Input on "Duramax" engines:

Rob

Anybody have any input, (good and bad) on the GM products as far as engines and trans? Gotta replace the Dodge and don't really need anything new so am looking at about five years in age. Don't really like the looks of the Dodge products in this timeframe but the GMC looks appealing and they drive well. I've never pulled a load with one of these engines although have probably repaired a couple dozen that were wrecked. I have preference for an automatic transmission.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Dont buy a deisel , currently there is NO good eisel motors out there to buy unless you go pre 07 . Duramax id stay away from , allison trans is a watered down allison , nothing like you think of in a medium duty truck . I do towing for a living , seems duramax is hit and miss , one guy has no issue the next guy nothing but issues .

Ford , well prior to the 6.0L they had a good diesel truck , 6.0 has been bad news the newer 6.4 is it ? not any better . All are having issues sorting out these new filttration systems they had to put on . Urea burners now . Id go to a GM 8.1 L if your towing or a Ford V10

Starting in 2012 Ford is putting the v 10 back into the F 650 models even due to sales on the diesel motor . Do some math regarding gas v's diesel power . Giving the cost difference at purchase , oil change and fuel cost theres no value in a diesel pickup .

The first gen Dmax 01 to 04 had injector problems. There is also a glow plug problem, and the worst of it is them seizing in the head, but can be solved with anti sieze if done early enough. They are also known for weak water pumps with stock ones going anywhere from 50k to 100k and cheepie rebuilds going even sooner. The Allison is the best performing automatic out of the big three in the time period you are looking at. They have consistant shifts, are probably the strongest of the diesel pick up automatics. The tow haul mode will downshift the trans and lock the converter when the brakes are applied and has excellent compression braking for an automatic equipped truck. The early transmissions had problems with neutral safety back up switch.

Thanks to all for the replies and evaluations. When I purchased the "Trusty, yet Crusty" Dodge new in March, 1996 I couldn't then justify the upcharge for the diesel engine given many of the factors cited in this thread. At the time, the truck was my daily commuter, but as time went on and I exited the towing/hauling business selling off the carriers, it became strictly a workhorse for me. The replacement truck will fill the same need. I'm not looking for a commuter truck but rather something to work.

As part of mine and my wife's conversation last evening we, (believe this shit) share in the desire to have a B model fill this role. Given that I have a nice single axle cab and chassis, a single axle air ride cutoff that will be a slip fit with 3.70 gears, a vintage underdash air conditioner, power steering. power window add on kits, and a whole bunch of new/rechromed ornamentation, this may be a viable option.

Although it runs very well, I don't think I'd be interested in retaining the original engine but would rather go with a small Cummins, or DT-466 series at about 250 horses to do the job. Being all mechanical I'd be able to maintain it myself. I have a few different transmissions with both SAE#1, and SAE#2 bells on them. If I could find a small engine with a #1 bell, I'd used the double over triplex that is in the truck now.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks to all for the replies and evaluations. When I purchased the "Trusty, yet Crusty" Dodge new in March, 1996 I couldn't then justify the upcharge for the diesel engine given many of the factors cited in this thread. At the time, the truck was my daily commuter, but as time went on and I exited the towing/hauling business selling off the carriers, it became strictly a workhorse for me. The replacement truck will fill the same need. I'm not looking for a commuter truck but rather something to work. As part of mine and my wife's conversation last evening we, (believe this shit) share in the desire to have a B model fill this role. Given that I have a nice single axle cab and chassis, a single axle air ride cutoff that will be a slip fit with 3.70 gears, a vintage underdash air conditioner, power steering. power window add on kits, and a whole bunch of new/rechromed ornamentation, this may be a viable option. Although it runs very well, I don't think I'd be interested in retaining the original engine but would rather go with a small Cummins, or DT-466 series at about 250 horses to do the job. Being all mechanical I'd be able to maintain it myself. I have a few different transmissions with both SAE#1, and SAE#2 bells on them. If I could find a small engine with a #1 bell, I'd used the double over triplex that is in the truck now. Thanks for the help. Rob

Thats an idea there. I prefer manuals as ever auto I've had or driven never seemed to hold up. The 5 speed in my dodge had a problem that fortunatley I have not encountered yet which is 5th coming apart. I feel but this is my preference if your going to pull with it a manual is the way to go. Set up right they will walk the dog no pun intended. in the 13 vyears I have had mine I've had a triaxle tag along with 15 to 20k of stuff on it on 35" rubber and rolled with it. before becoming an owner op my old boss had a 11k pound boat he would pull with my truck all the time. Mind you I only have a 3/4 ton but it never backs down. I love the Cummins in it. I feel it is almost a direct drive as from 4th to 5th it is not a huge jump and just seems like it wants to keep going and going and going. Maybe a gear vender od would help because there is jump from 2nd to 3rd and from 3rd to 4th that when I do anything sucks.

