What Do You Want In The Cl's Replacement?

OK, here's my specs for the CL's replacement:

Name- I'd like to bring back the Superliner, but it doesn't fit in with the current Granite, Pinnacle, etc.. How about Quartz- symbolizing the toughest and most lustrous of granite's elements?

Concept- take off from where the Granite left off. Make it a world class truck that'll move anything with wheels on it and even give the off road dump trucks and small locomotives some competition.

Frame- 9 mm. thick 300 mm. tall standard, with options up to inch thick I-beams.

Power- make the MP10 standard, and design the colloing system to handle up to 1000 horses. Offer the big Volvo industrial engines and vendor engines as options for off highway trucks.

Transmissions- Maxitorque standard, Volvo and Allison automatics optional. Maybe Eaton or ZF/Meritor if customers demand it. Bring back the Mack transfer case if it will handle the MP10's torque.

Axles- everything in the Mack/Volvo/Terberg/Sisu/Renault world inventory. Capacities should be available up to at least 20 tons/ axle. Create a modular frame interface so it's possible to put as many driven or undriven axles under the truck as the customer wants. Offer a factory "Hi Rail" conversion with load absorbing couplers, resulting in a road legal locomotive capable of up to 100 tons tractive effort.

Cab- Okay, lets get it over with... time to start saying goodby to Mayflower's best effort. Upstage Volvo by giving us first shot at the new FH cab... I mean, there ain't nothin about this truck that's little! Leave the tilt mechanism in place too like Scania did- the boys in the outback will be happy to see they're getting a free transmission crane with the truck. Make the short sleeper Euro cab standard with fold up bunk and jump seats available.

Hood- Offer both set back and set forward axles so this Mack can carry the most regardless of the local weight regulations. Offer flat & tall and sloping hood options. And being this truck is built with a cabover's cab, even offer no hood at all.

What'd ya think?

when somebody plan to put volvo scrap in a Mack my heart overspeed...

let Mack make HIS own thing like they always did... copy on something wrong isn't bright!!!

I wouldn't call it wrong. Dont sleep on those Europeans, they have some very impressive and tough trucks. They may look like plastic jokes but they can hold their own to any north American truck any day. Their axles alone are built twice as heavy as ours due to their less stringent weight laws. Ever see those planetary axles? They come in capacities of 70k and sit on 6 rod spring suspension. Defiantly tough. Their transmissions have single counter shafts , fully synchronized and can handle the full torque of the engine, some of which are stronger then ours (Scania V8 @ 620HP 2150ft/lbs, Volvo I6 660HP 2250ft/lbs). Cabs ride like butter using full 4 point air suspension. Might sound more like a car to some of you guys, but represents their progressive way of life.

Ok enough of that. Now gearheadgirrrl id say give it more of an Aussie Superliner look in terms of the grille with a more square-ish hood. The Superliner name would fit just fine, would be nice of it to make a comeback (and successful too if done right). As for the Volvo cab (not the FH, but the domestic VH/VN/VT cab) am not keen on that idea, would be nice if they could design their own. But the safety and structural strength of the Volvo cab is a great thing (they after all, helped define the European truck crash standards.) They would have to loose that damn ugly dash board though (I dont like the new Mack dashboard either.). I agree about the axles though, but those planetary axles weigh twice as much as standard north American axles of the same capacity. Standard air disc brakes all around for highway tractors and on road trucks, better stopping power and damn easier to change pads than shoes, plus they resist fade.

Now what would be really cool is if they automated the Mack tranny to compete with the ZF, Allison and pathetic Eaton autos. Use a proper hydraulic shift mechanism not the lame 2 servo joke. Also as an interesting note; ZF offers in Europe two very interesting transmissions. The first is the TC series which is a 12 speed automated manual with no clutch but instead a torque converter. It shifts smooth like an allison but drives more like an auomated manual (used for heavy loads where drive line shock is a problem). The next device isnt a transmission but a unit called the WSK. Its a torque converter that bolts to your engine and has a standard clutch type manual or automated manual mounted behind it. Now it has a built in retarder, and has a "one way" design, so if you use the engine brake its like there is no converter so you get the full effect of the engine brake (you can even pull start the truck too). And I am not too sure but you can flip a switch to "turn off" the converter putting it in constant lockup. Cool eh? Would be nice for heay loads and off road work, certainly save wear on the clutch, as you let the converter do the slipping.

Oh an my favorite Euro invention is a hydrostatic driven front axle from MAN. At speeds up to 15 MPH it provides you with a front driven axle using a pump unit mounted to the output shaft of the tranny. Two hydraulic lines run to each of the wheel ends where the hub houses the motor and planetary gears. The best thing? No raised front end as their are no axle shafts or differential. Also no heavy transfer case or drive shaft, its lighter. Not a true replacement for a 6x6 but good for those job sites where a a 6x6 would be handy but most of the time is spent on road (mixers, dumps, even wreckers).

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I've often said that Mack should put together a panel of drivers and mechanics to discuss new models! They are the ones that know what they want and need in a truck!

bmodel_logo.png
Barry - Watt's Truck Center Parts Manager and BMT Webmaster...1-888-304-MACK