R Model Headliner Replacement

I need to replace a headliner in the R Model and wondering if anyone else has experience doing this.

The vinyl seems to be fine (not sure if it can be re-used though), but the cardboard backing is sagging from a water leak. Have done some research and finding people using ABS plastic sheet to form headliners from scratch in old pick-up trks.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

The "cardboard" backing you refer to is called either "oilboard", or "cowl board". It is available in many different levels of quality, and thickness. If one is careful you can separate the foam, or polyester filler that is glued to the backside of the vinyl, and then the board, but most times the vinyl is deformed from age and will not look correct when reapplied.

ABS sheeting is available from a good many suppliers but can get expensive. This will need to be formed with heat and this is where it gets tricky. Using a heat gun I've seen a lot of guys physically burn the surface of the plastic before it will be softened enough to form. This can destroy the finished product. It also needs to be retained in postition until is hardens to not move.

I have saved, and repaired a single piece plastic headliner from an R model to use to pattern a mould and reproduce these things, but haven't had time to move forward with the project.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Mine fell out due to water leaks from the light bar, siren, horns, etc. I went to Lowes Home Improvement and got a 4x8 sheet of the food grade white vinyl used on kitchen walls. Cut it and it looks great. Easy to clean with a wet rag. I will have to get photo for you.

Edited by cf685f

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm hoping I'll be able to remove and re-use the original material so the color matches the rest of the interior. I don't think the vinyl is too stretched or deformed, but that might change by the time I get done removing it.

Checked on the plastic, and like Rob already said, it is quite pricey. Will look for the board and go from there.

Hopefully things will go well and have some pics to share.

Thanks,

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

I did remove the vinyl w/ the foam intact. Also found cowl board. So, will see if I can make something out of it.

You did better than most.

To reinstall use vinyl top adhesive from an auto parts store paint vendor, the more expensive product by 3M "Super Trim Adhesive", or as I do, "yella snot" for rubber roof installs on a house. These products will take the heat generated in the cab during the summer months. Regular contact cement will not.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 5 months later...

I bought 3 sheets at National Fabric Co Inc 901 S 7th St Kansas City, KS 66105 (913) 281-1833 had all diffrent flavors mine were 39 x 65 was $7 per sheet waterproof Also dug in the rements and came up with enough material to do the head liner and seats, total for everything was just under $50.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."