This is my style:

Rob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=330671463452&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Too bad I'm no longer in the business that would use this type of truck. They sure are handy but limited to haul trucks with.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

ya but would make a good truck to haul a small dozer or backhoe with . ;)

:mack1:

I hauled a couple of backhoes on one of my trucks. The deck is a bit short on this one at 24' to stay below height with acceptable "stick out". My 30' carrier worked alright with a Case 580 on the deck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have been watching that truck since the last time it was on ebay. I had that same bed on a Paystar and moved a lot of machinery with it. I wish I still had it.

My worry with this one is the "rubber" bed. I don't think my machinery dollies and skates would do real good on that floor.

I have been watching that truck since the last time it was on ebay. I had that same bed on a Paystar and moved a lot of machinery with it. I wish I still had it.

My worry with this one is the "rubber" bed. I don't think my machinery dollies and skates would do real good on that floor.

I don't see a subframe for the slideback. Is this bed a cantilever style that flops over center for the incline? All four or my carriers had the subframe but they were different than this.

Rubber beds are great for rubber tired, or tracked machines. Nothing sharp, or needing dragged works as they destroy easily with this type use.

Rob

yeah that looks like a Gravity style bed. Nothing easy about being easy on something that you don't want slamming down either side

Yeah, they wouldn't let you haul cars out of Chicago with those. They really slam hard sometimes.

Rob

The advantage I liked about these beds was that with a real heavy press, you would never have the front end of the truck come off the ground! I really liked the one I had, simple to maintain. Once you got used to how the bed worked, you got to where you knew how to use the rear outrigger to raise and lower the front of the bed as needed, you just had to think about it as being backwards from a normal rollback with the tilt cylinders in the front.

But it was a deal where you had better not let just anyone borrow it or get their hands on the controls to "help" you out. There is nothing more embarassing than being at an auction rigging machinery and have someone unexperienced flop that bed down with a slam onto the truck frame!

The advantage I liked about these beds was that with a real heavy press, you would never have the front end of the truck come off the ground! I really liked the one I had, simple to maintain. Once you got used to how the bed worked, you got to where you knew how to use the rear outrigger to raise and lower the front of the bed as needed, you just had to think about it as being backwards from a normal rollback with the tilt cylinders in the front.

But it was a deal where you had better not let just anyone borrow it or get their hands on the controls to "help" you out. There is nothing more embarassing than being at an auction rigging machinery and have someone unexperienced flop that bed down with a slam onto the truck frame!

I always used the wheel lift or stinger to do the same. With my trucks you could throw a 6X6 on the ground, run the wheel lift down on top of it and change the rear tires. It was strong enough to lift the rear of the truck clear of the ground with two cars on the deck and really stable to load. One truck has independent "stiff legs" that were hydraulic powered and was great for dragging something up on unlevel ground.

Through the years I seen a lot of those smaller japanese trucks with broken frames behind the cab from slamming down no matter if it was a small dump, or carrier. The stress point is always a few inches rearward from the cab.

Rob

I also had a shorter bed just like this on a Isuzu 33,000 GVW cabover truck. That was the handiest truck I ever had for driving around inside of buildings. But it was a 1987 year truck and it just got to where it was like pulling teeth to get parts to keep it up.

The best rollback I ever had was on a different Paystar. It was a 1979 with a 350 Cummins and had been bought new by a local John Deere dealer to haul farm machinery on. It had a 30 foot machinery bed with a three foot hydraulic tail. We removed the restriction fitting from the hydraulic lines going to the tail. You could unload junk cars and then take the tail and "flip" them backwards and they would really roll out of the way! I sold it to a guy in North Carolina, and I have seen it reappear on ebay a couple of times - I bet it is still hauling.

I also had a shorter bed just like this on a Isuzu 33,000 GVW cabover truck. That was the handiest truck I ever had for driving around inside of buildings. But it was a 1987 year truck and it just got to where it was like pulling teeth to get parts to keep it up.

