Spindle sizes

leversole

According to the service manual I have, all of the FA-5** series axles use the Type III spindle...would it be safe to assume that the wheel hubs from any FA-5** series are interchangeable? That is the bearing sizes, hub length, etc?

Thanks

How old is your manual? Mine shows three different types used. What axle do you have?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You trying to get budd hubs? You have the same axle as me, and Barry and I went round and round years ago with a few people trying to see what hubs crossed over. I gave up, I have all the bearing sizes and spacing wrote down. 10 years and still looking.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Not budds...gonna stay with Daytons as I like the look...once I prove that my bounce issue is not the tires or drums, the only thing to do next is get some wheels...was gonna look at the 4 trucks in the scrap yard in scranton but they are all 20" ...I neeed 22's...

You trying to get budd hubs? You have the same axle as me, and Barry and I went round and round years ago with a few people trying to see what hubs crossed over. I gave up, I have all the bearing sizes and spacing wrote down. 10 years and still looking.

If you post it I would love to have that info. When I redid the rear brakes I found a cracked spoke on mine. Hard telling how long its been that way because I didnt see it until hour six with the pressure washer and oven cleaner!

Here is what I have: FA517

front axle number: 3qhf 414bp 3qh4

6 lug with 5/8" studs

16 1/2" x 4" brakes

bearing spacing 3.000

outer race #522 (od 4.000)

outer bearing #526 (id 1.625)

inner race #552 (od 4.875)

inner bearing #559 (id 2.500)

Seal number c/r 503295

brake drum number 17qj3162b

g630-2

b206

brake drum secured with 5/8" bolts on 12 3/4" bolt circle

• Like 1

Larry

ya,,,i would like to go to 5 spoke oil type bearings,,but wouldnt know where to start,,i suppose thiers a buncha differant ones urg!!!!!!...bob

There are oil, and grease seals. You can use oil seals with grease packed bearings but not the other way around. Of couse when using oil in the hubs you need oil hubcaps such as Stemco style.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There are oil, and grease seals. You can use oil seals with grease packed bearings but not the other way around. Of couse when using oil in the hubs you need oil hubcaps such as Stemco style.

Rob

ah,,,thanks man,,but what i was looking for was to change to updated version of dayton hub,,,guess id probably have to start getting no,s rite???bob

I don't think I actually changed it when I had it apart 10 yrs ago? Just wrote the number down. I did the king pins, cleaned everything up, freed up the frozen brakes(been unhooked for years) and cleaned bearings. Don't really recall what I did with seals? Been a long time.

Larry

I don't think I actually changed it when I had it apart 10 yrs ago? Just wrote the number down. I did the king pins, cleaned everything up, freed up the frozen brakes(been unhooked for years) and cleaned bearings. Don't really recall what I did with seals? Been a long time.

I had to go with Stemco seals as we couldn't cross over to CR on my FA-517 axle. I also replaced the wear ring and they were over a hundred and a quarter per side.

Rob

Luckily, my wear rings look perfect! DO you have the stemco part number? I dont want to take it apart again till I have the seal or I would measure everything...

They are still in the boxes at the shop. I'll be out there in the morning and will relay later in the day.

Rob

The Stemco part number for the front wheel kit including inner oil seal, and wear ring is: 382-8011. The wear ring is Stemco 310-1051. The oil seal is Stemco 320-2031. These numbers are conversions from the former numbers of the Stemco seals that were installed originally, and are discontinued. I have oil hubs on the B67 these are for with an FA-517 axle. Hope they help you out.

Rob

Thanks Rob...I stuck my head up the Stemco site's skirt and could find no cross match for the number that Larry gave...

Works better if you move your face side to side really fast........

Rob

The Stemco part number for the front wheel kit including inner oil seal, and wear ring is: 382-8011. The wear ring is Stemco 310-1051. The oil seal is Stemco 320-2031. These numbers are conversions from the former numbers of the Stemco seals that were installed originally, and are discontinued. I have oil hubs on the B67 these are for with an FA-517 axle. Hope they help you out.

Rob

Thanks Rob!