Tranny Question:

Rob

Both of my RL797LST trucks have Mack TRDL-107 transmissions. These are air shift direct in high gear transmissions. I would like to convert them to overdrive if possible. One truck has 4.10 Rockwell drive axles on SQHD suspension, the other 4.17 ratio, 38,000# Camelback suspension. Both trucks being ENDT 866 V8 engines, turn about 2800 rpm and will run 70+ mph. I'd like to lessen the rpm in high gear for a little better economy.

Are parts still available for these Mack transmissions? What all is required to do this as far as parts?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

maybe taller tires would be a better/easier way to go.

Couldn't deal with that red oval thing.

I certainly wouldn't want to attempt 70 mph with those tires cause when they come apart at high speed, it ain't pretty.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

but you wouldn't have to worry about getting stuck in the corn field.

One of my customers owns a fertilizer plant and has the "Terra Pro" tires on service and spreader trucks. When those tires are run much over 40mph, they don't hold together well. When they blow, it usually takes a fender, or hood with it cause they always come apart before you can get stopped.

Rob

I had a set of those on an old lime truck - worked good until the first blowout going down the road at only 40 mph with way too much lime on. Tore up the whole side of the cab and I sucked the seat clear up into my stomach before I got it shut down in the ditch on the wrong side of the road.

I went and priced new ones - it was cheaper to buy a whole different lime truck than replace the tires - ouch!

I had a set of those on an old lime truck - worked good until the first blowout going down the road at only 40 mph with way too much lime on. Tore up the whole side of the cab and I sucked the seat clear up into my stomach before I got it shut down in the ditch on the wrong side of the road.

I went and priced new ones - it was cheaper to buy a whole different lime truck than replace the tires - ouch!

Yes they are dangerous. I've righted two of his trucks after blowouts, then repaired one with a new hood and door. The other was too far gone to be worth repairing.

Rob

You need to find a TRT1070 12 spd. They are about 12% overdrive, I had one in a DM with 4.17 rears, would run 65 mph at about 1600 rpms. terry

Hi Terry, been looking for a TRTXL 1070 without luck for a couple of years. The ones I find are much too expensive for me.

Thanks,

Rob