1987 GMC Brigadier - Some good, some bad, all ugly

Olivetroad

I went to the auto auction Friday to get Momma a four wheel drive SUV for winter and I came home with this:

post-6658-0-75222500-1321751276_thumb.jp post-6658-0-06198000-1321751294_thumb.jp

The good:

New tires

post-6658-0-56672200-1321751847_thumb.jp

Big winch (please note coffee cup made the ride home)

post-6658-0-29378500-1321751927_thumb.jp

Last driver left gloves

post-6658-0-16694600-1321751992_thumb.jp

Tilt wheel

post-6658-0-20815600-1321752255_thumb.jp

Free railroad tie - BRAND NEW ONE!

My cows won't know how to act with a NEW railroad tie used as a fence brace post.

post-6658-0-83358000-1321752380_thumb.jp

THE BAD:

Rats nest of wiring/air lines - lots of "field expedient repairs"

post-6658-0-24940900-1321752593_thumb.jp

Empty case of transmission fluid - not a good sign

post-6658-0-95037700-1321752670_thumb.jp

Starting fluid under the seat - not a good sign

post-6658-0-42023700-1321752731_thumb.jp

Interior dirty - it was real necessary to put the paper floor mat down to keep clean

post-6658-0-07320300-1321752839_thumb.jp

The Ugly:

Detroit Diesel - screams and screams - Note 9 year old boy tromping on the foot feed

post-6658-0-08244000-1321753090_thumb.jppost-6658-0-83578800-1321753105_thumb.jp

The whole thing is just butt ugly! I bet it was ugly when new. The railroad wheels don't help the overall look any

post-6658-0-49278300-1321753195_thumb.jp

Truck has six cylinder Detroit diesel - is that a 671? I think three feet of it is up in the cab between the seats.

It also has a five speed automatic - never thought they offered that in 1987.

I made my 16 year old son drive it, I thought it may be his only chance to drive one with a Jimmy diesel. What an honor!

Yup, that is a venerable old 6-71 Detroit Diesel. Pretty good engine really, just loud. Those always were a brute for a work truck; uncomfortable, loud, usually leaked water, (given that engine, leaking oil is a given) but they always got the job done asked of it. Crowded cab with the engine sharing the space.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

You can probably either find a use for the railroad wheels &etc. or scrap 'em and get some of your purchase price back. That truck will be a hard worker for you. Even when you flog 'em to death,they'll keep working. My best friend used to say that to drive something with a Dee-troit in it,it's necessary to get in the proper frame of mind;he suggested slamming your hand in the door....

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

Bob - I lucked out and also found my blushing bride this little Ford Escape which smoothed her over and she forgot about the Jimmy diesel. It is neat as a pin and drives like a new one and she is very pleased with it.

I have to confess that I did somehow neglect to tell her that it came from the same railroad the Jimmy did and it has 283,000 miles.

Somehow when she got it, the digital dash was stuck on the trip meter and she can't figure out how to switch it to the odometer to find out how many miles it has and I am refusing to help.

Please don't call her and help her figure out how to toggle it over!

post-6658-0-22823100-1322319665_thumb.jp

Bob - I lucked out and also found my blushing bride this little Ford Escape which smoothed her over and she forgot about the Jimmy diesel. It is neat as a pin and drives like a new one and she is very pleased with it.

I have to confess that I did somehow neglect to tell her that it came from the same railroad the Jimmy did and it has 283,000 miles.

Somehow when she got it, the digital dash was stuck on the trip meter and she can't figure out how to switch it to the odometer to find out how many miles it has and I am refusing to help.

Please don't call her and help her figure out how to toggle it over!

post-6658-0-22823100-1322319665_thumb.jp

I like it!.. the Jimmy that is. And if the Ford gives her any trouble, you could let her drive the screaming Jimmy this winter. You could even get her some chains for Christmas, put a plow on it for her, she'd be unstoppable!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 2 weeks later...

