Cf Gvwr?

Big E

Hello all, new to the site here and happy to discover all the information about these old trucks that is being shared. My question is, does anyone know approx. what the GVWR would be for a 1970 CF-600 empty? Trying to figure out if i need a CDL or not and I don't want to get pulled over driving it to a scale to have it weighed!!!!! Thanks

Hello all, new to the site here and happy to discover all the information about these old trucks that is being shared. My question is, does anyone know approx. what the GVWR would be for a 1970 CF-600 empty? Trying to figure out if i need a CDL or not and I don't want to get pulled over driving it to a scale to have it weighed!!!!! Thanks

In most situations, if it is a privately owned vehicle that is not within commerce and is tagged as a classic/antique/pleasure vehicle a CDL is not required, regardless of the weight.

Believe it or not, you do not need a CDL to drive a super bus RV weighing 50K if it is privately owned and tagged as an RV.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

it vary,s from state to state,,arizona requires class 2 for campers with air brakes,,and nevada requires non commercial class 2 for air brake vehicles,,just a couple i happen to know.bob

I have a Prevost bus that is an RV, weighs over 50,000 lbs and in Ohio where I live I do not need a CDL to drive it. When I bought my 1958 Mack dump I decided to get my class A CDL. With air brakes and pulling an equipment trailer that throws me over the edge and I didn't want to chance it. I took a week's training at a local truck driving school and passed the Class A CDL test even though I only needed a Class B license for my truck. I would recommend that anyone involved with trucks get their CDL.

I am 63 and have not had drivers training since I was 16. I have driven large RV's for 15 years and boy was I surprised what I learned about driving large trucks. I think it would make all of us better and safer drivers. As the saying goes "never too old to learn"

Denny

Edited by DCR
  • Like 1

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Thank you all for the input. I am a firefighter and we are exempt from having to carry a CDL in KY. All I do know is in KY if the vehicle is over 26,001 lbs. you must have a class B CDL. I bought this truck for my son and I to drive in fire parades and such and I have it registered as an antique motor vehicle but I don't know if it being registered that way if i'm still required to carry a CDL in KY. I guess I need to contact the state DOT on this? The wheight tag on the door does not have that information on it anymore and that's what I was curious about. I guess I will just take a chance and go weigh it one day and then I will know for sure. I know it would be hard to know the weight of this apparatus but it's an open jump seat CF cab with a 500 gallon tank and short body. I was curious what the average weight of other CF fire trucks similar to mine is? Thank you all for the help.

you can still be grandfathered in to get your class b cdl through the fire dept all you have to do is get your chief to get the paperwork from the county clerks office and list your driving exp with your trucks over 26,001. we had a couple of guys to get theirs that way.your truck will mostlikely have a g.v.w. of more than 26,001 our 67 f750 ford has 28,500 g.v.w... joe

I would be surprised if it weighs much more than 20K, especially without water on it. Is it gas or diesel? Diesel will weigh a little more, but I still doubt it approaches 26K.

Write to the Mack Museum with the chassis number and they will send you all of the information they have on the rig, including delivery pictures if they have them. The information will include the weight of the rig when it was delivered.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I would be surprised if it weighs much more than 20K, especially without water on it.

If this is a plain jane cookie-cutter CF (1000GPM/500GWT) with the standard body and a 237/5-speed, I was thinking that it couldn't weigh much more than 22,000. Add all of the equipment and maybe you'll approach that 26,001 threshold. Run it across a CAT scale. Get the gross and the axle weights, and keep the yellow ticket in the glove box.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 2 weeks later...

My 1972 CF has a GVWR of 33,000 lbs. I have removed the pump and tank and added in a flat bed and it weighs about 17,000 lbs empty but the statement above about the rated max is correct. In ohio, the cuttoff for needing a class B CDL is 26,001 lbs. In my case, having it registered as historic gets me around needing a CDL.

The CDL requirment isn't for what it weighs, it's for what it's gross weigh is rated. That's the "R" in GVWR

That's true, but at least in VA they give you the choice of what GVWR you want to register it at. As long as the rig doesn't weigh more than the registered GVWR you are OK with the law. Keep the registered and actual weight under 26K and you do not need a CDL. ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_83449', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_83449', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '83449' }, parseInt('0') );

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...