Here's Hopin'

HeavyGunner

Wait till power washer guys, with three of those things and other equipment on a trailer behind a pickup, find out they need a class A and a tank endorsement.

Not to me mean or anything, but some of those guys, maybe all of those guys out there with 350's or 3500's up to 5500's now pullung trailers with smaller backhoes or tractor are over weight and should have a cdl, I don't understand why they don't get bothered. The worste is the 45' motor home with the 40 foot enclosed, car,lawn furniture 4 wheeler,barbecue,satelite,helicopter,motorcycle trailer on behind. Maine is full of those in the summer. You can go to the dealer, jump out of your Ford Focus and take off, no special test or licence.
  • Like 1

Not to me mean or anything, but some of those guys, maybe all of those guys out there with 350's or 3500's up to 5500's now pullung trailers with smaller backhoes or tractor are over weight and should have a cdl, I don't understand why they don't get bothered. The worste is the 45' motor home with the 40 foot enclosed, car,lawn furniture 4 wheeler,barbecue,satelite,helicopter,motorcycle trailer on behind. Maine is full of those in the summer. You can go to the dealer, jump out of your Ford Focus and take off, no special test or licence.

In MT if you are driving a commercial 1 ton vehicle you have to get a cdl, I think its a class d. And I agree 110% about rv'ers, hell they can even license a tractor as an RV and not need a CDL. What a load of crap, I do remember traveling on a secondary highway in Nebraska with a load of cows and the speed limit signs stated rv's, pickups pulling trailers were limited to 50mph while trucks were 65 or 70. It was satisfying to be able to pass all the geezers in their motor homes with the white knuckle grip 'cause a truck was passing them.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

You're right about that. You see pickups around here all the time loaded so heavy with firewood or something that the rear bumper's almost dragging the road- ok, i've done it myself when I burned wood- and the vehicle is barely controllable, but nobody ever bothers them. But try pulling up on the Va. scales 100 lbs. overweight and you're gonna get a ticket, and 100 lbs. is nothing, not even noticable.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The D.O.T. around here keeps an eye on all vehicles towing trailers. There were some accidents over the period of a few years where trailers broke loose from smaller trucks and did some damage. In one incident, chipper that was being towed by a pickup got loose and killed a father and 2 of his triplet daughters.

RV'ers not having to have any formal training is absolutely ridiculous. Another one that annoys the heck out of me are the 1-ton's with trailers flying down the road at 75 mph with their front wheels practically off the ground. Then they seem to forget what's behind them when changing lanes.

Jim

I can't tell you how many trailers I've seen in the ditch. and they are like omg what happened. Just yesterday while looking for an Atm I saw a big motorcoach get hung up going into a gas station. Had the ass end on the ground,Big wrecker out there,5 cops it was great. I got a good chuckle.

When my dad got his trailer I told him since he is using my truck. I do not want him going over 60/65. He has driven trucks but A. this is not a 1 ton, B. I don't have anti sway bars on it, and C. It is not a gooseneck trailer with better control. The truck is insured but my dad is not and don't want anything happening because he has a heavy foot. The pickup can handle it but a 16' enclosed trailer catches alot of wind broad side. Still haven't been home to see it yet. But I hear it drags it down the road with little effort

Historically around here the DO-RIGHT DOT boys were very lenient towards farmers, no matter what they are driving, grain truck, one ton, old tractor or whatever. But anymore the problems from RV'ers, contractors, wood haulers on the weekend, and guys that just are not as used to driving a truck are causing them to crack down on everyone.

Also adding to the problem is the rise in the size/horsepower of pickups and the 24,000 pound rated tandem dual gooseneck trailers everyone thinks they need. That is just a lot of weight flying down the road and bypassing the scale house. And look how much larger the average camper trailer or RV is now.

There are a ton of rv trailers for sale right now in MT because of the oil field work and I saw a 45 ft 5 th wheel for sale. Could you imagine pulling that with a pickup? I wouldnt want to, I have a 29 ft 5th wheel and it pulls really nice but thats all I would want behind my pickup. Maybe when I get my B model goin' I will pull my trailer and boat!

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

There are a ton of rv trailers for sale right now in MT because of the oil field work

HG - I just sold a crane truck to a guy moving to MT to open a scale business. I bet the crane is to load and unload the weights when he tests the scales. That oil field work leads to a lot of other good support jobs as well - drill baby drill!

Man it is crazy as hell up there. Expensive to. Forget finding parking there unless your real early or just lucky. Last time I delivered there I was able to stay at the customers. Or it would of been interesting

I got my letter from the TSA today, exactly one week after being fingerprinted. First I questioned the necessity of repeating the process every four years, now I wonder how they are able to do it so quickly.

What is it about dealing with the Federal Government that makes me so suspicious?

Jim

I got my letter from the TSA today, exactly one week after being fingerprinted. First I questioned the necessity of repeating the process every four years, now I wonder how they are able to do it so quickly.

What is it about dealing with the Federal Government that makes me so suspicious?

They ARE out to get you.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The D.O.T. around here keeps an eye on all vehicles towing trailers. There were some accidents over the period of a few years where trailers broke loose from smaller trucks and did some damage. In one incident, chipper that was being towed by a pickup got loose and killed a father and 2 of his triplet daughters.

RV'ers not having to have any formal training is absolutely ridiculous. Another one that annoys the heck out of me are the 1-ton's with trailers flying down the road at 75 mph with their front wheels practically off the ground. Then they seem to forget what's behind them when changing lanes.

The state's "motor carrier enforcement" and local "truck task forces" stop anything over a 3/4 ton pickup around here to check for weight class and safety violations. I just took and passed my state inspection license for heavy trucks and you wouldn't believe the stuff that inspection stations do NOT have to look for a commercial vehicle to pass a annual state inspection. For example you can pass a truck without a fire extinguisher, road flares or fusees, and circuit breakers or fuses because it's not in the "vehicle inspection code" but say the driver leaves your shop and gets into a safety check they will write him up for it. A pre-trip is more involved than compared to an offical annual state inspection.

Last fall at the local dirt track they had the state police in the sitting outside pit road when a lot of the car haulers were pulling in. Most all of them have either toter-homes with race trailers or older "retired" tractors pulling their race trailers. Most all were registered as "motorhome" They still cited and wrote up guys for not having CDL due to the weight of the combination. Its such a freakin gray area and has been since since CDLs came about 20 years ago. Firemen don't have to have a CDL to drive a pumper at a higher rate of speed to a fire. All they have to have is a letter signed by the cheif saying they safe to drive.

I am going to be sick now.

On the contrary, the little thingy in the corner says you like it. Be careful what your thinking when you post, BMT can sense strong emotions.

I just learned that your eyes can in fact bleed. I think I need to see a doctor now.

Your all just jealous 'cause I'm hittin that every night. :wub:

I only liked your posts because you included the photo.

Jim

Dammit, the Missus was right. I'll have to stop accusing her of being paranoid..

TinFoilHat.gif

Lushious

Wouldn't you just love to catch her "sweat drips"?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.