Bought A Superliner!

Hey,

I boldly steped into the 80's! Due to increasing family pressure to get a truck that has a bunk and a little more comfortable to drive, I found a 82 superliner. I dont have any pictures yet but will soon. The truck is a rwl788. It has a cummins diesel beleived to be a 400(cpl tag gone), 9 speed trans, mack 4.17 ratio rears on a mack E-Z ride under slung springs. According to my research the truck had a e-6 mack when new but they did a decent job installing the cummins. When you live this close to Columbus IN and half your family works at Cummins it's not a bad thing. I found the trans must have been worked on also the two top gears have changed position, 8th and 9th have switched places on the shift pattern. I would suspect that the gears have been changed in the trans for a taller overdrive gearing. Its on 24.5 rubber and it goes down the road faster than I would like to go in my b-model. The cab and doghouse are a little rough, but not to the point of not being able to repair. I will have to get Rob to help me out in that department. b61mack a.k.a. Ron Bogan has some parts it will surely need so I will have to get up his way soon. I would like to put external aircleaners on this truck, I have seen it done on superliner II's but was it an option on the I's? I will get them pictures up soon!

Morgan

15 gears...no waiting!

Congrads on the Superliner! I moved in to 1990 last year with a Marmon.

I know the Australian Superliners in he 80's had external air cleaners. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hey,

I boldly steped into the 80's! Due to increasing family pressure to get a truck that has a bunk and a little more comfortable to drive, I found a 82 superliner. I dont have any pictures yet but will soon. The truck is a rwl788. It has a cummins diesel beleived to be a 400(cpl tag gone), 9 speed trans, mack 4.17 ratio rears on a mack E-Z ride under slung springs. According to my research the truck had a e-6 mack when new but they did a decent job installing the cummins. When you live this close to Columbus IN and half your family works at Cummins it's not a bad thing. I found the trans must have been worked on also the two top gears have changed position, 8th and 9th have switched places on the shift pattern. I would suspect that the gears have been changed in the trans for a taller overdrive gearing. Its on 24.5 rubber and it goes down the road faster than I would like to go in my b-model. The cab and doghouse are a little rough, but not to the point of not being able to repair. I will have to get Rob to help me out in that department. b61mack a.k.a. Ron Bogan has some parts it will surely need so I will have to get up his way soon. I would like to put external aircleaners on this truck, I have seen it done on superliner II's but was it an option on the I's? I will get them pictures up soon!

Morgan

Hi Morgan i bet you could use some 3.65 rears to go with that overdrive and 24.5 tires. i will be talking to you. Ron

HI,

Yep, found it on craigslist in northern Indiana, After extensive bargaining I got it for 2/3 of the asking price. As for that Pete.... I will be keeping it, for anything else to use as a bad example!!! You know what they say about those red ovals.... they circle their mistakes.

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

post-61-0-85423500-1311366315_thumb.jpg

HI,

Yep, found it on craigslist in northern Indiana, After extensive bargaining I got it for 2/3 of the asking price. As for that Pete.... I will be keeping it, for anything else to use as a bad example!!! You know what they say about those red ovals.... they circle their mistakes.

Fred

Is this the one you got?looked to me to have alot of potential for the price.

Fred,

congratulations on your new truck. I sure would like to see some photos of the innards of your truck, as I'm building a model of a similar machine and photos like that are hard to find. Good luck with your machine, have a nice weekend

Paweł

HI,

Fred

Does this meanwe have tocall you Superlinerfred now ?

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys about the late reply, Started backing trough my old posts and for some reason they didn't update,

Thats the truck, I will get some more pictures up soon.

If I was to change my "handle" to superliner fred.... I think aunt "b" would get jelous! Although the old "b" has been getting a bit sassy lately. Need another truck around that I can take to a show or two to keep her in her place you know. I think I will keep the same handle though.

Fred ( a.k.a. Morgan)( a.k.a. superliner fred)

15 gears...no waiting!