Rusty tank:

Rob

Couldn't find a serviceable tank so decided to patch to old one. Damned thing had several holes rotted through under the retaining strap.post-78-0-52542100-1332767160_thumb.jpgpost-78-0-11637100-1332767181_thumb.jpgpost-78-0-72712800-1332767205_thumb.jpg

I cut an overlay patch from another scrap tank around the shop.post-78-0-81467400-1332767248_thumb.jpgpost-78-0-26875000-1332767268_thumb.jpg

After cutting out the bad areas about 1/2" each side of the normal strap binding area, I welded it together.post-78-0-86248900-1332767339_thumb.jpg

And Finally, my opinion of rusty old fuel tanks.post-78-0-89366300-1332767381_thumb.jpg

No leaks as per soap bubble and pressure testing and so far dry this morning under the truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yup, my square tanks were rough. Had to fix the bottom of drivers side about 8 yrs ago. It was fine, then suddenly it was puking it's guts out. DOH!!

The passenger tank went at the inside corner(under step plate). It was just barely seeping, leaving a damp spot on the side of tank. I got a strip of 1/8" material about 1 1/2" wide and laid it the whole width. Poured the coals and presto----no leaks.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I usually like to "tig" this stuff back together but this doesn't show so just went after it with the mig cause it's faster.

Damned timer board incinerated itself for the gas afterflow in my tig machine. This I may just buy a new welder as parts are long obsolete for it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'd love to get myself a TIG machine. My ol Millermatic MIG works pretty good(when it wants to). The contactor sounds like a sledgehammer bang'n on the machine when you pull the trigger. I can lay a nice bead if I can see(damn eyesight and not enough light usually). I laugh and tell'm that, "Okay it's not pretty, but it AIN'T gunno break". I've taught myself to TIG at work(using the BIG machines). I got the idear, just don't do it enough to become proficient(ie: neat).

Friend has a pair on new Miller machines(TIG and MIG). That MIG is so quiet you don't know it's running until you look up at the digital display. My rattles/shakes like a Model T LOL!!

Larry

I'd love to get myself a TIG machine. My ol Millermatic MIG works pretty good(when it wants to). The contactor sounds like a sledgehammer bang'n on the machine when you pull the trigger. I can lay a nice bead if I can see(damn eyesight and not enough light usually). I laugh and tell'm that, "Okay it's not pretty, but it AIN'T gunno break". I've taught myself to TIG at work(using the BIG machines). I got the idear, just don't do it enough to become proficient(ie: neat).

Friend has a pair on new Miller machines(TIG and MIG). That MIG is so quiet you don't know it's running until you look up at the digital display. My rattles/shakes like a Model T LOL!!

I have a 300 ampere Lincon Tig300/300 and it works very well for a transformer type machine. Really the only one I've owned and taught myself how to use it. It still works but the argon gas flows constantly because of the timer board. I may engineer a replacement board using only the components needed because I have an external cooler for the torch. The board controls the gas solenoid, and coolant pump. The original did not like to push coolant 35 feet so the external one will push 100' if desired.

Been thinking about a new Miller "Syncrowave" but for the limited amount of use this machine gets, I can't justify the cost. Inverter technology and square wave output really make it easy nowadays.

Rob

I'm so used to my old machine, my friend gave me his new MIG to fix the the rear suspension on the wagon last winter and I had a hard time welding with it. Told me it would do a better job............but it was so different I had a hard time getting it set right. Even though it's all digital and infinite control. Of course I'm under the car, trying to weld with my helmet mashed between the frame and floor and no room to work/move. Makes it hard to do anything neat. Light?? There wasn't room for light LOL!!!

Put me up on a table with everything just right and I'll be Piccasso too. I made a few pieces for buddies Bobcat yesterday. A couple times I went..."wow, that's a purdy weld". Others, not so much. I'm just kneeling on the floor with part flopping around.

At the prices for TIG machines and the amount of work I do, it ain't happening either.

Larry

I'm so used to my old machine, my friend gave me his new MIG to fix the the rear suspension on the wagon last winter and I had a hard time welding with it. Told me it would do a better job............but it was so different I had a hard time getting it set right. Even though it's all digital and infinite control. Of course I'm under the car, trying to weld with my helmet mashed between the frame and floor and no room to work/move. Makes it hard to do anything neat. Light?? There wasn't room for light LOL!!!

Put me up on a table with everything just right and I'll be Piccasso too. I made a few pieces for buddies Bobcat yesterday. A couple times I went..."wow, that's a purdy weld". Others, not so much. I'm just kneeling on the floor with part flopping around.

At the prices for TIG machines and the amount of work I do, it ain't happening either.

Each machine is different for certain. Took me a while to learn both of my mig machines idiosyncracies but once familiar I can move from job to job fairly comfortable. I never cared much for the electronics in the newer machines. Very flimsy if you ever get a a look at them and welders live in a hostile environment if there ever was one.

Rob

I borrowed a friends 110v machine when I put the bunk on the back of the truck. First I coudn't get my big machine around to where I was welding, plus I was only welding sheetmetal and those small machines do a great job since that is at the upper end of their capabilities/duty cycle. This was a gas machine also, so no flux core wire!

Larry

My dad has a Lincoln 110 volt MIG welder and it does the job very well every time. I can't wait to start using it when 14.

Ben

Most machines will do a good job if used within their design parameters and the base structure you wish to weld together is properly cleaned/prepped. I have a small Lincoln SP-125 mig welder that was the shop favorite due to size and lightweight. I wouldn't use it on a truck frame as it just is not heavy enough, but for welding a 1/4 panel or other sheet metal repair it is great.

Uncle Rob

I borrowed a friends 110v machine when I put the bunk on the back of the truck. First I coudn't get my big machine around to where I was welding, plus I was only welding sheetmetal and those small machines do a great job since that is at the upper end of their capabilities/duty cycle. This was a gas machine also, so no flux core wire!

I've only used flux cored wire when using a mig outside. Typically when welding outside I used my tig machine and welding rod with the hi frequency operating. Makes it really easy and 6011 will penetrate and float off impurities well. Mig, or tig welding out of doors is a waste of time to attempt. The shielding gas blows away too easily plus used steel just does not weld as well as new and uncorroded stuff.

Rob

Uncle rob, I hope the tank didn't feel afended and break because you flipped it off. Your nephew Vinny

I think it is either relieved, or scared cause it ain't leaking no more.

Uncle Rob

I have a 300 ampere Lincon Tig300/300 and it works very well for a transformer type machine. Really the only one I've owned and taught myself how to use it. It still works but the argon gas flows constantly because of the timer board. I may engineer a replacement board using only the components needed because I have an external cooler for the torch. The board controls the gas solenoid, and coolant pump. The original did not like to push coolant 35 feet so the external one will push 100' if desired.

Been thinking about a new Miller "Syncrowave" but for the limited amount of use this machine gets, I can't justify the cost. Inverter technology and square wave output really make it easy nowadays.

Rob

All this talk about welders got me to thinking, (dangerous thing you know) and low and behold, a phone call to a guy referred to another, referred to another, and I have a new timer board on the way for my tig machine. Should have it the day after tomorrow. Getting excited to have this jewel working again as it's supposed to.

Rob

Damned thing had several holes rotted through under the retaining strap.

Rob

Had a tank on a pickup do the same thing. Once it was fixed I put it back in but used strips of old tire tube between the strap and tank.

I'm laughing at the fact that Rob is still having fuel related problems,,no fuel,,tanks that won't hold fuel,,etc. :loldude::tease::loldude::tease:

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I have a hobart 145 mig that I have always used flux core and a hobart ac/dc stick. I have used other migs with and without gas, I have found the hobart 145 by far the easist to use. It did come with the regulator but have never got a bottle. I know what some will say about welding body panels with fluxcore but I have obtained good results with the welder with tacking and welding, I wire brush the tack/welds and typically weld with a wet rag in one hand and keep everything cool. I have also used it to fab up pressure tanks and stuff with good results and no leaks.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I have a hobart 145 mig that I have always used flux core and a hobart ac/dc stick. I have used other migs with and without gas, I have found the hobart 145 by far the easist to use. It did come with the regulator but have never got a bottle. I know what some will say about welding body panels with fluxcore but I have obtained good results with the welder with tacking and welding, I wire brush the tack/welds and typically weld with a wet rag in one hand and keep everything cool. I have also used it to fab up pressure tanks and stuff with good results and no leaks.

I had a Hobart "Beta-Mig", a couple of them through the years actually. One was a 145, the other a 200. Liked them both but parts got to be expensive for the smaller one, (and scarce) while the large machine really was too large to be much mobile. I'd ran flux cored through both of them without any issue. The 200 was great at welding pipe and out of position stuff where the smaller machine did a good job on sheet metal and lt. truck frames with proper prep. I traded both machines in on new ones several years ago and haven't had any regrets or problems.

It's all in what you get used to but I still prefer stick if the welding is to be done outside.

Rob

This thread got me to thinking about my tig machine again. It's been broke so long I'd pretty much wrote it off......

Called Lincoln support again, (they are great) and one of the guys says to "try this guy" as he repaired welders for years. I give him a call and guess what? He has a couple of the obsolete timer boards I need! I'm thinking; "I sure hope I get a kiss with this one", but much to my surprise he asks if $25.00 is fair? I said more than fair and he shipped the board and I sent him a check for $30.00 on Monday. The board arrived today factory new and I installed it. Worked so well I reinstalled the side panels for the welder after blowing it out as it's been sitting there for about three years.

Think tomorrow I'm gonna test it out to see if all is back to working normally of which it should be.

Rob

Don't cha just love it when something falls in your lap like that?? Makes you just smile

This was really a nice deal. I like those guys in Cleveland. They have always been willing to help on their older machines and know what they are talking about. Miller on the other hand is a night and day difference.

Rob

I would get back on the horn and get the second board winging its way home for future use?

Done did at the same time.

Spares are good and as hard as this one was to come across, I wasn't taking any chances. The original board blew the solder runs clear off the board when it surrendered.

Rob