I Like it too . But im partial to a Jimmy . We ran GMC Brigadier ,General , 9500 & a k3500 4wd. in the family excavating business along side of our R DM & B Model :clock_logo: 1 Thing i love to hear was the 2 671 (238) Screamin Jimmy Detroit Diesel 's LOPE On a cold winter morning till they warmed up. & i knew when that 74' S/A 9500 Lowboy & 85' Triaxle Brigadier was coming back to the Farm or the excavating job you hear those ole 238's screaming over a D6D LGP Dozer we had . ;) ANIT NOTHING GONNA DUPLICATE THE SOUND OF A 238! :D

The 83' General we had had a NTC 400 BC Cummins in it .

MY Family always said The ole GMC 9500 Brigadier & General was a good dependable cheap work truck . maybe thats why im partial to a 9500 Brigadier & General to this day . B)

Later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

I Like it too . But im partial to a Jimmy . We ran GMC Brigadier ,General , 9500 & a k3500 4wd. in the family excavating business along side of our R DM & B Model :clock_logo: 1 Thing i love to hear was the 2 671 (238) Screamin Jimmy Detroit Diesel 's LOPE On a cold winter morning till they warmed up. & i knew when that 74' S/A 9500 Lowboy & 85' Triaxle Brigadier was coming back to the Farm or the excavating job you hear those ole 238's screaming over a D6D LGP Dozer we had . ;) ANIT NOTHING GONNA DUPLICATE THE SOUND OF A 238! :D

The 83' General we had had a NTC 400 BC Cummins in it .

MY Family always said The ole GMC 9500 Brigadier & General was a good dependable cheap work truck . maybe thats why im partial to a 9500 Brigadier & General to this day . B)

Later

We had a Timberjack skidder with a 4-53 in it and while it was small in size, it more than made up for it in noise level! I remember it too sounded good when first fired up on a winter day. It got to leaking fuel from a line under the valve cover - the oil level would go UP when we checked it at noon. I got a quick education on the detroit fuel system. I like any engine that has access covers on the side of the block - it just looks old school!

• Like 1

We had a Timberjack skidder with a 4-53 in it and while it was small in size, it more than made up for it in noise level! I remember it too sounded good when first fired up on a winter day. It got to leaking fuel from a line under the valve cover - the oil level would go UP when we checked it at noon. I got a quick education on the detroit fuel system. I like any engine that has access covers on the side of the block - it just looks old school!

I Had a 85' 3/4 ton Chevy pick up i bought it when i was 15 yrs old ran it 2 weeks the 350 locked up (my dads buddy who had his own car lot said the company that traded in bought in smoking & he though the motor was gonna go @ anytime so i bought the truck for $500.00 )

I Went to G&W Diesel down in Memphis they had a 453T W/ GM BELLHOUSING FRESH IN THE CRATE. I bought it put it in put 5" stright pipes on it coming out under the bed @ an angle.. I Had a 400 turbo behind it . i was gear bound @ 61mph but i hauled scrap iron , wood, w/ it when i was a teenager. then in my 20's i made a service truck out it w/ a 250 gallon diesel tank, Snap-On Road Chest tool box Kellog air compressor & wheel well box for my tire irons & 1" impact gun . That ole chevy was loaded but that lil 453 would talk carrying all that load & sounded good doing it . i owned that truck till i was 29yrs old. a man offered $8,000.00 for it ( just the truck ) i took it. wish i had it back now. that was my 1st truck i loved that ole BOWTIE IT MADE ME ALOT OF MONEY . & LOOKED & SOUNED GOOD DOING IT. ;)

Ya & thats another reason why i like a detroit is the fuel system .

Later

:mack1: aka Bulldog Man on BMT

That 453T in a pickup is what all the guys around here are trying to find. A few years ago no one wanted one! Now I am seeing everything from a old two stroke detroit to John Deere tractor engines being put in pickups. I sold a 9 speed road ranger to a guy last month that is trying to mate it with a 6V71and put it in a 1/2 ton pickup. I bet the weight of the power train will get him in deep trouble. Oh well, I also never used to listen until things started to cost me money!

