Fram filter problems?

41chevy

Went to get all new filters for my R today at Gabrielli Mack ($$$), because my local Napa had none. Seems to be a recall on the Napa Commercial filters that are / were made by Fram. I was told the bypass valve springs sent by the supplier were weak and causing the oil not to be filtered. This causes unfiltered oil to continuesly by run through the system. I thought the bypass valve was in the filter adapter on the block and that the filters themselves only had an Anti Drainback valve. I always though that Wix or AC made Napas filters to their spec. I've always though FRAM filters were a quality product. Went to FRAMs web site and only found a caution on defective gaskets on a few foreign car filters, called their tech line and got what seemed to be double talk. Any body hear or have problems with either brand? Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I hate to hear that fram makes mack filters. I know when the 5.9 cummins first came out in the mid range freightliners i have seen a few come in with scored piston on one hole. when you tear down its always reason to believe that its the filters fault. Cause the filter will be blowed up in side and altho i have not seen one but i beleive it has stopped up a piston cooling jet.Cummin has leased a letter soon after that time stating same view of the problem and to never use a fram filter. So for i have never be known to buy one. There is some filter testing done on utube if any one wants to take a look.

glenn akers

Took them back and bought Hastings, I don't need any problems down and back to Ocala. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Took them back and bought Hastings, I don't need any problems down and back to Ocala. Paul

What you coming to Slowcala for? Stop by 75 Chrome Shop, buy some goodies

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

What you coming to Slowcala for? Stop by 75 Chrome Shop, buy some goodies

In the early 70's I ran (blew it up alot)an Alcolhol Funny car for Marinos Italian Ices. Parked it in 1974,picked a lot of 30% of the stuff of it. I've donated / traded it to Don Garlits Museum as it is still mostly in as raced trim from 1973. I'll stop by, my R could use some goodies... Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

since you're gonna be nearby, stop at the all-nude bar/restarant. Right alongside 75

Don't know about nude dining, my butt usually sticks to the vinyl seats................ :blush:

P.T.CHESHIRE

In the early 70's I ran (blew it up alot)an Alcolhol Funny car for Marinos Italian Ices. Parked it in 1974,picked a lot of 30% of the stuff of it. I've donated / traded it to Don Garlits Museum as it is still mostly in as raced trim from 1973. I'll stop by, my R could use some goodies... Paul

Paul,any pictures of the funny car? i spent a LOT of time at Englishtown,NJ in my youth and what they call "nostagia"racing is what i grew up with. "Vintage" funny cars,top fuel (front engine) pro-stock cars are something of a hobby of mine............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Paul,any pictures of the funny car? i spent a LOT of time at Englishtown,NJ in my youth and what they call "nostagia"racing is what i grew up with. "Vintage" funny cars,top fuel (front engine) pro-stock cars are something of a hobby of mine............Mark

I ran at National Speedway under the UDRA, Etown and Thundervalley under NHRA , Dragway INC in Pa under AHRA,

Bob Barry drove it for two races the went big time. I was running a E/Gasser (still have it) and ran the aa/fc at the same time for all but two races. Best time of 202.45 @ 5:97.7 We ran a 392, 2 speed and a 57 Olds rear. That was the year that Donovan came out with the Aluminum 417.. Alcohol fuel, launched 5 blowers in one season and lost our sponser. Never had the money to do it right, but had a hell of a lot of fun.

round_50_6a.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

I've had two separate incidents on my cars with Fram brand filters coming apart at the crimp at different times. I don't use the brand any longer due to this. Both were Chrysler products, (340V8, and 426 V8) several years ago.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Off to Ocala tuesday ,Ill stop by for chrome and brought powder for the naked dining... Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

We might be here still. Just parked at the Wilco there and looking for a load. Be here till I get one

Will I pushed up and leaving tomorrow afternoon. Load up was easier than expected. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

We might be here still. Just parked at the Wilco there and looking for a load. Be here till I get one

There is an R700 in NV I could use brought home.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Drive carefully, theres a lot of nuts out there. AND most are heading to FLA.

Snowbirds, as long as they bring money

Timing it to miss most of the mess on the DC loop and stop in Fork Union,Va for dinner and some jawing with family and see how the R fairs on it's first otr trip. Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE