when trucks were coming into the modern ages, still some rough riding, under powered noisy trucks. And we complain today. Imagine driving some of those day in day out on the roads they had, and what about the generation before them. No interstates.

Yeah, then I think Yellow had a terminal there that's closed now and their old yard is more truckstop parking lot. It's not even White's anymore- might be a Petro or something, I don't remember. That old "White's Truckstop" sign was laying over by 81 for a long time, don't know if it still is. I haven't stopped there for years myself, don't know what became of the knife and gun collection that was in there- it might still be there.

I remember Yellow's yard just south of there. I read recently about the change of ownership but don't know any details.

I had forgotten about another visit to White's-New Years Eve 2001. The only time I was away from home for any major holiday and I decided I was not going to be driving at the stroke of midnight so I pulled into White's around 11:25. The cb was so busy that half the time all you heard was the sound of 2 or 3 drivers stepping on each other. At about 2 minutes to 12, A female in the parking lot pulled off her top and it was a few minutes into 2002 before anyone was able to regain their composure and acknowledge the New Year. I made a quick call home and hit the road again, regretting having stopped.

Jim

Neat videos Tom,some rare trucks in the first one,i saw a KW-CBE,an FWD cabover and conventional,and a freightliner "powerliner" i believe that was the one you could get either a KTA-600 Cummins,or a 3408 CAT...............Whites aint the same! i was in there a few weeks ago,gun/knife collection is gone,they have re-modeled the restaurant,not bad food,but getting expensive just like everywhere else. I Forget who bought them out,T/A maybe? same fate as Jarrells,Speed & Briscoe and most of the other good "mom & pop" places................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Neat videos Tom,some rare trucks in the first one,i saw a KW-CBE,an FWD cabover and conventional,and a freightliner "powerliner" i believe that was the one you could get either a KTA-600 Cummins,or a 3408 CAT...............Whites aint the same! i was in there a few weeks ago,gun/knife collection is gone,they have re-modeled the restaurant,not bad food,but getting expensive just like everywhere else. I Forget who bought them out,T/A maybe? same fate as Jarrells,Speed & Briscoe and most of the other good "mom & pop" places................Mark

Lee-Hi is T/A now, if I stop around that area that's where I go. We have a fuel account at Lee-Hi too, so we don't have to use the comdata card, so nothing has to match... ^_^

Stopped at White's quite regular up until I changed jobs a month ago, just don't run down that way anymore. It is a PETRO now, and the company I was leased to got a decent fuel discount at T/A's and PETRO, so I continued to stop there after the change. IMHO still one of the better stops in the area, decent food, clean showers, and many of the same people working there. My only complaint might be the "new breed" of clientele that the big name fuel stops bring in.

Oh, well could be worse... at my new job the preferred fuel stop is PILOT grrrrrr.... I don't have much use for PILOT or the fast food they offer. Wait 10 minutes to get to the fuel pump, wait another 10 minutes in line for a fuel receipt and a cup of coffee and another 10 minutes for traffic to clear so you can exit the too small parking lot. Location doesn't matter, every PILOT seems to be the same.

Gregg

• Like 1

I agree,Pilot sucks! i only stop at them as a last resort,just too much BS for me,same as you said,no parking,WAIT for fuel,WAIT for shower (and most of them only have 4/5) just an all around bad idea!.................................Mark

I agree,Pilot sucks! i only stop at them as a last resort,just too much BS for me,same as you said,no parking,WAIT for fuel,WAIT for shower (and most of them only have 4/5) just an all around bad idea!.................................Mark

I used to say "there's only one Pilot in the United States with plenty of parking...and nobody knows where it is". But really, the only ones that do have a half decent parking lot are the ones that used to be Williams.

I can only think of one Pilot that has a decent sized parking lot,and some nice facilities,cant remember the name of the town,but its off I-75 in either Georgia,or maybe northern Florida,they have a "Steak and Shake" there,and a "Steakin' Beacon" been quite a while since i've been down that way,doing a LOT of new england lately,which of course has NO truckstops good or bad!. oh wait! the newer pilot next to Secondi brothers in Milford,CT,if you aint in there by 1:30 PM,you aint getting a shot at one of their 25 parking spots!.........Mark

I can only think of one Pilot that has a decent sized parking lot,and some nice facilities,cant remember the name of the town,but its off I-75 in either Georgia,or maybe northern Florida,they have a "Steak and Shake" there,and a "Steakin' Beacon" been quite a while since i've been down that way,doing a LOT of new england lately,which of course has NO truckstops good or bad!. oh wait! the newer pilot next to Secondi brothers in Milford,CT,if you aint in there by 1:30 PM,you aint getting a shot at one of their 25 parking spots!.........Mark

Mark,

There was also Johnny's truckstop by me on RT-78 EX 12 I think it was Pilot that took them over? Well anyway it now SUCKS!!

ErnieDS

Mark,

There was also Johnny's truckstop by me on RT-78 EX 12 I think it was Pilot that took them over? Well anyway it now SUCKS!!

ErnieDS

what else is new,,,some 20 year old bimbo,,workin the desk,,,with the famous last words sorry sir.lol.bob
  • Like 1

the personal touch is all gone everywhere,,,no more truckstops,,,AND NO MORE TRUCKDRIVERS...its all corperate america,,,and steering wheel holders,,,i miss the old days.boohoo bob

Gotta agree with ya' there bud! i frickin' HATE being called a "trucker" like a slap in the face to me! some of the newbies that cant drive,back-up,slide their own tandems,dont know how or what "hangin'iron" in the winter is,maybe it don't bother them.......but me,i'm a TRUCKDRIVER from the old school,always have been,always will be! think i was born too late i guess!...................................Mark

Mark,

ErnieDS

YUP! i stopped in there on my way home last winter,pulled through (all i wanted was something to drink) took me almost an hour to get out of the parking lot! some of these damn in-considerate guys park (and leave) there damn trucks anywhere they feel like it,to hell with anybody else!.........................Mark