Baby Sitting

other dog

The dog that lives next door ( but stays over here as much as she stays at home) had a litter of 10 puppies 10 days ago. They made her a nice nest in a big cardboard box on their back porch. Somebody came over to look at them or something and dropped one of them, from about waist high Jo said, and the mama dog wouldn't have anything to do with it afterwards- wouldn't let it nurse at all. I haven't seen the others, but Jo said they're all twice as big as this one,even the "runt" who was born last.

So, she asked if she could bring the abandoned pup over here to take care of it. I said "sure, we'll just get a baby bottle and feed it".

She brought it over and just poured a few drops of milk in her hand and let the pup lick it off.

"we need to get a bottle"

"no we don't, this is working fine"

By the time I got home Friday she had a baby bottle- made especially for abandoned puppies and some puppy formula that's supposed to be like the mother's milk.

She said "it's still going to the pound with the rest of them when it's old enough"

I said "no it ain't"

She's got it on an electric blanket in the floor now.

And she's wondering what to name it.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

My daughter Nikki, and "Momma" have raised a over a dozen abandoned/orphaned/injured animals through the years including cats, dogs, rabbits, birds, mice, (wtf?), and even a litter of coons. Both of our current dogs and "Mouser1" are rescues.

They make some of the best pets due to the support given when young.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Long long time ago, I started working career off as a log cutter, and was always coming up with a lot of baby squirrels that would be in nests of trees that I cut down. I would take them home and wife would feed them "esbilac" which is a bitches milk substitute from the vet. She never lost a single one, made really good pets. Eventually we woould turn them out and they stayed around house in trees. You could go out and whistle or clap your hands and they would come scampering up and climb up your leg looking for a handout. Some were "fox" squirrel species and they would get really attached to you. The "cat" squirrel species were a lil more standoffish. We raised a few coons that way also. The coons grew up to be very destructive, but were very comical. randyp

If that puppy turns out to be like my critter that will be one of the best dogs you will ever have. Only downfall is mine has separation anxiety. If we are getting a motel for the weekend and I start walking around and he sees me he just about has a nervous breakdown. he cries,whines,whimpers you name it. He is super attached to me. Then again I got him at 4 weeks.

I sure hope all works out with the puppy but try to keep yourself prepared just in case... The old saying, Mamma know's best often fits in these situations. 11 or 12 years ago my sis-in-law had two mares drop at the same time, both colts seemed completely healthy but Baby would not nurse Spanky, kicked him away, etc. My wife, father-in-law & sis-in-law stayed with him 24/7 bottle feeding him & cleaning him,etc. All seemed normal for 3 years then he just dropped dead. An autopsy was done, turned out he had a brain issue from birth and it was suprising that he lived for more than a few months. I don't know how they know, but mamma's seem to know...

I really hope everything turns out good for that little one. I rescued my dog just before a deputy was gonna put him down do to being an injured stray. Spent a bunch of money getting his injuries taken care of and he was malnourished. Just when he was looking real good the vet called and advised test results indicated heartworms. Spent more money and got him thru that as well. He is the greatest dog I have ever had.

post-45-0-18785300-1318172815_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the puppy. I bet if you post pictures on here before the other puppies go to the pound you'll have people coming from all over to adopt them. I wouldn't worry about the puppy too much if it is eating well. They tend to do well as long as they are eating. It is best to feed it from a bottle when it is that young. I'm not a truck driver,but my father is. I'm a veterinarian.

Mike

Congratulations on the puppy. I bet if you post pictures on here before the other puppies go to the pound you'll have people coming from all over to adopt them. I wouldn't worry about the puppy too much if it is eating well. They tend to do well as long as they are eating. It is best to feed it from a bottle when it is that young. I'm not a truck driver,but my father is. I'm a veterinarian.

Mike

Thank you.

I sure hope all works out with the puppy but try to keep yourself prepared just in case... The old saying, Mamma know's best often fits in these situations. 11 or 12 years ago my sis-in-law had two mares drop at the same time, both colts seemed completely healthy but Baby would not nurse Spanky, kicked him away, etc. My wife, father-in-law & sis-in-law stayed with him 24/7 bottle feeding him & cleaning him,etc. All seemed normal for 3 years then he just dropped dead. An autopsy was done, turned out he had a brain issue from birth and it was suprising that he lived for more than a few months. I don't know how they know, but mamma's seem to know...