I've seen a lot of the NV4500 series transmission broken when used hard. The problem you are experiencing is not guaranteed failure but I've seen a few failure just as you mention. The six speed trans that replaced the five speed is an improvement to both the gear spread, and the durability but it is still reletively new in the marketplace.

The four speed automatic in the Dodge just didn't belong there. With the V10 gas engine and even a light load behind, it was best to lock out the overdrive as this locked the converter, adjusted the shift points, and actually improved the economy, (loaded only). A five speed automatic, or manual transmission would have been a much better fitment as I used the truck.

Rob

• I had a 2004.5 Silverado 2500 LLY with an allison for 5+ years and 98k miles on it. I just sold it last fall. I never had a problem with it at all. It was stock with a MPRP exhaust on it which gave it a little more response and sounded good. I pulled a couple Cat skid steers, bob cats, and my yale 5k cap forklift from michigan in a snow storm that i followed back across the ohio pike into pittsburgh with no problem at all. Anything I threw at it it took. I pulled a 38k and 58k mack rears plus the rolling chassis of a couple parts trucks when I was doing my B with it as well. When the Allison was in trailer mode thats when it really performed. I work with a guy who bought an 09' 3500 dually silverado and has about 50k miles on it with no problems. I driven 1 ton 5.9 and 6.7 cummins dodge and they pretty good too. We have 3-2004 E-350 box vans at work and man they are gutless. I call them powerpukes. They are constantly in for injectors, turbos, and erg cleanings. To each his own but If i had the funds I would def have another Duramax or cummins 3500. I currently have a 2006 Silverado 3500 with a 6.0l gas job that can't get out of its own way nor pull my trailer empty. The only reason why I sold the truck is so I could start building a garage....

• I had a 2004.5 Silverado 2500 LLY with an allison for 5+ years and 98k miles on it. I just sold it last fall. I never had a problem with it at all. It was stock with a MPRP exhaust on it which gave it a little more response and sounded good. I pulled a couple Cat skid steers, bob cats, and my yale 5k cap forklift from michigan in a snow storm that i followed back across the ohio pike into pittsburgh with no problem at all. Anything I threw at it it took. I pulled a 38k and 58k mack rears plus the rolling chassis of a couple parts trucks when I was doing my B with it as well. When the Allison was in trailer mode thats when it really performed. I work with a guy who bought an 09' 3500 dually silverado and has about 50k miles on it with no problems. I driven 1 ton 5.9 and 6.7 cummins dodge and they pretty good too. We have 3-2004 E-350 box vans at work and man they are gutless. I call them powerpukes. They are constantly in for injectors, turbos, and erg cleanings. To each his own but If i had the funds I would def have another Duramax or cummins 3500. I currently have a 2006 Silverado 3500 with a 6.0l gas job that can't get out of its own way nor pull my trailer empty. The only reason why I sold the truck is so I could start building a garage....

Funny you mention the 2006 Silverado with the 6.0. My service truck at work is the same thing but a 2500 series with a "Knapheid" utility bed. The thing really lacks power and is hard pressed to see 10mpg empty. I put my skid steer behind it on it's trailer and I get passed by everybody due to lack of acceleration.

Rob

I have had three DMax's and I have been pleased with all of them. Like all products there are folks out there who will hate on them, but have never owned one themselves. (Paccar anyone?) I highly recommend them with a couple of caveats. The early 2004's would run hot in high ambient temps under a heavy load. It is related to the air intake and there are after market fixes for it if you run across a 2004 that's a great deal. Starting in 2005 or 6 they came with 6 speed autos which I like much better than the 4 speeds.

I have owned three because I changed body styles, not because of any running gear issues. Each of the first two had around 100k on them and they never needed a repair. I have a 2011 3500HD CC SRW LB now that I love. It tows my GN flat bed with the 52 Mack on it with no problems and it is the best of the three for towing the fifth wheel.

The previous versions of the Ford PSD had some issues and they do not have the best tranny's in the years you are looking at.

If you want to get info on any specific model year go to the Diesel Place Forum. There is as much information as you could possibly want on all of the light duty diesels. http://www.dieselpla...forum/index.php

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I'm all Ford so I won't speak Chevy here however I have alot of knowledge on the Ford P/S.

The best was the 7.3L, damn thing would burn was oil and not complain. There was a early one that had a M in the VIN#, that was a awsome engine. I forgot if Ford had their turbo on it or if they had their hand in it more. The downfall of these is the auto-trans. A good rebuild and overhaul will fix this.

