R model fuel tanks

When I was almost home from Ocala my left fuel tank started leaking. mMade the last 55 miles home. The top seam was split in a few sections and the Farmer I bought the truck from had a truck shop in Riverhead repair it. The never welded it they used J B Weld on it!

My question is the tanks I have are are 58 gallon each, I located a pair of 110 gallon R model tanks for $450.00 for the pair. Both the 58 gal tanks and the 110 gal tanks are 25" dia.. I would think all I need to do is relocate the rear tank brackets. Right?? The senders , line and caps are all in the same areas. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Remember to carry more moolah with you to fill them up

When I cross in to Jersey I pay almost a buck less for fuel! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Do your tanks have the recesses pressed into the end bells on both ends? Most times with this type setup the rear support is also holds the rear support for the cab. If the strap type you can get by where it is but is best to move the strap to the rear if possible.

Either way the tanks will fit provided they don't interfere with other underpinnings of the truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Is the tank past repairing?

Rob, conventional strap and bracket mount on the rear and no chassis interference aside from moving a harness. The cab has air ride and not the wide combo mount.

Bullhusk, the tank is repairable, take a few hours to prep and TIG up. It needs about a foot of weld. But I'd rather have the longer legs I get from the larger tanks. Makes the trips to Va and Florida easier with 1/2 the fuel stops. Paul

As for the J B Weld, probably would have worked if they prepped the surface instead of making it look like a weld.

P.T.CHESHIRE

I figured on the exhaust. I was wondering about a third strap, figured I'd look at a few of the sand haulers tomorrow. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

My exhaust it already runs like that and my bed lift cylinders clear by 14+ inches. I ordered the tanks and added the 2 brackets are included for only $25 more. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Got my tanks and brackets today, delievery by UPS no less! The have a 175 lb limit on items. Took a pic of the UPS guy with the first tank on the hand truck with the UPS label on the bare tank. Can't figure how to up load the from my new phone til my grand son gets here. It's got a "Touch Scream". I touch the screen and and scream couse my fingers are to big. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Would have worked if they prepared the tank for it. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

Tanks are on and no leaks. Fueled up ($$$$$) and off to Va. on thursday with it. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE