Tag Axle Tire Eating Out On The Inside

MCHAM

What will cause a tire to wear on the inside on a tag axle? Thanks for the help.

That not much info so try again. If it a duel wheel set up and is the two tires next to each other same size and is the question your asking the inside tire on one side or is it wearing the edge of one tire?

glenn akers

I've seen bushing and bearing wear cause this but most times it is nature of the beast. The camber cannot be set for all circumstances of operating parameters everywhere. If the tag axle is down with 50psi holding it to the pavement with a given load impressed upon it's suspension, this same load changes with 100psi. Camber, or tire scrub through turning of the truck is what wears the tires less than even across the tread. Every one I've ever been around suffers this same phenomenom.

The best you will be able to do is experiment with pressure if you know the alignment is optimized. This is trial and error experimentation with really no other way I'm aware of.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

See I run 100 Psi down to 90. Only time I lessen it is if I am light and just need it down for permit problems. If I have 20k on the steer lifting it is useless as I can't get the axle all the way off the ground. I just leave it down. Also Some states require the controls on the outside so I have it set up for both. But if I am on the outside valve I can't raise it from the inside. Also my axle is only a 17k axle I probably run 18k or better in it last few ties I have weighed it by it self. I might put a 25k axle under it and take the other one off.

See I run 100 Psi down to 90. Only time I lessen it is if I am light and just need it down for permit problems. If I have 20k on the steer lifting it is useless as I can't get the axle all the way off the ground. I just leave it down. Also Some states require the controls on the outside so I have it set up for both. But if I am on the outside valve I can't raise it from the inside. Also my axle is only a 17k axle I probably run 18k or better in it last few ties I have weighed it by it self. I might put a 25k axle under it and take the other one off.

That seems like a lot of pressure on the tag, but then I've never run with one myself (so please excuse my ignorance). If you've got air ride, you'd think the pressure should be somewhere in the same ballpark...give or take. If part of a tri-axle set-up, I thought under the bridge law you could only be 43K to 45K on the 3 axles (depending on spacing)....so 18K on the tag axle just seems like a lot. :idunno:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

That seems like a lot of pressure on the tag, but then I've never run with one myself (so please excuse my ignorance). If you've got air ride, you'd think the pressure should be somewhere in the same ballpark...give or take. If part of a tri-axle set-up, I thought under the bridge law you could only be 43K to 45K on the 3 axles (depending on spacing)....so 18K on the tag axle just seems like a lot. :idunno:

Your thinking bridge for legal. I can go between 20k per axle in some states or like Fl 25k on a single so my steer and stinger I can go 25k. 66k trips and 50 tandems. other states are different. in Pa I can permit up to 27k per axle but only 18 on the steer. so I think it is 200k on 8 axles gross weight. Over weight trucks and legal stuff got a whole different weight catergory for the axles. and Sc will put the tag on a separate scale to make sure your not over 20k per axle or 40 in the tandem grouping. It gets interesting.