The 6.0L is horrable stock. The EGR is the main cause for all problems!!!! Example: The higher heat and soot causes dirtier oil and oil breakdown. Also the coolant needs to be clean, clean, clean. Dirty it will plug up the oil cooler and EGR cooler resulting in high heat, busted oil coolers and busted EGR coolers. The fix is delete the EGR and add a coolant filter. The auto-trans (TORQUESHIFT) in these are great though.

The 6.4L is basically the same as the 6.0L with more coolers and a different turbo.

I could write a book on this stuff, but if you have any questions let me know!! My take is: Find a 7.3L standard or auto trans. with upgrades and your Vanilla Gorilla will salute your feet!!!!

I'm all Ford so I won't speak Chevy here however I have alot of knowledge on the Ford P/S.

The best was the 7.3L, damn thing would burn was oil and not complain. There was a early one that had a M in the VIN#, that was a awsome engine. I forgot if Ford had their turbo on it or if they had their hand in it more. The downfall of these is the auto-trans. A good rebuild and overhaul will fix this.

The 6.0L is horrable stock. The EGR is the main cause for all problems!!!! Example: The higher heat and soot causes dirtier oil and oil breakdown. Also the coolant needs to be clean, clean, clean. Dirty it will plug up the oil cooler and EGR cooler resulting in high heat, busted oil coolers and busted EGR coolers. The fix is delete the EGR and add a coolant filter. The auto-trans (TORQUESHIFT) in these are great though.

The 6.4L is basically the same as the 6.0L with more coolers and a different turbo.

I could write a book on this stuff, but if you have any questions let me know!! My take is: Find a 7.3L standard or auto trans. with upgrades and your Vanilla Gorilla will salute your feet!!!!

I've been seriously considering purchasing a local farmer's 1992 F250 with a 7.3 turbocharged diesel and five speed trans. The truck itself is rotted to the gills so not really much good but does run well. I know the family history so pretty certain it has been maintained. I do remember it new as I used to sublet repair all the then Ford dealership autobody repair work. I understand this was the first year Ford offered the 7.3 diesel as factory turbocharged but don't remember it being charge air cooled. Is this correct? Is the engine sound being the first year produced?

I can't bring myself to purchase another new truck as I just don't require it, (business or personal). Spent a couple of hours yesterday "digging out" the B model Mack mentioned earlier as I am going to move forward with putting this truck together regardless. This Dodge thing is just the springboard I've needed to work on the project. Of the three B models in the shop, none are roadworthy and this is such a terrible thing to live through.......

Rob

The 7.3 is an animal. Transmissions where not there favorite. Drove one tow that had an auto and it ate that thing and the other had a 5 speed. It did good just thought it didn't have a low enough first. I think you'll be happy with that just put a fuel tank in the back as they like fuel but will drag anything you want anywhere. at 85 mph

Hi Rob, I thought 93 was the first year, but could be the 2nd half of 92. If you get me the full VIN# I can probably get the OASIS report on it. I don't think it was till 1999 that they put intercoolers in them. However Banks performance makes a intercooler kit that will go in that. If the frame won't fold and you can fix the rot I'd go for it, assuming the price is right!

The 7.3 is an animal. Transmissions where not there favorite. Drove one tow that had an auto and it ate that thing and the other had a 5 speed. It did good just thought it didn't have a low enough first. I think you'll be happy with that just put a fuel tank in the back as they like fuel but will drag anything you want anywhere. at 85 mph

You hit the nail on the head! The auto trans left stock would come apart. A rebuild with some updates will fix that. The best thing about the 7.3L is that it don't care if your empty or overloaded it will pull the same!

I had to explain it to my buddy, he has 7.3L and 6.0L. The 7.3L is a big block, the 6.0L is a small block. Kinda like 302 vs. 460 or 305 vs. 454 SEEEEEEEEE.?.?.

Well Rob,

I know you have drove my f350 with a HEAVY load on it. I think all the little trucks with diesels are fairly well designed, I like the ford 4x4 because the front axle is solid, the chevy is well... not. And if you put the two trucks on a set of scales you will find the Ford to be quite a bit heavier. For a work horse I recommend a Ford. The 6.0 can be a good engine and the auto is an awesome trans. The 6.0 needs a few fixes for superior reliability.

15 gears...no waiting!

Well Rob,

I know you have drove my f350 with a HEAVY load on it. I think all the little trucks with diesels are fairly well designed, I like the ford 4x4 because the front axle is solid, the chevy is well... not. And if you put the two trucks on a set of scales you will find the Ford to be quite a bit heavier. For a work horse I recommend a Ford. The 6.0 can be a good engine and the auto is an awesome trans. The 6.0 needs a few fixes for superior reliability.

Can't discount what you've said at all Morgan. If I could find a 2000 Ford F350 with a decent price I'd prolly snap it up. I really liked the way your truck pulls and drives.

Still haven't come to settlement on the Dodge so not moving forward till that happens.

Rob