The best rollback I ever had was on a different Paystar. It was a 1979 with a 350 Cummins and had been bought new by a local John Deere dealer to haul farm machinery on. It had a 30 foot machinery bed with a three foot hydraulic tail. We removed the restriction fitting from the hydraulic lines going to the tail. You could unload junk cars and then take the tail and "flip" them backwards and they would really roll out of the way! I sold it to a guy in North Carolina, and I have seen it reappear on ebay a couple of times - I bet it is still hauling.

I had one of those Chevy branded Isuzu trucks for "city work". This came with a business I purchased and was less than a year old. I didn't stay in the market long enough to trend, or really evaluate it's usage before selling the business complete. They sure seemed to die out in service quickly around here.

Rob

My 85 R model is a roll-off and have many beds and boxes. the one that works the best is the flat bed. You can drop it ground level, push, drive or pull the load on with the winch line, lash it down then load and go. I have used it many times and moved just about everything you could imagine. One time I had a sawdust cyclone , 16 + ft off the ground and had to get under railroad bridge i droped the bed on the ground draged it thru (has rollers on it) loaded up and away I went. Moved a Freightliner fld 120 but the tree branches boogered up the trumphets a little but works slick. Best one is Thanksgiving eve about 5 years ago now I moved a Austin Western 6 wheel awd motor grader with snow wing, loaded backwards the mouldboard was at the end of the bed and the front axle hanging off but was able to lower the front. Again 16 ++ ft at the wing tower, had to go about 7 miles to the yard so off I go weaving under mostly phone wires but the one that was draging from the wing tower when the Local cops caught up with me 2 miles up the road, ( i am doing this solo) was from the local convience store ( took out the lottery machine) a big wire. Local PD calls State Police, he says to them if he got his papers let him go. Local says why don't you park over there for the night and get a trailer, I nod my head. Waited 10-15 mins. then I wiggled my way home. The roll-off is a good setup and this one of my favoite old dogs.

What I find the axle loading with rollbacks isn't good, the rolloff is right on spec. I have seen 2 axle rollbacks loaded you could not steer.

One more thing the police only got me because the car behind me called them and said a truck is dragging something, damn cell phones.

FW

I was taking a real close look at this thing too, and I always liked the Jerr Dan style body, not muck to go wrong with it, but the only drawback I see is that the DM chassis is pretty high to begin with, plus the heavy Jerr Dan body, height will be a problem with a lot of stuff. Seems like the price is right, condition is decent. Can't hardly go wrong with a 300 whistler, about as close to bullet proof as it gets.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

I was taking a real close look at this thing too, and I always liked the Jerr Dan style body, not muck to go wrong with it, but the only drawback I see is that the DM chassis is pretty high to begin with, plus the heavy Jerr Dan body, height will be a problem with a lot of stuff. Seems like the price is right, condition is decent. Can't hardly go wrong with a 300 whistler, about as close to bullet proof as it gets.

I would have already bought it if it was not for the rubber bed. You won't find one cheaper if it runs out good.

I bought three new "Jerr-Dan" four car aluminum car haulers through the 90's and they were all good beds with great service if needed, (seldom). I also purchased two new "No_Mar" steel beds for local use and they with the exception of being very heavy, were great in durability. The steel beds deteriorated much too quickly for my taste however in the Illinois salt. Hauling predominantly wrecked cars on contract I never ran into height issues but implements were always stretching the luck. Knowing a full 90% of the cops around here I'm quite certain helped me along the way and I never really catered to the industrial side of hauling.

This truck is definately too high in empty stature to be of a lot of use for anything over about eight tall. Quite a bargain if you can use it. I've thought many times of Neil's mention with the flatbed that rolls, or slides off the chassis. A nice "hooklift" would be easy to have and use with the truck serving more than one function.

Rob

A nice "hooklift" would be easy to have and use with the truck serving more than one function.

For quite a while we used a Paystar corn binder with the hook style lift to carry our various command modules, tech rescue shoring, and haz mat stuff. Basically they were an RV/Office made on a dumpster style chassis that the truck could lift up and transport. You're right; it's a great way to have one truck fill a lot of different roles.

We auctioned it off a few years ago and I'm sure someone got a helluva buy. It only had around 10k miles even though it was around 20 years old.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!