I really hope everything turns out good for that little one. I rescued my dog just before a deputy was gonna put him down do to being an injured stray. Spent a bunch of money getting his injuries taken care of and he was malnourished. Just when he was looking real good the vet called and advised test results indicated heartworms. Spent more money and got him thru that as well. He is the greatest dog I have ever had.

Thanks Terry, I hope so too.

Mike

You have emulated our thoughts exactly. My daughter is a certified and licensed Veterinary Technician. I hope to convince her to further into a full fledged verterinarian at some point as she absolutely loves animals of all kinds with extra care for the "unfortunate ones".

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Nice job Tom! thats just the right thing to do! never "bought" a dog in my life,and some of the best pets ever start out this way. Dog we have have now started out like this,people that had the litter was gonna take them all to the pound,we took in the last remaing pup,which was also the runt of the litter,an let me tell you,one of the best damn dogs we ever had! easiest dog to house break i've ever seen,and i feel better when i'm on the road that theres a FIERCELY loyal 120lb. German Shepard on the other side of the door looking out for my family! house without a dog just aint a home in my opinion! best of luck!..................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Nice job Tom! thats just the right thing to do! never "bought" a dog in my life,and some of the best pets ever start out this way. Dog we have have now started out like this,people that had the litter was gonna take them all to the pound,we took in the last remaing pup,which was also the runt of the litter,an let me tell you,one of the best damn dogs we ever had! easiest dog to house break i've ever seen,and i feel better when i'm on the road that theres a FIERCELY loyal 120lb. German Shepard on the other side of the door looking out for my family! house without a dog just aint a home in my opinion! best of luck!..................Mark

I agree with all of that. Other dog is the best dog i've ever had, and he adopted me- been housebroken from day one! I don't know how, he was supposed to be a hunting dog, but he's gun-shy. He ran off from his original owner, we took him in, and when his owner found him he said just keep him. That was around '02 or '03.

When he wants to go out he stands at the door until somebody opens it for him, then when he's ready to come in he lifts one paw and scratches the door until somebody lets him in. Seems like he does that 300 times a day sometimes!

This puppy is getting stronger and moving around more all the time- I can hardly wait until it starts chewing up Jo's shoes and biting her! I already told her that was her job and duty as a puppy.

LMAO! nothing like wakin' up to a little turd in your work shoes!...........only thing our dog really chewed up when he was a puppy was an ENTIRE box of cheerios (box included) no harm done,but it sure gave the little guy some wicked gas! he stills shys away from the box now when my boy eats his breakast.....................Mark

LMAO! nothing like wakin' up to a little turd in your work shoes!...........only thing our dog really chewed up when he was a puppy was an ENTIRE box of cheerios (box included) no harm done,but it sure gave the little guy some wicked gas! he stills shys away from the box now when my boy eats his breakast.....................Mark

Funny Mark, but Cheerios gives me gas, big time also. Nothin like having breakfast on Cheerios then lunch at a favorite Mexican resturant and finishing up for supper on beans cornbread with a big ole onion with topped off Chow Chow.....HOTTTTT!!!

mike

This turned out to be the best advice. Had her just long enough to get good and and attached, but the puppy died yesterday.

She seemed to be getting better every day we had her. Jo called me yesterday crying and told me she had died. She was feeding it every couple of hours and wrote down what time she ate and how much each time. She said it started crying so she picked it up and it was squirming so much she didn't have enough hands to hold her. She thought it was just hungry so she put it back on her blanket and put it's bottle in some warm water. The pup then scratched it's ear with it's hind leg, just like a big dog does- never done that before. Then she said it sat up with it's mouth open and was trying to breathe through it's mouth- and died.

If I knew then what I know now i'd have taken it to the vet last weekend- maybe they'd have found something, you never know. She must have had some internal injury from being dropped, but it was eating good, pooping, peeing, seemingly getting stronger all the time.

I buried her in the back yard when I got home today.

Truly sad and my shop property has many graves for the unfortunate ones also. We do the best we can but can't save them all.

Rob

Sad to hear,but as Rob said,we cant save them all,i hate to hear about something like this, especially where a "little guy" is concerned,but from the sound of it,there was prolly nothing you could've done different. Could have had some type internal injury that was not easily noticed,but who knows?..........................Mark