Price Range For A Used/rebuilt Or New Diff?

Howdy y'all I am looking for price's for a used or new or rebuilt front diff for my old 85' R686ST. The Helical pinion gear died today after a long and happy life, parts of it are all over the top section. I will do some calling around this weekend and see whats out there for a replacement. Just trying to get a ball park figure so I dont get raped by some sordid characters in the parts trucking industry.

Remember to take the ratio off the flat spot off the front lh side this will aid in your search.

The most comon failure o 4:17 - 4:42 ratio is the top gear set the spur pinion rarely fails but it does happen from time to time!

Usually the clamp plates back off!

Edited by fjh

I picked up a set of 4:17 for $450.00 from a truck wrecking yard in Idaho (Holts). I also got a Mack two speed complete housing (5:XX and 7:XX) front loader in New Jersey for $500.00.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Packer;

Is that 2 speed the one in your '48? I was wondering what gearing that one had...

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

The last Re Man rear I bought was from Weller Truck parts, if I remember correctly it was around $1600.00 with a one year warranty. That was for a CRD 93 @ 5.73 ratio.

They delivered it right to my shop within 24 hours of my order.

Certainly a junk yard take out will be much cheaper, but there's no warranty, and who knows how it was abused previous to the truck being scrapped.

Also, you can waste a lot of time searching and running to junkyards etc. When a truck is down, time is money. Having the correct unit delivered within 24 hours gets you back to work a lot faster.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

HK,

You have an excellent point on broken trucks and down time!!!

My trucks are toys and not for work. If I had to get one up and on the road, my way would cost more than I might save in 'Junk Yard' parts!

Before running, all the parts, bumper to bumper, will have been checked and rebuilt.

Speed,

That is the gear ratios of my 2-speed. It is electric. I think that you mentioned that you had a vaccum shift rounded up, and wanted to convert to electric. The last 12 volt shift unit I bought was $50.00/$60.00 and that was some time ago. The rebuild kit a month ago, with some discount, was $48.00.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

At least these can be converted;the last old GM 2 speed I had,if there ever was a conversion available,nobody I've asked has any idea where to even look for one. I just assumed your 2 speed was a vacuum or cable shift. Electric's the way to go.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

I decided to go with a rebuilt pig for $1,895 out the door, thats with all new guts with a one year warr. Its either that or some used unknown pig, or more lost revenue from down time.

I think this decision is prudent if one makes there living with their equipment.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 1 month later...

Well the new diff CRDPC92 died today the ring gear lost a tooth with only 1,674 Miles on it hauling asphalt. It only took me 3 hours to yank it out this time. I will see if they stand behind there warranty. Any comments on what could cause a supposedly new ring and pinion gear set to fail would be appreciated. I am thinking the power divider was set up wrong perhaps.

I think it might be the ULSD causing a huge power increase and blowing the diff apart!! :lol: