Gravel truck loaded vs empty

unclebilly

When my truck is empty, the steering wheel is straight as I go down the highway. When the. Truck is loaded, it. Is. At about 1:00 when I go down the highway.

My throught is that I might have a mismatched air bag - what are your thoughts?

Is this something I need to worry about? There is no play in the steering and the truck was recently cvip'd. The truck does not pull to the left.

As the front springs compress, to a degree you will see the same effect as lengthening the drag link. Normally not enough to pull the steering off center. Gravel trucks usually do not have air bags, but rather a spring suspension set up for heavy loads. Just for a quick check, take a tape measure, and on a hard level surface measure the height of the front bumper, empty, then loaded. If there is a big difference start looking at springs.

As the front springs compress, to a degree you will see the same effect as lengthening the drag link. Normally not enough to pull the steering off center. Gravel trucks usually do not have air bags, but rather a spring suspension set up for heavy loads. Just for a quick check, take a tape measure, and on a hard level surface measure the height of the front bumper, empty, then loaded. If there is a big difference start looking at springs.

The old IH dump truck at the shop is an old road tractor with air ride, and it's terrifying to drive on the road with a load of gravel. You've got that constant feeling of "i'm turning overrrrrr...."

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The old IH dump truck at the shop is an old road tractor with air ride, and it's terrifying to drive on the road with a load of gravel. You've got that constant feeling of "i'm turning overrrrrr...."

We have a 97 KW T800 converted to a straight truck and the first time I drove it it felt like a tippy waterbed on wheels. A little research and I found a kit called Timbren (I think its how you spell it) and it made all the difference in the world. I think it was $1700 installed if memory serves me correctly.

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

if the rears are out of alignment with the front it will tend to push the rear of truck outward and then you have to compensate with steering. when empty it may not feel as bad. could also be the alignment of the draglink, ackerman, steering box. As Bollweevil mentioned.. the truck sags when loaded and this will push the draglink forward or backwards thus moving the steering wheel. Most times this is only noticed when very heavy as it needs alot of sag to notice the wheel position move.