Fuel Problem...dammit!

leversole

Went to warm up the truck, everything normal, after about ten minutes, it acted like I pulled the fuel cutoff out slowly and it finally died, not quick but slowly...after a minute or so, cranked it and it tried to start but obviously only had a little fuelll It was getting dark, so all I did was unscrew the primer and give it a few pumps, which resulted in plenty (I think!) of fuel...the primer felt like it was full...

So the question is where to start...Tonite I will read all I can on fuel injectors...buy new filters tommorrow,

then wait for some good advice from the forum...

Thanks

Howdy!

Sometimes there's a little sieve in the fuel tank, that prevents bigger impurities of entering a fuel line. If this sieve rusts, gets clogged or something like that, funny things happen. My friend has his truck start, run two kilometers and quit. So he called for help, after some time the help arrived, they tried to start the truck, and it started, went anothe rtwo kilometers and died again. When left to sit, the fuel was sifting through the sieve and filled the fuel line. But then when the motor created a serious fuel demand, air was being sucked in through the gaskets and blocked the pump. A quick remedy would be to blow compressed air into the tank, hopefully blowing the clog out. Hard to say if it's exactly what is troubling you, but I hope it helps - good luck with it and have a nice day

Paweł

You might also go ahead and replace any older rubber interconnecting lines that are in the fuel system too. These tend to deteriorate from the inside with the ULSD fuel accelerating the degradation of the rubber compound. These fuel lines can collapse internally and this can and will restrict, or block fuel flow.

Rob

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

How's the fuel filter? Mine went south on me just after I bought the truck, but it made it home............slowly. Found the filter plugged with crap. Seems they never changed it in 20 some years?

I second the rubber lines, I did all mine also. It doesn't take much. Also check the fuel tank breather lines(up under the cab). If they get clogged, it will draw a vacuum and won't let fuel flow. Unscrew the fuel cap and run it. If it stays running, that's the issue.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thanks for all the reply's...All of the lines are in good shape...I cannot believe a dirty fuel filter would bring my mighty Mack to a screeching halt! A new primary and secondary fuel filter ($20) and all is well! Now I just have to get the wheel put back together (from the King pin replacement)!

If the problem persists make sure the suction line and the pickup in the tank are clean. On numerous occasions I have seen "floaters" in the tank cause intermittent fuel starvation problems. Ham and cheese sammiches, fishing bobbers, and tampons are some of the more "interesting" things I've seen cause that sort of problem.

• Like 1

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Thanks for all the reply's...All of the lines are in good shape...I cannot believe a dirty fuel filter would bring my mighty Mack to a screeching halt! A new primary and secondary fuel filter ($20) and all is well! Now I just have to get the wheel put back together (from the King pin replacement)!

that always good news.bob :banana:

If the problem persists make sure the suction line and the pickup in the tank are clean. On numerous occasions I have seen "floaters" in the tank cause intermittent fuel starvation problems. Ham and cheese sammiches, fishing bobbers, and tampons are some of the more "interesting" things I've seen cause that sort of problem.

And here is the question that leaves me perplexed:

If you find a tampon in a red dyed "off road" diesel tank, how do you know if it's a used, or new, (unused) tampon?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If you find a tampon in a red dyed "off road" diesel tank, how do you know if it's a used, or new, (unused) tampon?

Rob

It's obvious...smell it, diesel has a dis "stink" tly different smell than rotting tuna!!

Think I'll take your word on it.

So what you are saying is the "funk factor" of a prior used tampon could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon at 50 paces? Even with low doses and limited exposure times?

My, should I ever encounter such a thing, think I'll just let it lay.

Rob

Rob

But what if it was On Road fuel with a used one thrown in?

Would you be able to convince Mr. DOT that it is proper?

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

But what if it was On Road fuel with a used one thrown in?

Would you be able to convince Mr. DOT that it is proper?

They would prolly swear it had a "funny taste".

Rob