• Like 1

That 453T in a pickup is what all the guys around here are trying to find. A few years ago no one wanted one! Now I am seeing everything from a old two stroke detroit to John Deere tractor engines being put in pickups. I sold a 9 speed road ranger to a guy last month that is trying to mate it with a 6V71and put it in a 1/2 ton pickup. I bet the weight of the power train will get him in deep trouble. Oh well, I also never used to listen until things started to cost me money!

id like to have a crew cab chevy with a 453 my self,..with a rto6613,...drag a dirt car a few miles on the weekends,...got a nephew that put one in a long bed 4x4,..he hooked bumpers with all his school buddys powerstrokes an cummins pic-ups an drug um till thay cryed,..an only had his front drive shaft in it!! 453 is 1300 lbs on the steer tires,..a 6v71 be 2300!! too much but theres one on youtube nicly done!

• Like 2

I've got both of these videos in my favorites in youtube. the lil GM 1TON W/ Screamin Jimmy 6v53 reminds me of our old 82' GMC Brigadier S/A Fuel/Lube Tuck . it had a 6V53 W/ A 5&2 TRANNY & pto driven air compressor to run the grease pump,Antifreeze pumps etc I Loved working w/ that ole Jimmy just cause that 6V53 Detroit.

here's a video pretty much how my 85' c-20 sounded w/ the 453t but i had an automatic in mine this GM Has a 4& 2 spd tranny behind this 453t

Later

• 1 month later...

As I suspected it might, the truck did not sell on ebay, it only brought $2950.00. So I sold the winch to a sailboat place in Maine, the railroad wheels are headed to Hagerstown Maryland, and the knuckleboom is going back to work in the oil fields of the Dakotas. Now this is what I have left:

post-6658-0-57042100-1328736638_thumb.jp

It looks more like a normal truck now, it bet it brings more without all the goodies on it than it did with them - the parts are worth more than the complete truck

As I suspected it might, the truck did not sell on ebay, it only brought $2950.00. So I sold the winch to a sailboat place in Maine, the railroad wheels are headed to Hagerstown Maryland, and the knuckleboom is going back to work in the oil fields of the Dakotas. Now this is what I have left:

post-6658-0-57042100-1328736638_thumb.jp

It looks more like a normal truck now, it bet it brings more without all the goodies on it than it did with them - the parts are worth more than the complete truck

that has real potential for a pulpwood truck now.

post-1374-0-89486500-1328740978.jpg

• Like 1

That's a lot of weight on a tandem.

Is that a pic or a video? If you stare at it long enough it appears to move, but I couldn't find the volume control. ;)

If you stare at things and they start moving after a while, whatever you do, don't tell anyone, or the guys in the white coats will come "visit"

I like to stare at the sun for several hours and then at night it feels like I have gravel in my eyes.

If you stare at things and they start moving after a while, whatever you do, don't tell anyone, or the guys in the white coats will come "visit"

I thougth I might have had Teleki...Telekine...Telekines....the ability to move stuff using mind power. Then again, I don't think I have enough mind power to move a leaf in a windstorm

I like to stare at the sun for several hours and then at night it feels like I have gravel in my eyes.

I'm always looking for the easy way out. To get the sensation of having gravel in my eyes, I would put gravel in my eyes.

Jim

that has real potential for a pulpwood truck now.

Thats ALOT of shifting w/a 2 Stroke Detroit. think id put that load on the DOG's back insted of Jimmy's back. you write the word HILL on a sheet of paper & put on the winshield of a truck w/ a 2 stroke Detroit & the truck will downshift it self . lmao. :loldude:

Thats ALOT of shifting w/a 2 Stroke Detroit. think id put that load on the DOG's back insted of Jimmy's back. you write the word HILL on a sheet of paper & put on the winshield of a truck w/ a 2 stroke Detroit & the truck will downshift it self . lmao. :loldude:

Olivetroad could handle it- it's downhill all the way to the paper mill, and down hill all the way back.