Antique Mack Diesels, What, If Any Additives Do You Run In Your Fuel Tanks?

Hows the Diesel Kleen gray bottole additive?

I've ran the stuff a lot through the years without any problems. I try to keep a gallon of "Siloo" brand additive in the shop at all times for this use. It is green in color. Dexron III, or IV works well also bit I've not been on the road with the slight red "tinge" you can get with running it.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I've ran the stuff a lot through the years without any problems. I try to keep a gallon of "Siloo" brand additive in the shop at all times for this use. It is green in color. Dexron III, or IV works well also bit I've not been on the road with the slight red "tinge" you can get with running it.

Rob

We used to use ATF a lot, I always heard it kept the injectors clean. Now they put the same red dye in off road fuel and there's a hefty fine if they catch you with that in the tank, but you'd probably be all right with an antique vehicle. Never know though- I know a man real well that put just enough off road fuel in his truck to get back to his shop and they stopped him and checked his fuel. He said that was the only time he'd ever done it and he got caught- fine was over $1,000!

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I didnt know ATF would work , a friend of mine was running off road in a diesel pick up and got his tank dipped some how and got fined big. They also checked his diesel big truck at home. NC said if one of your vehicles test positive then they can check all of your trucks for off road fuel. - Never had that problem or looked into it more than that.

Il just run the diesel kleen for now, I will look up the Siloo , Howes, and Stanadyne also.

I didnt know ATF would work , a friend of mine was running off road in a diesel pick up and got his tank dipped some how and got fined big. They also checked his diesel big truck at home. NC said if one of your vehicles test positive then they can check all of your trucks for off road fuel. - Never had that problem or looked into it more than that.

Il just run the diesel kleen for now, I will look up the Siloo , Howes, and Stanadyne also.

It's alright to run the red fuel off road in a licensed vehicle. Drive across the street and you are subject to fining.

Farmers get busted here regularly but it really depends on who you know I suppose. One of my customers runs his truck from farm to elevator without license, with red fuel regularly and is never bothered. Of course he is only on country roads..........

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Jay,

Rob is probably right - as usual - Siloo is a good diesel fuel additive, if an additive is actually needed.

The ultra-low sulpher fuels don't seem to burn as well, and some say they lack lubrication qualities. (And the ULSF exhaust doesn't smell nearly as good)

Using our old trucks like we do, we don't really put many miles on them, and the fuel can sit for long periods of time.

I think the bigger concern is the water loving quality and the rubber hating quality of the ULSF with Ethanol blends.

Avoid Ethanol at all cost. It will eventually do damage to your old rubber seals and fuel lines. And, if left sitting for long periods,

it will attract water.

Neither rubber particles nor water droplets are recommended by your engine manufacturer.

There is a genuine concern over "red fuel", but I think it's not a huge problem for antique vehicles, especially those with Historical license plates. Mind you, I'm not saying you should use red fuel, but I think a red additive won't cause you any real problem, especially if you have the can or the receipt with you.

And besides, jail today isn't too bad a place, unless you are in Arizona, where you have to wear pink and sleep in tents.

Paul Van Scott

• Like 1

Jay,

Rob is probably right - as usual - Siloo is a good diesel fuel additive, if an additive is actually needed.

The ultra-low sulpher fuels don't seem to burn as well, and some say they lack lubrication qualities. (And the ULSF exhaust doesn't smell nearly as good)

Using our old trucks like we do, we don't really put many miles on them, and the fuel can sit for long periods of time.

I think the bigger concern is the water loving quality and the rubber hating quality of the ULSF with Ethanol blends.

Avoid Ethanol at all cost. It will eventually do damage to your old rubber seals and fuel lines. And, if left sitting for long periods,

it will attract water.

Neither rubber particles nor water droplets are recommended by your engine manufacturer.

There is a genuine concern over "red fuel", but I think it's not a huge problem for antique vehicles, especially those with Historical license plates. Mind you, I'm not saying you should use red fuel, but I think a red additive won't cause you any real problem, especially if you have the can or the receipt with you.

And besides, jail today isn't too bad a place, unless you are in Arizona, where you have to wear pink and sleep in tents.

Paul Van Scott

Hi there Paul,glad you dropped in! I know I speak for everyone when I say we've missed you...much like vision386.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I use Power Service additive with cetane boost. It was recommended to me by the mechanic who put the engine in my truck. He said the ULSD wasn't good for the injection pumps on the old diesels. I do run a Cummins Diesel in my Mack though.

Power Service claims easier starting, less fuel consumption, and more power too. I'm not sure if I believe all that (and I don't have a proper set up for true scientific testing) but I use it for the "Lubricity" enhancement to make up for the ultra low sulfur diesel. (Doesn't "Lubricity" sound like a made up word?)

http://www.powerservice.com/

I avoid ethanol and biodiesel blends like the plague.

Good, im running the Power Service now like I have been doing. Should I run the gray bottle and white Diesel Fuel Supplement® +Cetane Boost® at the same time or swap?

Well, I like the gray bottle myself, its actually cetane boost plus added lubrication, but i still add the marvel mystery oil for even more lubing. The marvel oil is an excellent top cylinder lubricant, made to be added to oil or fuel. i used to use 2 cycle oil but switched to the marvel. Dern modern diesel fuel is so low sulphur and dry! Havent had any pump or injector problems yet, knock on wood. randyp

Use the gray bottle (Diesel Kleen + Cetane) during non-winter months (March - November) and the white bottle (DF Supplement + Cetane) during the winter months (December - February). Or use white bottle year round if you do not want to switch for seasons. I use Stanadyne Performance Formula (similar to white bottle) year round.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"