So, in the discussion of the Mack factory truck on eBay, mention was made about how offshore brokers will pay more for a truck than we might expect.

Does anyone have an idea of what the "floor" value for these trucks is? How much will a MH613 or a Superliner or R Model sell for to an exporter?

This will give me an idea of what I am up against . . . .

Thanx.

Just my two cents here, but before you "determine how much an offshore buyer will pay", take a minute a minute and consider that the buyer, whether foreign or not, is just like any other customer.

I have just sold and delivered my third heavy duty Mack dump truck, this year, to a Haitian truck broker. After the first sale, the next couple have been easier - I like this fellow, and I hope the feeling is mutual.

These trucks were all advertised on Truckpaper and E-Bay for an extended period of time at very cheap prices. I received more than twenty telephone calls or e-mails, and only one call was an American (who turned out to be a real flake). Many calls were just dreamers or people trying to steal the trucks for ridiculously low offers.

The trucks all went to Haiti for fair prices. Way more than scrap value, and well over what anyone here was willing to pay. But the sales are not easy. Trust needs to be established on both sides of the transaction. How honestly you can describe a vehicle plays a big part in the sale. Communication isn't easy - it's difficult to understand a different language, or a strong accent. And shipping is a huge factor, whether you are shipping, or whether your buyer is shipping - the freight is huge.

Interesting little sidebar - The Caribbean countries, whether they have money or not, do indeed want older trucks. (We call them junk) Because of the salt air environment, the trucks rust very quickly, new or not. The trucks are run until they are too rusty to continue, then are often disassembled, and the parts are sold back to us! And Mack trucks are the favored brand, because they can be fixed time and time again.

Ultimately, I do not believe that you can make a blanket statement that an offshore buyer will, or will not, pay more or less money than a domestic buyer. The needs of the used truck market are different all over the world.

In the end, no matter who you are selling to, it boils down to how much you are willing to take from the sale of your vehicle.

What is a much larger concern, to me at least, is that there is apparently absolutely no market for older, usable trucks in the USA. We no longer see the value in cheap, dependable, albeit older, work trucks. What happened to us?

Instead, we sell the trucks offshore, they wear them out, and then we buy the worn out parts back. Seems nuts to me.

But, at least when visiting the Caribbean, I can feel good about seeing Macks doing the work, rather than Isuzus, Volvos, DKW's or any other overseas label.

Paul Van Scott

• Like 1

our first sled pulling truck ,a.k.a #5 ....was owned by a friends dad, he gave us the truck just for sled pulling and some laughs. it had a bad frame and rusty cab. A guy buying up old macks for export had came thru the yard and bought a bunch of 80s R models. he wanted the sled truck but we said he had to wait for the end of the season to get it. The owner said the exported was going to pay him 6k for the thing and he agreed to find us a replacement truck to keep pulling with. very thankfull that he has help us with the sled trucks,,,, anyways the sled truck was sold to the exporter with the pump calibrated/turned all the way up. I can only imagine what the next driver of that truck thought the first time he got the keys and pulled a load with it. LOL I bet that R model was well known after it arrived to where ever it went!!! i can just see it now doing wheelies up the hillsides...

RIP #5

• 8 years later...

If your looking to sell Mack's or any other truck for that matter post it in the trucks for sale column here. Were all partial to Mack's and would like the chance to buy them as opposed to them being shipped outta country