Looking To Buy A Mack But Dont Know What To Do ?

Hello,

I looking at buying a 1993 Mack CL643. The truck is 1 of 1 on the build sheet. It has a Factory

450hp Detroit Engine, Mack 18-speed trans, and Mack 40,000 Rears with air suspension. The

truck also has double steering boxes. It was also built for canada so it has a double frame. The

Truck is loaded with options, aluminum wheels, skirts, sliding fifth wheel, power windows/locks,

all guages, elite edition, Big sleeper with wood cabinets, roof console, 8 speaker radio, A/C /

Heat Control in sleeper, this is just to name a few. Now my question is: Is this truck something

that should be restored and once restored what could it be worth? Also how much do you think

it is worth in original unrestored condition? I included a picture so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks

Olivier

post-1257-1169643613_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I don't think your truck came with the detroit in it from the factory. Does the spec sheet call for it to have a detroit? The reason I ask is because of the Gold Bulldog on the hood. I am pretty sure that Gold Bull Dogs only went on trucks that were all Mack. Pedigree is the word the company used. Meaning it had a Mack engine, and transmission. I could be wrong about that because the CL was available with other Manufacturer's engines, But would have had a silver dog and silver stand for the bull dog. Getting a Gold aftermarket bulldog would be no problem. It is a good looking truck though. If the price is right go for it.

I don't think your truck came with the detroit in it from the factory. Does the spec sheet call for it to have a detroit? The reason I ask is because of the Gold Bulldog on the hood. I am pretty sure that Gold Bull Dogs only went on trucks that were all Mack. Pedigree is the word the company used. Meaning it had a Mack engine, and transmission. I could be wrong about that because the CL was available with other Manufacturer's engines, But would have had a silver dog and silver stand for the bull dog. Getting a Gold aftermarket bulldog would be no problem. It is a good looking truck though. If the price is right go for it.

The gold Bulldog was part of the "Elite" package,first time it was brought back since they quit putting them on Maxidyne powered Macks in '81.In '95 gold Bulldogs returned on all Mack component Mack's.

So the "Elite" pkg.,I'd assume,was a truck with "all the bells & whistles"?

:thumb: Cool truck-I vote that if the price is reasonable,you should jump on it,if for no other reason than being 1 of 1 build! In collections.the first and last built of anything are worth more than the ones in between.

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

:WELCOME: OLIVIER 46HEMI To BMT GLAD TO HAVE ya here :thumb: thats 1 good lookin CL ELITE :mack1: there too

yup the "Elite" pkg was the "cadilac" pkgfor the CL Models :thumb: 1st CL Ive herd of w/ a 60 series in it but i knew Cummins was an option in the CL Models as well .

later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Although the truck is a beauty. I wouldn't read too much into the 1 of 1 on the build sheet. All that 1 of 1 means is that this particular customer only ordered 1 truck. If the customer was somebody like UPS or one of the other fleets it may be 1 of 3000, or even 2000 of 3000.

She's definitely built for heavy haulin' with the drivers comfort in mind. Buy it for the best price you can,put her to work,take good care of her,and she'll last you forever.And just think of all the exercise you can get when your not drivin' (doin' jumpin jacks in the sleeper,lol).Good luck,TOMBSTONE.

"So the "Elite" pkg.,I'd assume,was a truck with "all the bells & whistles"?"

Speed

Well kinda Speed.... The Elite package was the most plush package, but you still had to spec power windows, power locks, Alpine or Panasonic stereo etc. The Elite trim was either gray or maroon cloth with overhead speakers in the cab for both driver and passenger, wood grain dash inserts, etc. Both of the attached CH613's had the "Elite" package, no power windows, R side power lock, no moto mirrors, one had a Panasonic stereo system, the other I switched in a complete Pioneer systems with disc changer.

CL643, sounds like that one of one is fairly accurate. Most were CL6XX's were613's with E9 500's or E7's of various HP ratings.

Unfortunately, putting a value on it is difficult as the only people who understand the true value of a rare commercial truck such as this appears to be, are typically us dirt poor truck drivers! It is worth what ever it is worth to you and not much more. I am not a Detroit fan, but because this truck is unusual, if I had the money and time, I would buy it.

T.

post-45-1175298917_thumb.jpg

post-45-1175298954_thumb.jpg

Are you sure it's got a detroit? Good motor for on the highway only, but for anything else it is pretty much worthless. Kind of demeans the truck,no offense meant. :P

I wouldn't be too hard on the Detroit as allot of guys swear by them.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't be too hard on the Detroit as allot of guys swear by them.

Yea you're right,like I said I didn't mean any offense,I guess I came across stronger than I meant it. My buddy has a detroit in his 96 Binder and its been a good motor,they just aren't real torquey.

• 10 months later...
Are you sure it's got a detroit? Good motor for on the highway only, but for anything else it is pretty much worthless. Kind of demeans the truck,no offense meant. :P

Those DETROIT DIESEL SERIES 60 are worthless motors. Think about that they have been arround since 1987 and DETROIT DIESEL still sells that trash of an engine.

Better go find one with the E-7 or E-9 engines and an all mack powertrain

nice looking CL, my last truck had a 60 series, which was the first 60 series that I ever drove('97 freightshaker) and I had no coplaints at all and i think it had better low end grunt than my '07 Mack with a 465

i thought all CL's were CL7XX's, not 6XX's?

In the early '90's CL600's and CL700's were available. Not sure which year, '97 or '98 maybe, Mack dropped the CL600's. The Franklin Mint 1/32 scale model that was very popular was a CL613 with an E9 500. I believe Mack dropped the CL600 when they dropped the E9. The CL as a road tractor really wasn't all that popular, although I sure would have liked to have a CL613 E9 500/2180 with the 60" standup bunk.

The pic is of the 3 CL613's I currently own, the only ones I will ever be able to afford to own!

T.

post-45-1205969332_thumb.jpg